Is it a Bengal?

gdaly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to adopt this cat from the animal shelter, as soon as his kennel cough is gone. He is classified as a Bengal, according to the pound. His fur is very soft it is like touching velvet or silk, like nothing I have felt on a cat before. What do you think from the pictures?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Something is it, is my guess. Moggies may come with spots over the whole body, I have myself seen one such in my nearest neigbours garden (he apparently is a mainly indoor cat with somebody of my neighbours).

But here we do have distinct spots and such a color unusual for moggies.

So yes, its something, bengal or some other of the spotted breeds.

Swell, what a find!

Lets hope you will be best friends with each other too!

Good luck!

leshelby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's precious whatever he is! He does have some very distinct spots that's partial to Bengal cats. He's beautiful!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a beauty!

Bengals can be a handful sometimes.  There are a few people here that have them, so if you need advice at any point start a new thread about your new friend and they will be able to help you out.

Good luck with the new addition and keep us posted with lots of pix!

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Well he looks to me like at least part Bengal.    Not show quality  Bengal.  but does not look to me like a spotted domestic .   i do see what looks like some faint rosetting on those spots.  

Now something about the shape reminds me more of Savannah.     looks like a bit longer head than most Bengals. and smaller feet.    I guess possible it could be some of that too.  

but I will PM Cat Person  

Any idea how old he is?   

Hope he recovers soon!  

Have you done some research on living with cats like this?   they can be very high energy!  

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gdaly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 Well he looks to me like at least part Bengal.    Not show quality  Bengal.  but does not look to me like a spotted domestic .   i do see what looks like some faint rosetting on those spots.  

Now something about the shape reminds me more of Savannah.     looks like a bit longer head than most Bengals. and smaller feet.    I guess possible it could be some of that too.  

but I will PM Cat Person  

Any idea how old he is?   

Hope he recovers soon!  

Have you done some research on living with cats like this?   they can be very high energy!  
The animal shelter said he is about three years old.

Me too, can't wait to take him home.

I've done some research on Bengal cats, and will continue to do so. They seem like a very intelligent breed. 

I'm looking forward to having a cat with energy. My other cat is more of a lap cat and likes to sleep all the time, but she is older. 

gdaly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone :) 

I agree he is a beautiful cat. I will post more pictures when I can bring him home.

Such a great forum! I didn't know about it until yesterday.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do be careful about introductions. A high-energy cat can really get on an older lap cat's nerves. There are some articles on TCS about how to introduce cats; they offer good advice. To them I would add: Tire your high-energy cat out with some play before their first few interactions.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert but I think he is at least part Bengal. His coloring and the horizontal alignment of his spots are the give aways for me.

Here's is my Bengal, Coco (with her always attentive minion, Zara):

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do be careful about introductions. A high-energy cat can really get on an older lap cat's nerves. There are some articles on TCS about how to introduce cats; they offer good advice. To them I would add: Tire your high-energy cat out with some play before their first few interactions.
Yes, I agree.  It may even end he will be too much to this calmer resident, and you will end with being forced to adopting a third cat, as the main play companion for this bengal.

But after this, all three will be taking their rests and washing sessions together.   :)

In fact, I do know such a true story, where this third cat was a russian blue who needed a new home.    :)

gdaly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm going to introduce them slowly over time. I'll have to read those, thanks for the advice I'll make sure to tire him out before finally introducing them.

gdaly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert but I think he is at least part Bengal. His coloring and the horizontal alignment of his spots are the give aways for me.

Here's is my Bengal, Coco (with her always attentive minion, Zara):

Aww both of your cats are beautiful. Yeah I think he has some Bengal in him.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

, you are a 100% correct, IMHO

Now something about the shape reminds me more of Savannah.     looks like a bit longer head than most Bengals. and smaller feet.

You are 100% right again
. Are you sure you are not a hybrid cat owner, rescuer, and or cattery. You "eye" is SPOT ON
!

I guess possible it could be some of that too.  

There is also possibly some Felis chaus in the cat. Since, it is a MUCH easier hybrid to produce (Chausie/JC hybrid) and with the SBT Bengal in the cat, you get almost the same coat color/pattern as you do with a "pure savannah". What  people get from the Felis chaus is the physical structure/bone structure that is seen in the Leptailurus serval hybrid.

but I will PM Cat Person  

I am sorry, that I just got back to you
. Busy weekend and week all around

Any idea how old he is?   

Yes, that is an important point. Since, the Leptailurus serval and Felis chaus hybrids mature much slower and longer then SBT Bengals or pure domestics.

Hope he recovers soon!  

Me too and some
just in case

Yes and very destructive. They are NOT for people that are "materialistic". You also must "cat proof" your home

While the hybrids are very attractive cats, many are not like ordinary house cats (Felis silvestris catus).

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are one MILLION percent correct
!!!!
To the OP,

I definitely agree the cat has a large percentage of Bengal in it's genetic make up. The look of the cat alone. Plus, the fact, that you describe his pelt (fur) as being "so soft" that is like an SBT Bengal's coat. I have owned an F1 Bengal, F3 Savannah and a pure Leptailurus serval. Plus, various domestic cats (Felis silvestris catus). So, I can give you some introduction help, if you want. Since, the behavior of even F5/SBT (that is what that cat is and most Bengals are) hybrid CAN BE vastly different then the "house cat" (Felis silvestris catus).

Also, I am going to guess, the cat has some F5/SBT Savannah in him/her. The fairly large ears and and long thin tail, seem to be more common in the Savannah breed. Though, I have NEVER owned a SBT Bengal. I have had foresters, but I only owned an F1 Bengal. Can I get a look at his eyes/face and him standing up? A Savannah is taller/longer/leaner then the average Bengal of the same generation.

Are you aware of the behavioral differences (once the cat is healthy) between a exotic cat hybrid and a domestic? If you are interested, I will let you know.

Lastly, if, it is truly "kennel cough" that is seen in the hybrids and pure exotics FAR MORE then domestics in my experience.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To the owner of Coco,

I have NEVER had the domestic just lick the hybrid. The hybrid always licked the domestics too. The photo's are just adorable. Is Coco a recent acquisition? I do not remember that cat being mentioned. Though, I am so ditsy one never knows

gdaly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To the OP,

I definitely agree the cat has a large percentage of Bengal in it's genetic make up. The look of the cat alone. Plus, the fact, that you describe his pelt (fur) as being "so soft" that is like an SBT Bengal's coat. I have owned an F1 Bengal, F3 Savannah and a pure Leptailurus serval. Plus, various domestic cats (Felis silvestris catus). So, I can give you some introduction help, if you want. Since, the behavior of even F5/SBT (that is what that cat is and most Bengals are) hybrid CAN BE vastly different then the "house cat" (Felis silvestris catus).

Also, I am going to guess, the cat has some F5/SBT Savannah in him/her. The fairly large ears and and long thin tail, seem to be more common in the Savannah breed. Though, I have NEVER owned a SBT Bengal. I have had foresters, but I only owned an F1 Bengal. Can I get a look at his eyes/face and him standing up? A Savannah is taller/longer/leaner then the average Bengal of the same generation.

Are you aware of the behavioral differences (once the cat is healthy) between a exotic cat hybrid and a domestic? If you are interested, I will let you know.

Lastly, if, it is truly "kennel cough" that is seen in the hybrids and pure exotics FAR MORE then domestics in my experience.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To the owner of Coco,

I have NEVER had the domestic just lick the hybrid. The hybrid always licked the domestics too. The photo's are just adorable. Is Coco a recent acquisition? I do not remember that cat being mentioned. Though, I am so ditsy one never knows
Yes, thanks I would love some introduction help with the cats.

So is a SBT a fifth generation cat, which would mean less wild blood right? 

Wow, Savannah in him also, that's a lot of hybrid haha. Is it normal of people to breed Savannah's with Bengal's?

Yes I'll try to go up to the animal shelter and take a picture, either tomorrow or the next day depending on how I'm feeling (just had surgery) but I'll call to see how his cough is, hopefully it's getting better.

I would like to know more about the behavioral differences, I only know what I have read on the internet, but I have not read up on Savannah-Bengal mixes.

Thanks, for your help :)

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, thanks I would love some introduction help with the cats.

Okay, I am going to admit, I am going to start with more questions then answers. The first question is how many pure domestic cats do you? What are the age(s) (in months and or years please) of the domestic cats? Are your domestics purely indoor cats? Or are they indoor/outdoor cats? While, I have only had one indoor domestic (by her own choosing) the rest went in and out at will. Hybrids, of any kind are door darters. They are not scared of a spray bottle (most like or at least tolerate water) or the "shake can" with pennies like most domestics are. You need to be CONSTANTLY mindful, of doors and windows. It literally only takes about ten seconds for them to be out the door! A Bengal MIGHT return as they have the least exotic blood in them generally. But, are likely to be killed by cars (my F3 Savannah would CHASE CARS!) or picked up by another person. Or, if, acquired by most pounds (the local animal shelter) they are killed. This cat is very very lucky to be alive really and truly.

Next, your hybrid is MUCH: SMARTER, STRONGER (physically) and STUBBORN/WILLFUL then a Felis silvestris catus. So, you need to understand that your hybrid is going to rule the roost IF (that can be a major if) he/she chooses. You NEED to accept that this cat when healthy may NEVER like your domestics. My F3 Savannah and F1 Bengal LOVED all the domestics they grew up (the F1 Bengal and F3 Savannah did not live in my home at the same time or they would have bonded to each other and not the domestics.) but the Savannah would have been way too rough in play, with any domestic he did not grow up with. While, any domestic he grew up with he would instantly submit to. This is NOT uncommon for exotics and hybrids. The imprinting is done when the pure exotic or hybrid kitten or cat comes into your home. Additional Felis silvestris catus, need to be added prior to the hybrid or you need to understand that the "new/next" domestic may never ever be allowed with your hybrid. But, at bare minimum, even the best hybrid, will NEVER COMPLETELY submit to your new Felis silvestris catus.

My F1 Bengal loved everyone and everything.But, if a domestic cat got aggressive with her. I am pretty sure, she would have killed it. But, the domestics I had at the time where very non-confrontational.

I can assure you, your domestics will be safe. Since they where there before the Savannah. What I am telling you is, there is a VERY strong possibilty that you might not be able to add another pure domestic. She loved to lick on them just like Coco does.

However, IMHO, a major bonus is you can add all the hybrids (Bengal, Chausie/JC hybrids, Safari and Savannahs) you want. Hybrids, excluding F1's (they are more like pure exotics) are always excepting of there "own kind".

Lastly and most importantly, you need to be willing and understanding that EVERYTHING interaction wise (people, cats, and intimate objects) are on the hybrid cats term. You can NOT make the cat do ANYTHING or make it "ACT" like a normal Felis silvestris catus. Most hybrids are very food and toy oriented. So, training them is more along the lines of the "postie reinforcement" training used on Canis lupus familiaris.

After the two week "quarantine period" (this is very important so your hybrid bonds with you, since, it is far more natural for them to bond with another cat or medium/large dog, plus, so they get used to using the litter box and you get a feel for his "normal healthy self") you can start scent mingling. This needs to be done at the hybrid cats paise and your "feeling safe" level. Lastly, it is when the domestic is comfortable (I have learned this over the years, most domestics, unless they grow up with a hybrid tend to "feel threatened" by them. Meaning, they will hiss and spit at them. Most well socialized hybrids, simple ignore the domestic all together or spend years, literately years, trying to befriend them).

So, once your hybrid cat is no longer hissing, spitting, or growling at the scent of the Felis silvestris catus and you feel comfortable it is time to introduce the cats. Please, I beg of you, keep this in mind, if the Felis silvestris catus runs, the hybrid MIGHT give chase like a Canis lupus familiaris. That is just how it goes. Number two, an excited hybrid MIGHT make some VERY STRANGE (at least till the new owner gets used to it
) noises. Again, please do not be alarmed.

So is a SBT a fifth generation cat, which would mean less wild blood right? 

Yes indeed
. An F1 has the most exotic cat blood (since, one parent is a pure exotic and one is a domestic. The male is almost always the pure exotic and the female is a domestic) and is 50% exotic and 50% "domestic". An F2 uses a domestic male and  exotic female (normally an F1). The reason the exotic is the female, is that until F5/SBT in most cases, the male are sterile. But, will still spray/mark unless castrated. A F2 is normally 25% exotic and 75% "domestic". Hopefully, you get the idea. If not, I will gladly try and reprase. Since, my ability to communicate via typing is poor
and the subject matter is "clear as mud"

Wow, Savannah in him also, that's a lot of hybrid haha.

I am not sure, if this particular cat, it is Leptailurus serval  hybrid or Felis chaus hybrid. A photo of the face/eyes and a photo of the torso/height at shoulder will help me a lot. Plus, a picture of his undercoat would help. Just so you know, it is impossible for me to know, what. if any other exotic cat blood is in him. I can only give you my best guess.

Is it normal of people to breed Savannah's with Bengal's?

That is a very very loaded question. I would say ask maewaew . They will give you a clearer answer and are much more familiar with SBT level cats and the "rules" governing them. I will say, it is not accepted, as "normal" anymore, by most breeders. But, it can be, depending on the breeders individual program and when they acquired the breeding stock they have. But more importantly, after F2, any Bengal blood makes the Savannah look like a long, lean, and tall Bengal. A Felis chaus bred to a Bengal (making a F1 JC hybrid or Chausie) will look like a GIANT BENGAL pelt wise! Just way too tall and lean to have Bengals frame
. All this means, is the Bengal genetics/genes make almost everything but the bone structure look Bengal to the average person. When using a Savannah and or a Chausie with a Bengal.

Yes I'll try to go up to the animal shelter and take a picture, either tomorrow or the next day depending on how I'm feeling (just had surgery) but I'll call to see how his cough is, hopefully it's getting better.

I am very very sorry that you had to have surgery. I hope you feel better soon. Now, please do not take this cat home until you feel "normal (physically)". Since, like maewaew and myself pointed out, the energy level is more then the average domestic and can be "sky high" or like a border collie with extreme vertical prowess (my F3 Savannah was sweet but way crazy hyperactive
).

I would like to know more about the behavioral differences, I only know what I have read on the internet, but I have not read up on Savannah-Bengal mixes.

You will not find anything or almost anything on Savannah-Bengal mixes. But, what I have seen and read about SBT do not match. A Bengal is still very very very active. They may not be hyperactive like Savannah, Safari and Chausies/JC can be, but they are nothing like an average domestic. They are far more active. Another difference is they they are prone to pica. Pica, is the eating of nonfood items. While, a sick domestic might have pica, a normal healthy (physically and mentally) hybrid will have pica in varying degree's. The more exotic cat blood, the more they MIGHT BE prone to pica. But, that isn't always the case. If you search Brandy-Neka her F5 had/has "bad" of pica issues, just like my F3 did. While, my F1 Bengal had NONE! So, it depends on the cat, just as much as, the generation in some cases.  The third difference is, hybrids, Bengals included, can make some very strange aggressive sounding noises. You need to "learn your cat". In general, as long as, the ears are not pined back, the cat is being friendly. The last difference, is that hybrids can "fluff up" there tail and back hairs (making them look like they have a mow hawk) when excited. Plus, make some more very strange noises while doing it. As long as, the cat is not hiding and his ears are forward, that just means he is "happy to see you and or excited by external stimuli".

Thanks, for your help :)

You are very very welcome. I hope I have not bored you to death
. If, you need any clarification do not hesitate to ask.  I also have some housing, feeding, and basic "how to keep your sanity tips", if you are interested

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm just following for information purposes.  That, was an amazingly good and detailed explanation Cat Person.  Thank you!

gdaly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well good news and bad news. Good news is that the owner picked up their cat. Bad news is that I do not have a cat :(

I am a little disappointed in the animal shelter in not informing me that the owner picked the cat up. 

Thanks everyone for all your help! I am going to look more into rescuing or adopting a Bengal cat.

Especially Cat Person, by the way Cat Person the owner told the pound that it is a Savannah cat.           

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gdaly,  I'm glad the cat at least has an owner who cared about  him and  I hope from now on they will be able to keep him securely in his own home , and hope he is well taken care of and happy. 

But as you said,  you don't have a cat.   

There are definitely Bengals in rescue who need homes and I hope you will be able to find a wonderful cat to adopt.   There are private rescue groups where the cats are kept in foster homes and they get to know a lot about them.  so that might be a good route to try. 

for example here is one based in California  http://www.cabrn.bengalrescuenetwork.org/index.html

here is one in Midwest.   http://www.greatlakesbengalrescue.com/

These groups would very likely know of others in the US at least .  

Cat Person,   I  knew you would have some very valuable contribution to this thread!   Thank you for all that great info  .   hopefully gdaly will be able to put it to use in future when she finds her Bengal.  and it's there for other people who are considering one of these cats. 

I'm not an owner  or rescuer or breeder of hybrids  ,  just  enjoy seeing them and find them interesting.   Glad to find out  I have a good eye since i thought from the start this cat had some features that looked pretty Savannah like.  I told CatPerson  that the more I looked at those pictures the more I thought of Savannah.   I am pretty sure it is a Savannah with some Bengal ancestry.     

Re whether it is normal to cross Bengals and Savannahs,  technically  Bengal and Savannah are classified as non-permissible outcrosses for each other.   So they're not really supposed to but there are some breeders who still do it.   They can't show them until  they have cats with 3 generations of ancestors without a non permissible outcross,  or without another species.   But of course there are many who are breeding just for pets.      Bengals and Savannahs are both very popular in the U.S.    They are far less rare now than many of the purely domestic breeds. 

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gdaly,  I'm glad the cat at least has an owner who cared about  him

Me too

and  I hope from now on they will be able to keep him securely in his own home,

Trust me, that is quite a challenge. That is why I had a double door entry system for my whole home
. Meaning, even the "mainly human occupied" areas too

and hope he is well taken care of and happy. 

Most Savannahs, even the lower generation cats, still retain the Leptailurus serval "mind set". Meaning, they bond very very strongly with the original owners. While, well socialized foundation Bengals (excluding F1's) Chausie/JC Hybrids, and Safari can bond fairly well, with new people/owners.

But as you said,  you don't have a cat.   

There are definitely Bengals in rescue who need homes and I hope you will be able to find a wonderful cat to adopt.   There are private rescue groups where the cats are kept in foster homes and they get to know a lot about them.  so that might be a good route to try. 

for example here is one based in California  http://www.cabrn.bengalrescuenetwork.org/index.html

here is one in Midwest.   http://www.greatlakesbengalrescue.com/

I also have some websites and phone numbers (I will PM those) for gdaly or anyone else that is interested

These groups would very likely know of others in the US at least .

Yes, that is very very true. I did forget that part

Cat Person,   I  knew you would have some very valuable contribution to this thread!

Well, thank you, very very very much
. You did a GREAT job yourself
!

Thank you for all that great info  .

You are very very welcome
. Again, you did a GREAT JOB yourself
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hopefully gdaly will be able to put it to use in future when she finds her Bengal.

Yes, I really really hope so

and it's there for other people who are considering one of these cats. 

Very very true
. I just hope they can find it

I'm not an owner  or rescuer or breeder of hybrids  ,  just  enjoy seeing them and find them interesting.

Might I suggest, you consider owning one? F3-F5, still give you plenty of "exotic cat character" (I am sure what you know what I mean by that
) for you to enjoy

Glad to find out  I have a good eye since i thought from the start this cat had some features that looked pretty Savannah like.

Your eye is well and truly AMAZING! Especially when you consider, that you have not had much direct contact with the foundation cats.

I told CatPerson  that the more I looked at those pictures the more I thought of Savannah.

Yes, you did. I am VERY SORRY for not including that in the previous post

I am pretty sure it is a Savannah with some Bengal ancestry.     

Indeed
. My educated guess would be F4 or F5/SBT Savannah with the stud as SBT Bengal. Or, possibly, a SBT Bengal as a "great grandparent" (not sure, if that is proper "cat speak").

Re whether it is normal to cross Bengals and Savannahs,  technically  Bengal and Savannah are classified as non-permissible outcrosses for each other.   So they're not really supposed to but there are some breeders who still do it.   They can't show them until  they have cats with 3 generations of ancestors without a non permissible outcross,  or without another species.   But of course there are many who are breeding just for pets.

Thank you, for that clarification. That part still confuses my very very small brain
. I still say, T.I.C.A. "will paper a lion", if you do it right. Not that I can
!

Bengals and Savannahs are both very popular in the U.S.    They are far less rare now than many of the purely domestic breeds. 

Indeed and I am starting to not know, if that is a good or bad thing
. Your
, if you please
?
Well good news and bad news. Good news is that the owner picked up their cat. Bad news is that I do not have a cat :(

Well, between maewkae and myself, I am sure we can get you a rescue SBT Bengal. Also, if, you want to spend around $700 you can get a Bengal kitten that will be "healthy" and have papers. The only reason that I am saying this is: 1) Starting with a hybrid kitten is much easier for a first time owner. Though, a well socialized SBT Bengal is very easy to rehome. But, a un-socialzed or under socialized Bengal is truly a nightmare. Since, the Prionailurus bengalensis is naturally a VERY shy and reclusive cat. So, even at the SBT level the cat can be "VERY SHY".

I am a little disappointed in the animal shelter in not informing me that the owner picked the cat up.

I sure do not blame you. I would be down right livid actually
, if I was you!

I am going to look more into rescuing or adopting a Bengal cat.

Yay
, I can give you plenty of resources via posting and PM's.

Especially Cat Person, by the way Cat Person the owner told the pound that it is a Savannah cat.  

I am guessing F4-F5/SBT Savannah with a SBT Bengal as the sire or the "grandparent".         
I'm just following for information purposes.

I am so so so so glad, that other people find the hybrids interesting
. I see a Bengal or some other SBT/F5 hybrid in your future

That, was an amazingly good and detailed explanation Cat Person.

Glad you liked it. I can PM you tons of other ones, if you want

Thank you!

You are very very very welcome. I figured, I bored most people to death with these posts! What is sad, IMHO, is I could write even more