Is Is True That Acana And Orijen Are Being Sued?

andreiamlm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I was currently looking for online information where to get a new online seller that ships to Portugal I've just found this website:

Lawsuit filed against Champion Pet Food – Acana and Orijen

I'm really in shock , I used to give my cats Royal Canin dry food for sterilised and started to buy Ocana as so many reviews online and the ingredients seemed so good.

Looking eagerly for advise

Thank you

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That article was from last year..someone did try to get a lawsuit against them but it was dismissed because it was all false. I have been feeding Orijen for many years to my dog and cats and have never had any problems. They both love it and they are very healthy on it .

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good eye, Catlover579, I looked right at the date and didn't go past the month, being it's March. :doh: eesh

In any case, I've been giving my boy Orijen treats for quite some time with no issues :)

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That article was from last year..someone did try to get a lawsuit against them but it was dismissed because it was all false........
Ah..........no........it was not dismissed.

First off, that lawsuit concerned Acana and Orijen dog foods.

Secondly, part of the lawsuit was dismissed, but the core of the lawsuit stands:

"The thrust of Defendants’ motion is to bristle at Plaintiff’s allegations and call them slander. Defendants’ displeasure at her accusations is no basis for dismissing them, however. Although certain of Plaintiff’s claims are properly dismissed, her primary theory survives. This matter must be resolved by reference to evidence, not pleadings."

Basically, the Judge has ruled “evidence” must be provided by Champion Pet Food regarding all of their marketing claims. This will be an interesting lawsuit to follow.
LINK: Judge rules Champion Lawsuit will continue

Thirdly.....that same lawsuit was amended in November 2018......with the claim that these dog foods also contained pentobarbital:
“It was recently revealed on information and belief that Defendants were knowingly, recklessly and/or negligently selling certain of the Contaminated Dog Foods from the DogStar Kitchens containing pentobarbital, a substance largely used to euthanize animals.”

“DogStar Kitchens” mentioned in the lawsuit is the newer Champion plant located in Auburn, Kentucky.
LINK: Champion Pet Food Lawsuit Amended – ‘risk of inclusion of Pentobarbital’

To that suit, Champion provided a statement (that I find confusing and concerning) admitting that one of its suppliers delivered beef fat containing pentobarbital: Update on Class Action Lawsuit

Another amendment was added to the suit in February 2019:
A significant issue added to the amended complaint, filed in Illinois on 2/6/2019, states Champion Pet Food misrepresented its products by (bold added) “failing to fully disclose the presence and/or risk of inclusion in their pet food of …non-regional and non-fresh ingredients, and/or unnatural or other ingredients that do not conform to the labels, packaging, advertising, and statements throughout the United States.”
LINK: Champion lawsuit amended: “non-regional and non-fresh ingredients”

Finally.....while that lawsuit concerned dog foods.....another case was launched in June 2018 - this one naming cat foods:
Filed in Illinois on June 22, 2018 – is another class action lawsuit against Champion Pet Food “for their negligent, reckless, and/or intentional practice of misrepresenting and failing to fully disclose the presence of heavy metals and toxins in their pet food sold throughout the United States.” This particular lawsuit is specific to Orijen and Acana Cat Food. The foundation of this Champion Cat Food lawsuit is similar to the previous dog food lawsuit, the pet food company is accused of selling cat food that “contain levels of arsenic, mercury, lead, cadmium, and/or bisphenol A (“BPA”) — all known to pose health risks to humans and animals, including cats.”
LINK: Another Champion Pet Food Lawsuit, Now it is Cat Food

The cat foods suit includes the results of laboratory testing for the levels of arsenic, bisphenol A (BPA), cadmium, mercury and lead found in the products.
Excerpts from the lawsuit:
- Arsenic is deadly to cats in doses of just one to twelve milligrams per pound of body weight.
- The Contaminated Cat Foods contain arsenic, which can affect the gastrointestinal and cardiovascular systems, as well as lead to circulatory collapse.
- Additionally, the Contaminated Cat Foods contain mercury, which can cause damage to the kidneys and to the cardiovascular, nervous, and neurological systems in cats.
(link as above)

I used Orijen with my cats for a couple of years until I moved to an all-wet foods regimen, all the time recognizing that Champion's advertising was way over-the-top. In particular, the "Biologically Appropriate" tidbit always caused me to chuckle. It was with some satisfaction that I read that the trademark for that claim was cancelled......as the result of another lawsuit! (here).

[The author of TRUTH about pet food.com, Susan Thixton, has been diligent about reporting on issues with pet foods since the massive North American food poisonings of 2007, that 12th anniversary just having passed. Her newsletter is one industry monitor that many people use to stay abreast of emerging issues and subscriptions are available here: Check it out here]

Last edited by a moderator: