Is It Normal For A Nursing Cat To Drink So Much Water?

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a foster cat with four 2 week old babies. I got her a week ago. At first, she wouldn’t eat anything for two-three days and only drank water. Then, she finally started eating dry food. But what concerns me is her excessive water intake... about 19-24 oz a day. If she’s not laying with the babies, she’s drinking water. I’ve fostered a few nursing cats and none drank nearly as much water as she does.

Should I be concerned? Or is this just because she needs a lot for milk production and doesn’t get water from wet food (she refuses to eat it)?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she needs fluids and is likely not getting enough by shunning the wet food.

Will she eat plain boiled chicken or tuna fish? Did she eat wet food before you got her? If so, what brand?

Is she peeing a lot with no trouble?

Does she seem fine otherwise?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She will not eat any boiled chicken or treats I have offered. I have no idea what she ate or whether she ate wet food before I got her. She came on a transport from Oklahoma and they didn't give any info. I have tried every flavor I can find from lamb to rabbit as well as different textures. Even mixed it with kmr, which she really loves, but she still won't eat the wet food mixture.

She seems fine behavior and health wise besides some dry skin. Very inexperienced young mother. Does't know how to clean her babies, but at least they all eat well and she will stimulate them.

Thank you for the reassuring response! I guess all my previous foster mothers got most of their water intake through wet food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try Gerber turkey baby food. She may go for that. Cats usually like it. If so, it’s protein-rich and would help her coat.

Is she eating dry kitten chow now for the extra nutrients it provides?

Last edited:

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes she is eating a high quality kitten dry food now. I will try the baby food. Thanks!

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update: I guess the turkey baby food kick-started her taste for wet food. She now can't get enough of it! She's also started to drink less water and her entire behavior has changed. She has become so very sweet with me and even started cleaning and taking care of the babies better.Not sure why the wet food has made her a happier cat... maybe her body is controlling water intake better? Whatever it is, it's working!