Is it normal for my cat to only come out when im home?

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is about a year old and he is pretty attached to me, he cuddles with me all the time and follows me around the house, it’s always been obvious that I’m his favorite person. I bottle fed him when he was a kitten and took care of him when he was sick so I don’t think it’s abnormal for there to be some attachment. He’s always been a little skittish but he warms up to people pretty quickly. I live with my boyfriend and he tells me that when I’m out at school or work my cat doesn’t come out at all. As soon as I’m home he is out and behaves like a normal cat, he doesn’t seem scared or nervous at all. My boyfriend is quiet and calm and has never hurt him, we have 2 other cats and they both love him. When I’m home he will walk up to my boyfriend and lay on his lap, he is fine with being pet by him, he just doesn’t come out at all when I’m not here. I feel bad because sometimes I work 16 hour shifts and I don’t want him to be nervous the whole time I’m gone.I got home at almost midnight the other day after leaving at about 6 and that was the first time he had come out all day.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
we have 2 other cats and they both love him
Whew, hon, that's some long hours for you :vibes: :heartshape: :hugs:
Anyway, maybe he doesn't love them?

Is he pooping, peeing and eating at all while you're ure gone?

What if you left a couple worn but not washed yet socks out for him? Maybe some cat music now and the?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is about a year old and he is pretty attached to me, he cuddles with me all the time and follows me around the house, it’s always been obvious that I’m his favorite person. I bottle fed him when he was a kitten and took care of him when he was sick so I don’t think it’s abnormal for there to be some attachment. He’s always been a little skittish but he warms up to people pretty quickly. I live with my boyfriend and he tells me that when I’m out at school or work my cat doesn’t come out at all. As soon as I’m home he is out and behaves like a normal cat, he doesn’t seem scared or nervous at all. My boyfriend is quiet and calm and has never hurt him, we have 2 other cats and they both love him. When I’m home he will walk up to my boyfriend and lay on his lap, he is fine with being pet by him, he just doesn’t come out at all when I’m not here. I feel bad because sometimes I work 16 hour shifts and I don’t want him to be nervous the whole time I’m gone.I got home at almost midnight the other day after leaving at about 6 and that was the first time he had come out all day.
I forgot to add that he will come out to eat wet food and then he goes right back
Whew, hon, that's some long hours for you :vibes: :heartshape: :hugs:
Anyway, maybe he doesn't love them?

Is he pooping, peeing and eating at all while you're ure gone?

What if you left a couple worn but not washed yet socks out for him? Maybe some cat music now and the?
yeah, the hours are long right now only because I’m in school but thankfully I will be back to a normal schedule in a few weeks! :) I forgot to mention in the post that he does come out to eat wet food, and use the litter box but he goes right back to wherever he was hiding. It’s just weird because when I’m home he is out all day, he just wants to hang out and get attention. My boyfriend is great with the cats and gives them a lot of attention, he even puts on bird videos for them to watch when he’s busy. The other 2 cats are out all day getting attention so I have no idea why he isn’t. I’m going to bring it up at his vet appointment next month, I just feel so bad that his days are so boring when I’m not here

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He may come back to normal when you're less stressed in a few weeks, but the worn socks that smell like you may help and a wellness check is never a bad idea when things don't add up to usual behavior. :purr: :vibes::crossfingers::sunshine:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He may come back to normal when you're less stressed in a few weeks, but the worn socks that smell like you may help and a wellness check is never a bad idea when things don't add up to usual behavior. :purr: :vibes::crossfingers::sunshine:
thank you for the suggestion! I’ll definitely leave some out :) I noticed he’s been very attached to one of my blankets that mostly I use so I think I’ll also start leaving it in the couch for him :)

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He could just be shy around men, I knew a cat who would rather run away and hide if a man was around (or children was the other ones she would run away and hide from)

she wasn't abused as far as we know, her human had died and she got handed into rescue, which is where i got to know her, sadly after adoption she only lived just over a year before organ failure claimed her :(

Beauty, she was called .........

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With your hours away from home, I would have to believe that your boyfriend takes care of your cat, such as feeding and cleaning the litter box, etc? If not, get him to start doing some of those things, and it will need to be while you are at home to start with, so your cat sees him doing those things for him. Having him play with your cat also in front of you at the onset too.

I know that Feeby is closer to my husband since he retired because he does more things for her than he did when he was working - not that she ever hid from him, but you get the gist.

Maybe there are some other ideas in this TCS article? (Ignore the title, as that does not apply in your case.)
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie was like that after I took her in. It took months for her to finally come out when I'm not there. She is now 9 yrs old and has never liked one of my 3 cats I've had 6 yrs

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
its totally normal cats normally sleep all day anyways they wake up as it gets dark to prowl or hunt ,patrol their turf etc. my cat graycie will sleep all day and wake up when my gf gets home from work also .i am also her favorite person your cat one day may decide to give your bf a tiny promotion enough to give a lil affection/attention during the day, just remember nobody can ever replace a guys mommy unless she was a bad one :lol:your his mommy bf is just second best forever