Is it bad to have two male kittens?

madisonmj97

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They aren't litter mates and one is 2 months and the other is about 6 weeks. And I'm asking this bc of dominance and spraying and etc... Can they turn on each other as they get to adulthood??

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many males get along well with each other. The key is proper introduction attempts, outlined here:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

Neutering is highly encouraged and solves many behavior problem related to territorial aggression and spraying. Around 8 weeks, or 2 lbs (some vets won't do it till 6 months, but I think that's risky), before their first spray (or heat cycle for females).

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
In my experience male kittens tend to get along a lot easier than female kittens. There is a lot of rough and tumble play fighting, of course, but they soon become close buddies. We introduced our 3 month old foster kitten, Toby, to our other cats recently. We have male and female cats, all fixed, ranging from 18 months to 13 years old. There was a bit of hissing at first but now they all get along like a house on fire.

As your cats are so young they should become friends pretty quickly but you will definitely need to get them both fixed soon. Male cats are very smelly if they aren't neutered.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find that males can become great buddies, as long as they're neutered at the proper age. If you don't plan on neutering (a bad idea for many reasons), yes, it's likely they will start fighting around age 2 or so.

kirk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 male and 1 female. My oldest male was born May 8 2013, the other male and female were born June 11, 2013. So they are close in age. We got the older male in early July 2013 and the other two late August. They were all neutered and spayed December 22 (6 and 7 months old). We have NEVER had any issues with fighting or spraying. They all get along great. They cuddle, play, groom each other and look for each other. They are now 16 months old. 

Holistic Cat Mama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They aren't litter mates and one is 2 months and the other is about 6 weeks. And I'm asking this bc of dominance and spraying and etc... Can they turn on each other as they get to adulthood??
As long as their neutered they'll be fine. My males are 4 and 5 now and get along great. They're not like dogs.
But why do you have a 6 week old kitten? Did something happen to its mother?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 male cats that are not litter mates that were adopted a year apart. Apollo was a year old when I adopted 7 week old Casey. They play together and groom each other. I also have an older male cat named Sonny who is very laid back and accepted the other two quickly. Apollo was was adopted at 3 months old and Sonny was about 4 years old at the time. I also have a senior female cat. It definitely took my female longer to adjust. She is a hisser when she does not like something they do but it never goes past that. My other 3 back off when she hisses. Her name is Starbuck and I have had her since she was 6 weeks old. She will be 14 in December. Starbuck prefers to only interact with us. The other 3 cats really do not interact with her much. Once in a while she will groom them and they behave and sit still. If Starbuck wants to interact with the other cats they do allow it. Starbuck has to be the one to start the interaction or she hisses. One day I was watching tv and noticed Starbuck and Sonny were actually playing. Sonny was laying on his back rolling around letting Starbuck pounce on him. She is the oldest but the smallest of the 4.