Is It Normal To Slap And Choke Your Cat?

anon123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I met this girl, and she took me to her house where she has a bunch of cats. She was slapping them really hard on their butts and less hard on their faces and they kept walking up towards her after she would do it. She told me that they love it. She also told me that they like being choked. Is this normal? Or is this girl completely freaking insane? TBH, I'm more than a little freaked out...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't call it abuse. My cats like to be "thumped" on their butts and sides. If it hurt them they wouldn't like it. They'd run away. I've seen some cats who like pretend "choking" too. If the cats aren't scared I think it's OK.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anon123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I won't call it abuse. My cats like to be "thumped" on their butts and sides. If it hurt them they wouldn't like it. They'd run away. I've seen some cats who like pretend "choking" too. If the cats aren't scared I think it's OK.
This makes me feel better, because the cats didn't try to run away. What concerns me is how she figured out that they like that... I mean, she was slapping them on their butts and sides pretty hard o_O. As for pretend "choking," how in the world does someone think to try something like that with their cat?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to create a calm, peaceful and stress-free environment for my pets, because that's what I like for myself. People have different personalities though...and we know cats do too. I just can't imagine a cat enjoying being hit hard or choked though.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Slapping and choking them!? That sounds like she's abusing her cats. You need to report this (I'd say to a local SPCA?). These cats will need to be rehomed.
I totally agree with you. This women is insane. One one in their right minds hits a cat hart or chokes a cat. Pretend or otherwise.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat enjoys being stroked along her jawline and under her chin and occasionally insists that I pay full attention to her and stroke both sides simultaneously. Is that what she's doing when she "chokes" them?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandmother always had really skittish or mean cats. Maybe because my 3 male cousins lived in the same town and liked to throw her cat into the catfish pond just to see it swim (among other rough "play with the cat" antics). They said the cat "liked" being thrown into the pond.

I wonder if they would have been sweeter, more mellow cats if they didn't "like swimming" so much.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
No, it is not a good way to treat cats. It could very well escalate into her injuring the cats if one of them decides to fight back. There's also the possibility that she'll treat people the same way she does her cats. Without proof that she has injured her cats there's not much you can do at this point. If I were in your place I'd stay as far away from this person as I could get.

anon123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat enjoys being stroked along her jawline and under her chin and occasionally insists that I pay full attention to her and stroke both sides simultaneously. Is that what she's doing when she "chokes" them?
I haven't seen her "choke" them. She only mentioned that they like it when they're choked. I've only seen her spank/slap them... (which was enough to freak me out)

anon123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, it is not a good way to treat cats. It could very well escalate into her injuring the cats if one of them decides to fight back. There's also the possibility that she'll treat people the same way she does her cats. Without proof that she has injured her cats there's not much you can do at this point. If I were in your place I'd stay as far away from this person as I could get.
Yeah, it definitely made me question her character... I'm definitely going to distance myself from her.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
sounds like you need to find a new friend. And report her to local shelter for abuse. Slapping animals is abuse. If she is doing the soft thumping on their butts by the tail that's fine but not hard hitting. Pumps loves getting thumped on her back/butt in her younger years. but it was a light tapping not a slapping or painful thing. Thumping is a good way to describe it.

Choking?! Oh man sounds insane. I know adults like to play games like that but they shouldn't do that to animals. NO WORDS!!!! other than GET the HELL away from this woman!

anon123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sounds like you need to find a new friend. And report her to local shelter for abuse. Slapping animals is abuse. If she is doing the soft thumping on their butts by the tail that's fine but not hard hitting. Pumps loves getting thumped on her back/butt in her younger years. but it was a light tapping not a slapping or painful thing. Thumping is a good way to describe it.

Choking?! Oh man sounds insane. I know adults like to play games like that but they shouldn't do that to animals. NO WORDS!!!! other than GET the HELL away from this woman!
Yeah, the slapping was more like this: It just seemed like a bit much for me.

As for the choking, like I said, I haven't seen her do it, but I completely agree with you! :O

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
This is not normal at all. People like this often will become violent towards other people and children.

I hope this woman doesn't have children. If she does they also may be in danger. If children are involved you may have to call the police or child protection services.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandmother always had really skittish or mean cats. Maybe because my 3 male cousins lived in the same town and liked to throw her cat into the catfish pond just to see it swim (among other rough "play with the cat" antics). They said the cat "liked" being thrown into the pond.

I wonder if they would have been sweeter, more mellow cats if they didn't "like swimming" so much.
My Out-Laws would have claimed it was good for the cat. They feel sorry for our cats because they aren't outside exposed to all the dangers because they believe it's just part of nature and life for a cat they like to go missing. As my FIL one goes away and another shows up. Showing total disregard for the suffering said missing cat probably endured as it was shot, killed by dogs or coyotes, hit by a car and laid in a ditch suffering as it died. Animal abusers have a common theme neglect of physical abuse and that is lowering the value of an animals life to property they have a right to do with as they please.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the slapping was more like this: It just seemed like a bit much for me.

As for the choking, like I said, I haven't seen her do it, but I completely agree with you! :O
Those cats don't seem to mind, or be in pain from essentially being used like drums. I guess I would call that "hard patting" versus "hard hitting".

Still...not my cup of tea: I'm more of a "petter" than a "patter". :p

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Those cats don't seem to mind, or be in pain from essentially being used like drums. I guess I would call that "hard patting" versus "hard hitting".

Still...not my cup of tea: I'm more of a "petter" than a "patter". :p
I have heard of cats that like that pounding. It freaks me out and you really don't have to hit a cat, dog, child or adult that hard to cause physical damage. Just because they cats like it doesn't mean it's safe to do. I can think of nothing in the interaction between cats that would duplicate this as normal or natural. There is also the false notion that someone would know to use restraint. My cats would enjoy doing lots of things we don't allow.
As always on an open forum where anyone can read it's a bad idea to endorse anything that could cause injury. The OP mentioned but did not witness strangling. Many cats weight less than a year old human baby some not much more than newborns. If you wouldn't hit a baby that hard don't hit your cat either.