Is it cruel to have just one cat?

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello

BACKGROUND

I recently adopted a stray that kept showing up on my girlfriends doorsteps. It lived it’s whole first year outside. Due to the friendly nature of the cat (+ the miserable cold weather) I was more than happy to welcome her into my home.

I’ve gotten all her vaccines, spray surgery, de-worm + Flea & Tick (she had a huge engorged tick on her), and a TON of toys =)

One month later she is now doing very well. She will jump up on my bed, play, and follow my husband & I around the house. She still scares easy and prefers to not sleep in the open, but that’s expected.

Personality wise she seems to be very submissive towards humans (never hissed or scratched at us). I’m not sure what she would be like with other cats….

Since I am now a cat mom I want her to be happy. Currently my husband and I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and probably will still be living in an apartment come at least next year. Our nature girl CANNOT go outside in our area (extremely busy) and I sometimes wonder if she likes living alone, or if it’s actually cruel.

FINDINGS

I’ve read some literature that suggested some cats enjoy living alone, and that sometimes you can bring a cat in that does not get along with the other, and it becomes a living hell for the less dominate one. The less dominate one lives all day in stress and that stress creates awful problems both psychologically and biologically.  

QUESTIONS

So to summarize…

1. Do you think my cat would be happy with a friend?

2. If yes, what kind of cat should I adopt? An older cat or a younger one? What sex?

3. At what age is too old to introduce a new cat?
Thanks

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are as different personality wise as people are. It's a general rule of thumb that cats do better in pairs. I went to the shelter to get one and walked out with her and her sister. 
  Now I have 3. 

I think your cat would do OK with another one IF the introductions are handled properly. This article is really helpful about that. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-successfully-introduce-cats-the-ultimate-guide

There tends to be more issue with 2 females so I'd go with a male of approximately the same age as her. This will give her someone to grow up with. Older cats often don't have a lot of patience for the young, full of energy whippersnappers 

No, it's not cruel to only have one though. You have to take into consideration your finances (for future vet bills and such), your home situation and your cat's personality. If you feel that it's doable for you, by all means get another one. All cats deserve a loving home.

This article will help you choose another one if you decide to go that route. I really don't think that there's any age that's too old to introduce a new cat if it's done properly. 

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-other-cat

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know in my case it would be cruel to bring in another cat. Midi is so set in his ways and really gets stressed out easily and at his age stress is something I am try to avoid. Like @Kat0121  stated it is really dependant on the cat. If you do have only one you do need to make an effort to play with them as often as you can  

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think kittens ought to be raised alone. I don't think I'd call it cruel though. For adult cats, if they seem happy alone they probably are. Don't get another cat unless you want another cat.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This may be the first, and probably only, time that I'll partially disagree with Kat0121.  SOME cats do better in pairs.  SOME cats do well in small groups.  MANY cats do better alone.  Even in feral colonies, individual cats spend much of their time in solitary pursuits. 

Since you don't know your cat's background, whether or not she ever had a real social interaction with another cat, and you say she scares easily, you want to consider this carefully.  Most cat behaviorists are of the opinion that cats, by and large, do not need companionship of other cats to nearly the degree that we need companionship.  This probably has to do with their extreme territoriality.  Take you time.  Should you decide not to get another cat, yours will be purrrrrrfectly happy with your attention.  Should you decide to get one, before you do, take a look in our Articles for wonderful information on introducing your cat to a newcomer.

Now, if you were asking about adopting two cage mates who get along well, I'd be giving you totally different advice!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat was a rescue, and in her case I feel like she was sick of being around other cats and is happy for some solitude. It definitely varies, depending on age, disposition, and your schedule. My cat looks to me for entertainment and companionship, which I am happy and able to provide. She's very happy being the only diva of the house.

jdanke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cruel no not at all.. If shes made herself at home and is functioning fine with the arrangement your all the entertainment she needs...maybe a few extra toys..   I would however suggest if you plan on a second kitten to do it sooner than later. Ive never had an issue with mixing young cats in the past.  Just recently though I was in the same situation a cold wet stray at my back door crying away... I tried to find a home for her but eventually i broke down and took her in.. My guy spike is pretty old and set in his ways when he realized there was another cat in the house it wasn't good. He had a partner that passed away a few years back so I figured I was ok and i did all the proper introductions taking my time. That was October.. they still live in separate rooms and its a very slow stressful process.  If your thinking one and done she will be fine alone, if you think you want another Id move soon and take it slow. Good advice above on introductions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
~~~~~~~~~LONG OVERDUE UPDATE~~~~~~~~
Thanks everyone for your replies!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner to this thread. I've been away from TCS from some time. 

Around the time I posted this thread I was in my last semester of nursing school, and my husband was in accident and hurt his back pretty bad. 

I feel so rude for not thanking you all sooner for all your kind thoughts and suggestions!

Well I did end up getting Flavia a friend! And it was one of the best decisions ever!

Meet Abraham 

He was an ex-feral; the very tip of one of his ears is clipped.

He was submissive and shy; all the other shelter cats actually bullied him. Due to his submissive nature I thought he would be a perfect match for Flavia, and he is. They often sleep together and play! I've never seen them fight, or even hiss at each other. It was meant to be. I couldn't be happier!

Cheers everyone!

Last edited:

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
awwww.... they're adorable together!  thank you for rescuing flavia, and i'm so happy that she and abraham get along so well :)