Is it normal for a kitten to not play at all?

Chaos99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted a kitten from my local shelter about 2 weeks ago. She was born on 12/3 and brought in on 1/18, or at least that is what the paperwork said. I adopted at the beginning of february. When I was there at the shelter, she was playing with toys and even eating out of my hand. She had just been spayed on 2/3. Well once I got her home, its like she became a totally different pet. She refused to eat out of my hand, refuses to play, no matter how many toys I buy her. At first I thought it was due to the surgery, but its been a bit longer and things have not improved.

She is incredibly clingy and insists on either being on my lap or chest at all times. She meows all the time and will not stop even though there is nothing wrong with her. This can go on for hours. At first, I let it because i know she was new to my place and she had had surgery. But now, its been almost two weeks, and it is not getting any better. She sleeps, eats and drinks fine. She goes to the rest room fine but she doesnt cover her droppings all the way sometimes, but if I won't hold her, she will constantly meow until she gives up and then she will get on the chair near me and just STARE. If she doesn't fall asleep there, she will literally stare at me for hours. It is honestly creepy af.

I had seen some advice on getting her a buddy, so I got another kitty around the same age. This one was actually brought to the shelter at 8 weeks. She knows how to play, she does the crouch and chase thing, and she even will not use her front claws when trying to get into my lap. She plays with all the toys that I get her. I suspect that the first kitten was taken away too early from its mother, is it possible that she will learn some of these skills from her kitty buddy? The kitty buddy has tried to play with her on multiple occassions, but she will not engage. At best, my first kitty will just watch her play, but thats it. I am at my wits end, will this get any better? ..advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chaos99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two weeks is not long at all with the spay surgery in there. The surgery is no joke, especially for female cats.

She will play. Bet on it.
i hope so..the other kitten has had it recently too and she is already doing better.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, give her time. She will come around. You may also check again with the vet if it goes on further.

Keep us updated. :)

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some female cats come home after being spayed almost as if nothing has happened, others take a week to recover and some take longer still. A small, young female kitten is not easy to spay - and it is easy for damage to be done to surrounding tissue. Some vets refuse to do such an operation on very young cats and we should accept their decision. Others feel more competent and usually do a good job. It could be that she had a close friend (cat or human) at the shelter and is feeling lonely and lost - hence her being clingy. Unhappy cats cannot play - but once she knows that you're not going to desert her, she'll relax and start to play again.
But a check-up with a vet is a good idea - it will either discover a physical cause or put your mind at rest that everything is healing well.
Good luck!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
The only thing normal about kittens is that they're not normal. You basically have an animal who will change habits, personalities, likes and dislikes more often than you'll change your socks. She'll play at some point, you can bet on it.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried playing with her using a wand you .... like those long ribbon like ones. Peacock feathers work great & are irresistible to all cats!

I had a hyper kitten that never wanted to cuddle, so I lured him onto my lap with wand toys for a quick few seconds cuddle. I would get her on my lap, get her comfortable & try dragging a feather across my lap. Try playing with the other kitten in front of her. Basically just ignore her and play with the other kitten while still having her on your lap.

Also hold her all she wants, carry her around in reverse hoodie if that is what she needs. If a baby is crying, you hold them. so give her all the comfort she needs.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Feathers don't work on all cats. My cat won't have anything to do with feathers. She likes the fuzzy tail attachment on her wand toys.

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my foster kittens come from farms or are feral it takes them awhile to learn how to play, I suspect all their energy went into surviving and staying quiet. My last litter it took one kitten a solid 3 weeks before he started to run around and play properly - I would be dangling a wand in front of him and he'd be looking up staring into space - like not even looking at the toy!

The fact that you got her a buddy will be the best thing for her. She will learn how to play, just give it time.