Is He Playing Too Rough?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

s0mthinG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And this is one of the ways we know that it is just rough play...their ears and whiskers are in a forward position. If this was real aggression, BOTH of their ears would be tight back against their heads, and those oh-so-sensitive whiskers would be flattened to their cheeks.
Her ears do go back a bit when they are playing but don't stay flat to her head and the second she has time to breathe they come back up.

This is really good information I didn't know in the past. The only time I've had other cats at the same time I had gotten them both from the same litter so they didn't have to get used to each other and didn't have issues witg boundaries.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just going back for a moment isn't anything to be concerned about.

THIS is what you don't want to see...

Ears flat to head, whiskers back, eyes dilated. ANY of those might happen for a moment during rough play, but when you see ALL of them, and they don't ease off almost right away, you have an issue. OH...I must add, just as that cat is ready to attack, the whiskers may sweep forward again, because cats can't see well at all up close, and they hone in on prey by touch.

s0mthinG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! Thanks for keeping up with my small struggle. I think some serious progress has been made. For the past 2 days I haven't had my bedroom door (the door to her home base) almost at all. He's gotten on her nerves enough to warrant being separated a few times but not every contact they have needs to be broken up at the end. Ive also found them like this a few times.
20181007_191055.jpg 20181006_175058.jpg 20181007_190704.jpg 20181007_191013.jpg 20181007_190631.jpg
This is a huge improvement for them. I've only had her since September 27th, and they met for the first time the following Monday (4 days later).

Elizabethriki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I’m having a similar issue.

Here’s my posting:
Kitten Introduction: Are They Fighting, Establishing Dominance, Or Playing?

Did you keep them separate for most of the day or did you only separate them if things got too rough? Mine have been attacking each other 95% of the tome they are face to face so I’ve been nervous to let them continue. Specially because she was spayed 10 days ago and has had a seroma (luckily it’s getting smaller) and I don’t want him to hurt the area. (Although the ASPCA told me to continue the introductions.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You've got this now! There will probably still be the occasional spat. Even cats who dote on each other and have lived together for years can have those. But the hard part is over!

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those snuggle pictures are adorable! <3 I think they're well on their way to becoming buddies, and it'll only get better as they start getting more comparable in size. Your video reminds me exactly of my bully cat Finn who plays rough (the beige one in my picture — he was definitely separated from his siblings early because he has awful manners) and I was so worried when I first put them together and he just kept tackling and bunny-kicking the kitten! This site had amazing advice, namely that it was all play but Finn just thought that biting hard and tackling was so much fun, and he'd never been taught how to control his bite. Anya used to squeal and go running and all of my catsitters would text me in a panic LOL. Honestly, there's not a ton you can do to make Coco play nicer. If you call his name or distract him, he's just going to do it when you're not around. Hazel will help teach him boundaries during play and there's less of a concern as she grows bigger. Nowadays my kitten is bigger than my older cat and she stands up for herself when the play is too rough.

As long as Hazel is gaining confidence, initiating play, and being willing to share space with Coco then I think everything is going well!

s0mthinG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I’m having a similar issue.

Here’s my posting:
Kitten Introduction: Are They Fighting, Establishing Dominance, Or Playing?

Did you keep them separate for most of the day or did you only separate them if things got too rough? Mine have been attacking each other 95% of the tome they are face to face so I’ve been nervous to let them continue. Specially because she was spayed 10 days ago and has had a seroma (luckily it’s getting smaller) and I don’t want him to hurt the area. (Although the ASPCA told me to continue the introductions.
Hey sorry for the super late reply here! I made tons of progress with my kittens and they are actually out and about during the day and I don't have to separate them. It really is just a case of them getting used to each other and the more aggressive one learning the cues from the other that the play is done.