Is It Best To Just Let Him Be Afraid?

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So now that Jonesy has really settled in I've decided it's time to start working on his relationship with my other critters; snakes, spiders, and gerbils. I've trained several cats to tolerate these animals and not harm them (at least while under supervision), as the typical cat response would otherwise be to attack/play with them. But Jonesy is different. He's very curious and playful towards them when they're in their respective enclosures, but as soon as they're out in the open he's terrified! So far I've only introduced him to individuals who completely ignore cats, so as to avoid intimidating him, but even a snake or spider that sits completely still on the floor has Jonesy huddled afraid in a corner.

Now, with past cats the whole point of training has been to ensure the safety of the smaller critters as well as to ensure that the cat does not scare or aggravate them with inappropriate body language. But if Jonesy's inclination is to stay far away from them, then neither of those concerns should be an issue, right? Should I just let him be afraid, or work on his confidence some more? I do have some animals, particularly some of the snakes, which are very curious about cats and are likely to approach Jonesy quite directly if they encounter him, so I'm not sure if Jonesy might become unpredictable in such a situation.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just keep them separate ... maybe work on building up his confidence with one type of animal at a time/ Like the snakes (assuming they are not boa constrictors.) I want parakeets. I would LOVE to have some. However I have cats & one of boys takes special glee from hunting/releasing/catching birds inside the house. So I don't own birds. I thought about buying them hamster for entertainment ... but even as much as I dislike hamsters I couldn't bring myself to keep an animal in a cage where it's natural predator was outside of it's cage licking it's chops. Sometimes you just have to accept an animal's nature.