Is it ok that my two cats use the same litter box

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi I have one indoor cat. She is 9 years old. Gwen is her name. I have had a feral cat for 8 years living outside until this winter when it was so cold he decided to come in. His name is bell. I took him to the vet of course and all is well. The thing is they dont get along well. I mean I can leave them alone. They just go there own way in the house. I did use two litter boxes for months now. But I am seeing how they only use 1 litter box now. I was wondering if I can take the other one away. I clean out there litter every day.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can give it a try and see how it goes.  The golden rule is one litter box per cat plus one extra, but if you are doing ok with one, give it a try.  You can always put the litter box back out if needed.

As for the cats not getting along, did you do proper cat to cat introductions?  It might help to work with them on introductions.  Food is often the way to their heart.  I can provide some links to articles and video if you are interested.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with ShadowsRescue - you can certainly give it a try. the one thing I would watch is if it's a covered litter box. If they don't get along, you 'll want to take to cover off the box so there's no chance of one cat trapping the other in there and having an altercation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did introduce them the right way. They get along but not good buddies. Every once in awhile My indoor cat hisses at Bell the outdoor cat. But thats about it. I feed them at the same time. IN The cold winter Bell was in every day. Now that summer is here all he wants is to go out every day. he goes in and out all day long. But I make sure he is in for the night. He use to use the other litter box but now he goes outside . But at night he just uses Gwens litter box. Thats why I dont know if right now I could get away with one litter box. One litter box is on the other bathroom in the back and the other one in the front. THey both use the front one.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I have one indoor cat. She is 9 years old. Gwen is her name. I have had a feral cat for 8 years living outside until this winter when it was so cold he decided to come in. His name is bell. I took him to the vet of course and all is well. The thing is they dont get along well. I mean I can leave them alone. They just go there own way in the house. I did use two litter boxes for months now. But I am seeing how they only use 1 litter box now. I was wondering if I can take the other one away. I clean out there litter every day.
Linda. Whisky and blighty share one box. Years before softy, gentle and lotto all shared one. And then gentle and lotto shared and they didn't like each other. I once saw gentle standing at the side of the litter box. It was a covered one and lotto was inside. When he came out he got a wack on the top of his head!
What I'm trying to say is they can share a litter box. Are they already?

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of my kittens use both of our litter boxes.  I think the cats seem to have some sort of truce going on.  If they're OK with sharing then I don't see the problem. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HaHa that is so funny Stewball. Thanks. So I think I will let them use one litterbox right now. But when I have to visit my daughter for the weekend I will use two.