Is It Normal For Mother Cats To Still Eat Kitten Poop At 5 Weeks Old?

Mummacat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens are using the dirt box now so I was surprised and really grossed out when I watched mumma cat cleaning her and eating the biggest turd. It had to land on the blanket and she kept eating it and in the end I cleaned up the remainder. Was a vomit worthy moment!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mummacat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My last foster mum had an emergency spay and her kittens had to be weaned early and the other one had already weaned hers when they came to me... Had lots of cats through and hadn't seen this before not like that

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They usually stop once the kittens start eating regular food and not nursing all the time. I have seen mamas cleaning a kitten up but not actually eating the waste. I suppose she is an exception to the rule. Her instinct to hide any trace of the kittens from predators must be very strong. So try to look at her as having a very strong mothering instinct, I doubt it will continue much longer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mummacat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is a very good mumma, she growls all the time which I can't decide is because she's got kittens or because she's semi-wild. I am keeping her and one of her babies that has bonded to me. She cuddles them which is very cute.