is it best to feed your fur baby the same food all the time?

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I was talking to another cat mommy and she told me I should try to feed Mojo the same food all the time and not mix it up. Now, I have been feeding Mojo a variety of decent quality wet foods since he is not too picky and he eats everything up.

I am wondering is it really best to feed him the same food (brand & recipe) all the time? I feel he may get tired of eating the same thing day after day and want variety. I must say he loved his Tiki Cat Sardine cutlets he had this morning! :thumbsup:

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I rotate a handful of brands and flavors of wet pate throughout the week with no issues. I believe it’s dry food only that you mostly have to worry about switching up.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm in the "fed as wide a variety of healthful food items as possible" school-of-thought myself.

My cat, Desmond, who seems to be among the world's least picky cats, seems highly content with that plan.

We do PRM (raw) feeding, but I'd do the same with "wet" food (barring any food sensitivities/allergies, which we are not dealing with).

Bill

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I rotate a handful of brands and flavors of wet pate throughout the week with no issues. I believe it’s dry food only that you mostly have to worry about switching up.
I don't feed him dry food. I have read a lot about wet vs dry food and I don't see much benefit in feeding my cat dry food. I feed Mojo fairly decent quality canned wet food (Wellness, Tiki Cat, Weruva etc..) and he usually devours everything. I also prefer to not "free feed" him which he is fine with and will tell me when he is hungry and he certainly knows how to inform me. I also make sure to put just enough in his food dish so he rarely leaves anything leftover.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't feed him dry food. I have read a lot about wet vs dry food and I don't see much benefit in feeding my cat dry food. I feed Mojo fairly decent quality canned wet food (Wellness, Tiki Cat, Weruva etc..) and he usually devours everything. I also prefer to not "free feed" him which he is fine with and will tell me when he is hungry and he certainly knows how to inform me. I also make sure to put just enough in his food dish so he rarely leaves anything leftover.
I think Mojo scored big time when he gained you for his guardian.

Two thumbs up!

Bill

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think Mojo scored big time when he gained you for his guardian.

Two thumbs up!

Bill
I scored big time adopting him! He is such a good boy and is never cross with me and loves being around me as much as I love him. He is not just a "cat" to me he is my baby and I want the best diet I can afford to give him. However I must make an appointment with the local cat hospital/vet clinic to set up a regular checkup schedule. He is only 6 months old and I want to jeep him healthy for many years to come.

What I have been feeding him so far has agreed with him and his stool is not loose and he is urinating fine. He just needs to put on a little weight but that will come as he grows.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it's best to feed as wide a variety as you can unless there is a medical reason to only feed a specific food. It can even help prevent picky eating if you expose them to as many different foods as possible as kittens, which is useful if you can't get one food for some reason. It's not uncommon, especially in the past couple years, for there to be food shortages were you may need to get something different simply because stores can't get the food you normally feed in stock. Also in case of a recall on food you need to be able to feed something else. Not to mention if left to their own devices they don't eat just one prey item everyday, they hunt and eat a variety of proteins like bugs, mice, birds, fish, and even lizards depending on where they live. So feeding cats the same thing everyday isn't really natural, and different kinds of foods still have different nutrient amounts, even though they all say "balanced diet" so just like humans a variety is going to be healthier.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I scored big time adopting him! He is such a good boy and is never cross with me and loves being around me as much as I love him. He is not just a "cat" to me he is my baby and I want the best diet I can afford to give him. However I must make an appointment with the local cat hospital/vet clinic to set up a regular checkup schedule. He is only 6 months old and I want to jeep him healthy for many years to come.

What I have been feeding him so far has agreed with him and his stool is not loose and he is urinating fine. He just needs to put on a little weight but that will come as he grows.
I'm with you my friend. Desmond landed in our family last October and uh, we are all pretty bonded. LOL

Should you ever wish to discuss other healthy feeding options: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

Bill

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rotating variety and brands minimizes a hunger strike if for some reason a brand or variety is dscontinued or there is a recall. Also varying proteins gives you options to eliminate one or more from the diet if your cat develops an allergy / sensitivity to it and not risk a hunger strike because the cat doesn't like the strange new protein he's never had before.

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's best to feed as wide a variety as you can unless there is a medical reason to only feed a specific food. It can even help prevent picky eating if you expose them to as many different foods as possible as kittens, which is useful if you can't get one food for some reason. It's not uncommon, especially in the past couple years, for there to be food shortages were you may need to get something different simply because stores can't get the food you normally feed in stock. Also in case of a recall on food you need to be able to feed something else. Not to mention if left to their own devices they don't eat just one prey item everyday, they hunt and eat a variety of proteins like bugs, mice, birds, fish, and even lizards depending on where they live. So feeding cats the same thing everyday isn't really natural, and different kinds of foods still have different nutrient amounts, even though they all say "balanced diet" so just like humans a variety is going to be healthier.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on it as well. I thought "cats don't eat the same thing in the wild so why should they in captivity?"
So far Mojo eats up most everything but later tonight he didn't seem too interested in the Tiki Cat Sardine cutlets. Even after heating it a little in the microwave. He gobbled it up in the morning but he was pretty hungry then. I added a couple treats to the food and he finally ate it. 👍