Is He Okay?

mcfarjul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why is my male cat who's around 9-11 puking so much? Why is he following me everywhere, even waiting outside the bathroom door for me?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
He is following you around because he is interested in you and what you are doing, hates closed doors like all cats do, and finds your company enjoyable.

Regarding the puking, you should get him to a vet but in the meantime, have you tried feeding him a different food? Are you feeding him canned food? Try a different brand but introduce it to his diet slowly, a little bit at a time.

Is his water filtered?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you mean suddenly puking and suddenly following you around, hapening at the same time, that certainly sounds like either a routine illness or a more serious vet issue. If these have been long term behaviors, well some cats are pukers, and some cats follow their owners around. Common causes for pukers are hairballs (hairball control food, brushing and better cleanup can help), eating too fast (more frequent meals can help), eating things they should not like plastic (obviously try your best to eliminate access) and maybe other things I'm forgetting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcfarjul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
He is following you around because he is interested in you and what you are doing, hates closed doors like all cats do, and finds your company enjoyable.

Regarding the puking, you should get him to a vet but in the meantime, have you tried feeding him a different food? Are you feeding him canned food? Try a different brand but introduce it to his diet slowly, a little bit at a time.

Is his water filtered?
To answer your questions here's some answers, and thanks for your response!
- My cats water ethier is from the up stairs bathroom sink that they like to go to, Bo, (my cat) and Lui (my sister's cat) like to hop on the counter and drink from a cup of water. Then the main dish bowl, the water comes from either the kitchen sink or the fridge.
- They eat dry pebbles of cat food, don't know the brand off the top of my head, and they occasionally get treats, but not too often.
- We have changed their foods but rarely.
- There is medicine in their food to help them stay calm or something?
- Never fed any of our cats canned for.
- And I do feed the milk sometimes when I get cereal, but I've stopped mainly because I don't feel like eating cereal. And I think that might be a reason why sometimes both of the cats follow me and meow in the kitchen at me, for milk since they know I will get it out for my cereal.

mcfarjul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you mean suddenly puking and suddenly following you around, hapening at the same time, that certainly sounds like either a routine illness or a more serious vet issue. If these have been long term behaviors, well some cats are pukers, and some cats follow their owners around. Common causes for pukers are hairballs (hairball control food, brushing and better cleanup can help), eating too fast (more frequent meals can help), eating things they should not like plastic (obviously try your best to eliminate access) and maybe other things I'm forgetting.
My cat Bo does lick the grocery bags from Walmart, and the outside of our drinks, but I hate it since his breath stinks and it kinda weird. And I do notice that he's been going to the food bowl more often. AND the puking has been going on for months, my parents just say it's fine but I don't think so! AND and the puke is either chucks or very liquid.

mcfarjul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A ArtNJ beat me to it. But if the vomiting and clinginess is new behaviour, or if this is normal for him, but it's causing you concern, then a vet checkup or consultation, would probably be a good idea.
My sister had a cat called Rudy, but he died a while ago... He and Bo were brothers, born in the same lite around 2012 I think. And the behavior I'd say would be around a couple of months now?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats a good article, suggest looking it over, but I'd personally take the following with a grain of salt:

"Your cat vomits more than once a week, call your vet."

I think if that was really true, probably half the cats in the world would have a vomit visit where the vet examined them and said "well, this is something that cats do, blah blah blah hairballs, eating too fast, eating stuff they shouldn't" -- just like the article says.

I'd be much more worried if there were also other changes in the cat. For example, you mentioned bad breath. If your pretty sure that is a change, maybe worth a visit. If the cat is losing weight or seems to have less energy, def worth a visit. If the poop is different, def worth a visit. You get the idea.

Given everything you've observed, I think your right that a vet visit is probably a good idea. If the cat doesn't go for wellness/vaccine visits, and money is an issue (understandable) maybe google the nearby vets and see if any of them have a coupon for a first visit. Some vets around here do that from time to time.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It would really be good to have some bloodwork done for your cat. This can be hyperthyroid. It could be other reasons too. My cat's hyperthyroid looked like frequent hairballs and regurgitation, so unfortunately it was advanced before we caught it.

If you lost another cat recently, your cat could be more clingy because of that. But hyperthyroidism also causes cats to be clingy.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats a good article, suggest looking it over, but I'd personally take the following with a grain of salt:

I think if that was really true, probably half the cats in the world would have a vomit visit where the vet examined them and said "well, this is something that cats do, blah blah blah hairballs, eating too fast, eating stuff they shouldn't" -- just like the article says.

I'd be much more worried if there were also other changes in the cat. For example, you mentioned bad breath. If your pretty sure that is a change, maybe worth a visit. If the cat is losing weight or seems to have less energy, def worth a visit. If the poop is different, def worth a visit. You get the idea.

Given everything you've observed, I think your right that a vet visit is probably a good idea. If the cat doesn't go for wellness/vaccine visits, and money is an issue (understandable) maybe google the nearby vets and see if any of them have a coupon for a first visit. Some vets around here do that from time to time.
I thought my cat’s frequent vomiting was just who he was. Sensitive stomach food helped. Turned out my cat had a poultry allergy that got rather severe over the years. So if it continues, & is not fixed by hairball medicine or obvious things .... I would err on the side of caution and do one vet visit.

mcfarjul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Money I wouldn't say is an issue for me, I have parents }:) lol, but to be serious he doesn't go for a vaccine etc. And he is around 10 and has been loosing muscle mass? And my family says it's normal... I keep asking to take him to the vet but they won't let meh.

mcfarjul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would try the sensitive stomach dry food, NO milk products. Most cats get lactose intolerent as they age, causes bad puking. Temporarily stop all meds if possible. Calming med? I myself would change the food , it sounds food related to me.
Okay thanks that helped! I'm definitely gonna stop giving them milk stuff because they don't need it etc. And is there something wrong with the calming stuff mixed in with the food?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad money for vet care isn't a big deal, and even more so if your parents agree (lol!) If money isn't an issue, then you are 100% correct, he should go. Well, unless the diet modification works, although even then its a good idea for an older cat losing muscle mass to go!

I'm sympathetic to your parents general view. I have the funds for wellness visits, but it just seems like the vets around here, exclusively animal hospitals (no local vet types) are always pushing something and I find it kind of sickening. But when something might be going on, if you have the cash, then you go in my, and I guess also your, opinion!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Money I wouldn't say is an issue for me, I have parents }:) lol, but to be serious he doesn't go for a vaccine etc. And he is around 10 and has been loosing muscle mass? And my family says it's normal... I keep asking to take him to the vet but they won't let meh.
Loosing muscle mass along with the vomiting, is another sign of hyperthyroid. It really would be a good idea to have blood work done, and the medication for this isn't expensive. You can save money by getting the script sent to a human pharmacy.

It's very common in cats 10 and over. Better to be caught earlier, as it can cause heart issues if left unchecked. The VCA states that the cat can become agressive, but other sites (and my own experience) say that change to clingyness is really normal too.

Hyperthyroidism in Cats.

What is Feline Hyperthyroidism?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally would also try canned versus dry food, introduced slowly. Try to stay away from too much fish…healthier brands often have fewer ingredients. Healthier meats can often be -but not limited to- quail, venison, boar & rabbit.

mcfarjul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally would also try canned versus dry food, introduced slowly. Try to stay away from too much fish…healthier brands often have fewer ingredients. Healthier meats can often be -but not limited to- quail, venison, boar & rabbit.
My mom says canned food is bad for cats, yet my grandma uses canned food and a vet says she's fine... So who is right here, mom vs a vet?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
Canned food has a lot less of the filler and empty carbohydrate load than kibble does, as well as having more moisture, which is a lot better for cats who don't typically have a strong motivation to drink water since their systems are built to get their moisture from the food they eat.