Is Her Hissing Bullying?

catwithmycoffee

Six Cats Crazy Cat Parents
Young Cat
Purraise
My Husband and I are at somewhat of a disagreement on whether or not one cat hissing at another is bullying.

The reason:  two weeks ago, we brought home a couple of cats that had been abandoned by their previous owner
. There names are Lizzie and Sam; around 7 years old, spayed/neutered, front declawed.  Sam appears to be a Maine Coon (or part Maine Coon), and Lizzie is a domestic short hair.  We are still learning the ins and outs of their personalities, and overall they seem to be nice cats.  Sam is pretty laid back, not much seems to faze him.  Lizzie is a bit on the cautious side, but likes to be petted. 

Of course, we already had a cat, who's name is Bazinga.  She's 2 1/2 years old, and has been with us (and our only cat) for the last two years.  Hadn't been around any other felines since we brought her home from the shelter.  So we took the precautions with introductions: Sam and Lizzie are in our spare bedroom with food, litter boxes, toys, a window with a view and regular visits from both humans residing in the house.  At their own pace, the cats "discovered" one another through the gap beneath the bedroom door.  Of course, Bazinga hissed at them nearly everytime she saw one or both beneath the door. 

We have slowly initiated supervised face to face meetings.  So far, no fights, nothing drastic.  Only when either Sam or Lizzie physically get within a couple of feet of Bazinga will she hiss at them.  Neither one of them seem interested in picking a fight with Bazinga.  There is no fighting over or domination of food dishes and litter boxes.  No one attempting to corner and/or attack one another.  None of the usual signs of a cat being a bully.

I think Bazinga hissing is her way of telling Sam and Lizzie "don't invade my personal space!".  Husband disagrees with me; he thinks that her hissing at them is bullying.  And when he does hear Bazinga hissing at one or both of them, he whips out the water bottle to reprimand her - which I happen to disagree with!

Husband doesn't like the hissing because he feels it upsets Lizzie.  The reason being is that the abandonment was very traumatic for Lizzie; not so much for Sam, though.  He doesn't want her upset! 

{their previous owner dumped them off in the dead of a cold night in front of a local vet clinic.  It was at least two weeks before anyone could safely handle Sam, and Lizzie refused to let anyone touch her until the day Husband made the effort to 'connect' with her.}

I've done numerous internet searches regarding this, with unsatisfactory results.  Something to make Husband realize that this type of hissing is expected as the cats are still getting used to one another.  And that perhaps his intervention with the water bottle isn't helping?

Bazinga, by the way, is slowly become used to Sam and Lizzie's presence.  Just this afternoon all three of them were lounging/napping under supervision in the living room for nearly 3 hours.

Any suggestions/ideas/advice on Husband and mine's disagreement are welcome, Thanks in advance!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissing is an aggressive move, but it's usually defensive aggression, a warning sign like a rattlesnake's rattle. Bazinga isn't too sure about the newcomers, and she's telling them in no uncertain terms that if they get any closer, they'll get a paw in the face.

Look at her body posture, too. A defensive cat will be leaning slightly back, crouched, ears back, muscles tense, standing sort of sideways so that it can either run or fight as the occasion demands--somewhere between scared and aggressive. It's the posture that says "If you push it, if you corner me, I will fight." Most cats, hearing the hiss, know to back off either then or after a smack with a paw.

A friendly cat will usually come in nose first, stretched forward, whiskers spread, possibly tail up in greeting or held in a relaxed posture. Ears will be pointed forward--the cat will look alert and curious. If they're approaching her that way, they probably aren't too scared of her, other than the usual nervousness all cats get when they are meeting new cats.

I don't think she's bullying them. She's unsure, and feels like she may have to defend herself against them. They're the ones approaching her--probably in curiosity or even desire to be friends--but she isn't having any of it. She needs time. She may never cuddle with them, but she's eventually going to accept their presence and co-exist. It's her home territory, but she's also outnumbered.

I'd recommend that you and your husband, instead of using spray bottles or something else unpleasant, distract the cats when one or the other of them is becoming too defensive. Talk to them, call them over, throw a toy, that kind of thing. Make sure they all have good experiences together with each other, and it should be okay. Don't make the distractions too nice, though, or they might stage fights just to get whatever you're throwing at them. :)

Kudos to you for rescuing those two kitties, by the way. It sounds like they're quite happy with you.

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Callista, and if I may add one more piece of advice:  look at the totality of the interaction, BODY LANGUAGE of the cats involved.  Hissing by itself isn't too bad; growls, hissing, ears back fur up, that's not good.  Try to get them to play together as long as the way the cats play is similar.

I'm going through something similar with Ritz (female, resident cat, only child since litter, adopted three years ago) and Twiddldee (male, abandoned/dumped cat, lived on streets as part of a cat colony I take care of for 9+ months until I decided to foster her).  Ritz is around 3 years old, Twiddledee (male), around 2.5 years old; Ritz is bigger than Tdee.  I've never fostered a cat before, and Ritz is my first pet ever.

Tdee is a very submissive, calm, affectionate cat; Ritz is skittish, not overly affectionate but loves cuddles, is a lap cat and loves her belly rubbed.  Introductions have gone amazingly well, but for Ritz hissing when Tdee gets too close.  Unless of course it it Ritz who approached Tdee, usually to sniff Tdee's nose.  I've seen Tdee brush against Ritz, in a friendly manner, not aggressive and Ritz seems okay with that.  They are both sleeping with me (twin size bed).

But I sense Ritz is still leary, uncertain/unsure of Tdee.  She is easily stressed--has had two incidences of stress-induced UTIs a year ago.  Unfortunately although Ritz and Tdee like the same type of game (DaMouse, slide feather under plastic bag/sheet), Tdee REALLY likes to play energetically; his antics scare Ritz.

Good luck and keep us posted. 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissing is just a form of communication. It means "keep your distance" but it really sounds like things are going very well. Bless you both for rescuing these cats.

My Jennie was rescued from a stray life. I don't know how long she was on her own but she managed to raise a family of four all by herself, before she found me. She's been here over five years, but she still hisses (and swears in stronger terms) at the other cats. It doens't mean anything and no one pays any attention, it's just her way.

Lizzie may feel intimidated by the hissing, but...since she is a cat, she understands what is being said. My advice is to let them work it out. Oh, wait you wanted a way to help your husband understand that this is normal, and that they need to work it out for themselves. Maybe this thread will do it.

You can get some feliway plug in diffusers, that will help everyone feel less stressed and may reduce any territorial issues, but honestly, it sounds like it is going very well. Your resident girl just needs time to adjust to not being an only, and of course the other two need to recover from their trauma.

Make sure you have enough litter boxes and plenty of elevated space for all three cats.

Spraying her with water when she has this perfectly normal reaction is absolutely the wrong way to handle it. Poor kitty! She's simply expressing herself, and getting 'punished' for it. It won't make her stop hissing, but it may turn her more aggressive. :(

Welcome to TCS!

Last edited:

ibiscribe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely check the body language... I've even known a few cats that hissed when they obviously "didn't mean it", eg. I knew a ragdoll who would hiss and spit to cheekily "sass" a human when playing with them (but very obviously liked playing, liked the person, and didn't want to stop), so it isn't always even defensive or a warning. Context and mannerisms really are everything sometimes!

I definitely agree that the spraying needs to stop... unless she's charging them, hissing and batting, it probably is just nervousness. In other words, like mentioned above... she's doing it because she feels uncomfortable and vulnerable. Being sprayed with water is not going to make her feel less uncomfortable or less vulnerable! I'd also be afraid of her possibly connecting nearness to the other cat(s) with being sprayed with water. "Every time you come near me I get spritzed! Stay away, hiss hiss!"

Callista is definitely right about using redirection; distractions, even just something simple like a paper ball tossed across the floor may help break up tension, without compounding the issue with even more fear and discomfort.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hissing is just a form of communication. It means "keep your distance"
This is absolutely correct.  We have four cats and have gone through introductions three times.  Hissing is absolutely normal and just a way of saying "Don't get too close.  I'm not comfortable with that."  Could it be distressing to the cat who is hissed at?  Possibly, but mine just receive the message and go their way.  The hissing cat should never be punished in my opinion.  They are just saying what they are comfortable with...and should be allowed to do so. 

I've witnessed bullying and it has never involved hissing on the part of the one who is bullying.  (The one who is bullied might hiss.)  A cat who is being a bully (though I don't really like that term) will usually pin their ears back and go towards the bullied cat, ignoring their protests.....or use intimidating body language to get them to move from a favorite resting spot.

In my opinion, we need to be very respectful of the cats' ways of communicating with each other and only intervene when it seems like someone could get hurt or someone is absolutely not listening to the "Leave me alone" message they are getting from another cat. 

By the way, in our three introduction processes, the hissing has eventually died down each time.  Sometimes it takes up to a month (or longer for some people.)  And, in our most recent introduction, we noticed that one cat in particular was hissing at the new cat because she was ill.  After certain health issues were addressed his hisses almost completely disappeared.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am reminded of a cat I rescued Petey from the streets, Petey was so friendly I swore s/he was in heat and took her in to get immediately s/n (I TNR on a regular basis).  She was a he.

Friend fostered Petey, I helped.

Loved loved loved humans, but one of the biggest bullys ever.  He tore after Mystique, another cat my friend was fostering, and a true feral cat.  As in I'M GOING TO KILL YOU (and meant it).  Totally unprovoked, except that I was paying attention to Mystique.  No advance warning, just charged at the cat.  It wasn't a friendly charge, it was all out running to get Mystique.

From then on, he could not be kept in the same room as any other cat.

Again, he was a total love bug with other humans.  And was successfully adopted into a Furever Home with the strict warning:  does NOT get along with other cats.

Hissing is normal in this context, maybe even a growl or two.

Agree:  normal behavior should never be punished

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwithmycoffee

Young Cat
Purraise
More than enough elevated spots, litter boxes and food dishes to go around.  When Sam and LIzzie are in the same room as Bazinga, she watches one or the other.  Whomever happens to be the closest to her.  There is no reaction until they get about 2 feet away, then her ears go back and she hisses.  There is no stalking, no attempts to pounce.

All three cats are healthy.  Lizzie and Sam both had a thorough examination and fecal/bloodwork done before coming home.  They have settled in quite well, are eating fine.  I even took Sam in for a professional grooming this week.  He's a Maine Coon; his coat needed some work, and I wasn't having much luck with getting him to hold still long enough for a thorough brushing.  The groomer did an awesome job :-)

Getting back to the water bottle issue: when I'm home, I make it a point to now place myself between Bazinga and Husband's general location when she starts hissing, and saying "I've got this!".  I've told him the hissing is a normal part of the adjusting phase on Bazinga's part, but that doesn't make him like it.  Honestly, I don't like it either.  But so as long as there's no actual fighting, then I'll take it.  Have noticed that in the last couple of days she isn't hissing as much.  Earlier she walked by Sam within paw distance and it didn't even phase her (she was distracted by the food dish in my hand).

Thanks to everyone who has responded. :-)

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats never get out of the hissing habit. I think I may have already mentioned this but my Jennie hisses at the other cats all the time. They pay no attention to it, it's just her way.

Sounds like things are going really well and I commend you for sticking up against the spray bottle. Time is what cats need. Time, patience, distraction...and of course all the love. :)

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OFF TOPIC - Do I detect another Big Bang Theory fan?  Bazinga is an unusual name.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwithmycoffee

Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats never get out of the hissing habit. I think I may have already mentioned this but my Jennie hisses at the other cats all the time. They pay no attention to it, it's just her way.
Sounds like things are going really well and I commend you for sticking up against the spray bottle. Time is what cats need. Time, patience, distraction...and of course all the love.
Her hissing seems to have become less frequent in the last day or so.  We let Sam and Lizzie out of their room for nearly 5 hours this afternoon.  Other than one mild spat between Lizzie and Bazinga (invasion of personal space), things went well. 

Husband has cut back on the use of the spray bottle, too.  I didn't outright ask or tell him to, but I think he finally listened to what I was telling him about it. 

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll add my thoughts.

Evie, our resident Queen Grumpy, :lol3: still hisses at little Baggy when he gets near her while she's eating. It's not bullying, just her way of saying "I starved a long time outside, so stay away from my food, cause I'm defensive about it!" He doesn't mind it, and backs off and goes about his merry way.

Otherwise they are just two peas in a pod, they snuggle and groom each other and play 24/7. So, occasional hissing may still happen, but it isn't bullying. Just a form of communication. :)

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Based on my real-time experience only as in it it happened last night/this morning, the introduction process/progress can regress.  When I got home from work last night Rtiz' cat condo was overturned and a minature vase knocked over.  I said "someone had fun" today.  And some thing later happened in "Twiddledee's" bedroom and I heard then saw Tdee running after Ritz, and Ritz squeezed in between the refrigerator and wall. I don't know if Tdee was playing or mad.  Ritz is priority, the resident cat.  So I put Tdee in the back room (didn't say anything at all, just put him in the back room because I didn't know who did what to whom and I can pick up Tdee, can't pick up Ritz).  Tdee wanted out around midnight so I let him out, and on the bed (both Ritz and Tdee sleep with me) Tdee got too close to Ritz and/or Ritz was Just Not In the Mood.  Hiss and maybe a growl, and  I had to put Tdee back into his bedroom.

Tdee is a submissive cat, super sweet, affectionate.  Ritz skittish and a loner by nature.   I feel bad for both of them.  Both are getting doses of Rescue Remedy.

Should a regression occur, watch them carefully when they are together.  And maybe a time out and put them in separate rooms if possible:  even married couples want/need time alone.