Is it cruel to leave my cats in my bedroom all day if…

Tatum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two cats that get along great with one another. I moved back to my parents’ house for financial reasons and my parents have two cats (that don’t get along well with each other) and two big dogs. My room is on the larger side and it’s got tons of toys, two cat trees, a tv that plays “cat tv” videos from YouTube all day, and a ledge for them to sit at the window and look out. I’m gone from about 6:30 to about 7:30 five days a week and 6:30 to 11 on Saturday. Some Sundays and every Wednesday I’m off work. They’re in my room about 90% of the time, but occasionally I’ll let my parents’ dogs and cats outside and let my cats explore the house for a couple of hours, which they love to do. I was going to introduce my cats with my parents’ cats by doing the food method on the other side of a door or baby gate, but I’m rarely ever home to do that and it’s difficult getting my cats and the other cats‘ feeding habits lined up. Also, my dad is notorious for leaving the back door open too long, allowing their cats out too late at night where they usually end up spending the night outside. I don’t want that for my cats, who are strictly indoors. I’m also afraid of my cats being harassed/scared by the big dogs. I know my cats are safe in my room but I also know they want to get out of my room and go explore. I feel cruel sometimes. What do you think?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tatum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention there are two litter boxes in the room and I leave dry food out all day. I feed them wet food in the mornings.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
When I think of some of the gaunt, unfed, flea-bitten ferals I’ve seen in my lifetime (with nobody looking out for them) I think these guys have it made! You sound like the kinda pet owner who, if they did have more time, would certainly give it to the cats! Maybe, vary the toys they have in there?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cats said, "We'll be moving right in!!" It sounds like they have a wonderful Kitty Haven that any cat would be lucky to have. I think they will be fine. Be sure to play with them some, and give them a lot of love! :catrub:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many cats live happily their entire lives in studio apartments, which are only bigger than your room because it has a bathroom attached. Cats, as all animals are happiest with their person and the animals they love. Better to live in a shed with the one you love than in a palace without them.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Many cats live happily their entire lives in studio apartments, which are only bigger than your room because it has a bathroom attached. Cats, as all animals are happiest with their person and the animals they love. Better to live in a shed with the one you love than in a palace without them.
I've always said I would live with mine in a cardboard box than live anywhere else without them. :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Many cats live happily their entire lives in studio apartments
:yeah: This was my first thought too!

I have two cats that get along great with one another.
Since you said they both get along so well with each other I'd hate to upset the applecart and have them stressed out. Also if you're planning to move should your financial situation change then this wouldn't be a concern. I agree with the above members that you have done everything possible to insure the cats are well taken care of both physically and mentally. :goldstar:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like you set up a lot of enrichment for them!
Nobel and Lily were much happier in our studio apartment (2 people, 2 cats and some pet rats), than in a bigger space (3 bed house) with roommates. There wasn't even other pets!

There's some people on YouTube who have renter friendly ways to build space UP in small apartments. So you can do that too if you're feeling guilty.

MonsieurTN on YouTube gives lots of tips: