Is It "demodex Cati" On My Kitty?

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was brushing my 1 year old yesterday and saw at least 3 small hair like things.. like "eyelashes". With a rounded head.. kind of like the root of your eyelash if it were pulled. Now, I don't think I pulled out any of my eyebrows or eyelashes on him.. so I started googling of course. Something called Demodex Cati came up - can anyone tell me more about it?
Did I just hallucinate "eyelashes" on him or should I be concerned?

He's healthy, playful, eats as usual. He eats Dr. Elsey's clean protein and uses Dr. Elsey's litter. I clean his litter box once everyday and provide him fresh water everyday. All his shots are up to date. He's on Revolution for heartworm/parasites that was applied on him last week and he had a vet visit 2 weeks ago for a bump on his head because he's a wild child. Vet had said everything looks normal.. Could this condition appear/develop in 2 weeks? What causes this? The only thing different that I might have noticed is he seems to be itchy on his cheeks and around his mouth, whiskers.. always trying to rub his face. What should I do?

PS: He's the love of my life and I am always, always worried about his health and well being.. so maybe y'all might think I'm overreacting.. but I didn't want to take any chances. He's my first kitty ever and I don't have much knowledge on cat health/behavior..

Thank you!!!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, do you have a picture of him and what his face looks like? I had to look up what you posted, turns out it's cat mange. If your cat had mange, he'd be missing fur in places. I don't know what you saw but my understanding of it always was mites are too small to been seen by the eye alone. Also Revolution does kill ear mites so I'm assuming, it will kill other mites as well. I don't think you're over reacting at all, he's your kitty and you're concerned about him because you love him. :heartshape:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They rub their faces and chins on everything to mark their scent/territory. Now if you are using plastic food bowls or don't clean them frequently they can get Acne around their chin and mouth. It may look a little scabby or dark and flaky as it gets worse. Cats can have various longer hairs on their body. They also have whiskers in various other locations too. They shed naturally and grow back.

Yes. Pictures would help :)