Is it normal for my cat to get a bruise after blood work

Simba’s mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat’s vet took some blood to run tests today. When I got back home I found the place where he’d taken blood from was bruised, the dr’s taken blood from his thigh, they tried taking it from his arm but the blood wasn’t getting into the syringe.
31FEE4A5-F4BE-442E-BD7A-10755A70522D.jpeg
44311677-3932-45A6-B144-94286282B62B.jpeg

It kind of has a bump too but it doesn’t seem to hurt him even when I touch. BIt it’s getting me worried. Is this supposed to happen??

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat’s vet took some blood to run tests today. When I got back home I found the place where he’d taken blood from was bruised, the dr’s taken blood from his thigh, they tried taking it from his arm but the blood wasn’t getting into the syringe. View attachment 420147View attachment 420148
It kind of has a bump too but it doesn’t seem to hurt him even when I touch. BIt it’s getting me worried. Is this supposed to happen??
Call them or an er dvm and send a pic if possible. It does not look normal to me.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have never seen that with my cat, but then I have never searched for such a thing. Blood draws on my cat have always been from the inner thigh area and have not presented any sort of issue, that I have known of anyway. It's not bleeding, correct?
I would, as advised above, call the vet and send a pic to them. It may be nothing, but it does look weird. Perhaps an inexperienced vet tech drew the blood, which the vet office should also know about? Hopefully, they can offer an explanation and/or give you some advice on whether you need to treat the area with something that would help heal it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Simba’s mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never seen that with my cat, but then I have never searched for such a thing. Blood draws on my cat have always been from the inner thigh area and have not presented any sort of issue, that I have known of anyway. It's not bleeding, correct?
I would, as advised above, call the vet and send a pic to them. It may be nothing, but it does look weird. Perhaps an inexperienced vet tech drew the blood, which the vet office should also know about? Hopefully, they can offer an explanation and/or give you some advice on whether you need to treat the area with something that would help heal it.
I thought it was bleeding too so I tried to clean it up but the paper cloth was clean. I thought bruises were a normal thing. I’ll call the vet in the morning. Thank you!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was bleeding too so I tried to clean it up but the paper cloth was clean. I thought bruises were a normal thing. I’ll call the vet in the morning. Thank you!
It looks like a hematoma which means blood pooled there prolly. It is prolly not serious but I would ask dvm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Simba’s mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks like a hematoma which means blood pooled there prolly. It is prolly not serious but I would ask dvm.
I didn’t know that was a thing. Hopefully it’s nothing serious. Thank you for telling me about it, I’ll make sure to call the vet first thing in the morning

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn’t know that was a thing. Hopefully it’s nothing serious. Thank you for telling me about it, I’ll make sure to call the vet first thing in the morning
I think sometimes it can happen when they draw blood, but good to makes sure it is nothing serious. Better safe than sorry 😀 my beloved Angelina had sores sort of like that after fluids I gave at home as per dvm instruction after she received convenia which made her severely anemic, that was a sign.