Is he Maine Coon?

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to think Smokey (my cat that lives with my mom) is Maine Coon, but now I'm not so sure. I've seen pictures on here and I don't know if he is or not. I thought so just because of his size, he weighs between 20 and 25 pounds if not more.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marinewife05

I used to think Smokey (my cat that lives with my mom) is Maine Coon, but now I'm not so sure. I've seen pictures on here and I don't know if he is or not. I thought so just because of his size, he weighs between 20 and 25 pounds if not more.
Hum.... I think he is just chubby... and BIG!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He does appear a bit chubby but no I also see no main coon just a big cat.. lovely coloring though

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, no MCO.

If you really want to see a breed in him, so do see some Chartreux in him. Yes, even quite a lot of Chartreux if you want.

Besides, Chartreux is beautifully blue precisely like yours.
Males of Chartreux can be quite big (or rather, muscular and big). I presume some of them can even get chubby, muscular and big.

Good luck!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love how he is all blue, but has a brown nose... Very unique... Very pretty boy

How old is he?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

I love how he is all blue, but has a brown nose... Very unique... Very pretty boy

How old is he?
Let's see...we got him for my daughter when she was in kindergarten and she just 13...so I guess he's about 8 or 9 years old depending on his age when we got him. (can't remember that far back)

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

How old is he?
That's because he's a blue tabby.
(To me the nose looks pink?) Ticked tabby would be my guess (the forehead gives it away).

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

(To me the nose looks pink?) Ticked tabby would be my guess (the forehead gives it away).
Agree on both points

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue ticked/mackerel tabby domestic longhair (since his tail is fluffy).

No MC, and no Chartreux either (not even close). Blue tabbies have a mauve color nose - solid blues would have a blue nose - so he has to be a tabby.

He's a handsome boy, but I would seriously work on getting weight off him now - the older he gets the harder it will be and he can develop a lot of early medical problems due to being overweight. Also he will have a hard time keeping himself groomed.

kittysback

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful kitty!
I saw on Cats 101 that the way to tell if a cat is Maine Coon is if he has:
The "M" marking on his forehead
Very long whiskers (like 7 or 8 inches across)
Stumpy feet with tufts of fur between toes
Tail as long as the body

There are more features, I'm sure. Your cutie looks to have a few of the features, especially the feet, but I'm not sure if he has MC in him. But boy is he cute!!!

Funny, I always wondered if my Shadow had some Maine Coon in him. He's got the "M", the long whiskers and the chubby feet with tufts, and long tail but he's small! Only 9 or 10 pounds. (Sorry to hijack your thread!)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittysback

What a beautiful kitty!
It may be Coons have this M, but this M is very common among tabbys(?), practically all does have it if you look after it.

So this really only means Coons usually arent one-coloured.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know i could really shoot Cats 101 for even saying that - its been a headache EVER since they did that.

The "M" markings are part of a tabby pattern - not any breed. ALL tabbies (except the ticked tabby) will and should have the "M" markings on the head.

Maine Coons come in every color except the pointed pattern and the chocolate/lilac color spectrum. There are many solid, bicolor, calico/tortie, shaded Maine Coons. The most popular and common are the tabbies and they will have the normal M markings.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another clue if the cat is solid or tabby. A blue tabby will have the mauve/pink nose color - a blue will have dark blue nose color.

scatt cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's just a really, really fat mixed breed kitty! He's quite handsome. I would recommend putting him on a serious diet though. Fat cats can develop early arthritis, diabetes and other serious conditions, especially as they age. My cat used to weigh close t0 16 lbs. until I found out how unhealthy he was. The vet confirmed that he had heart problems, and I cold turkeyed him. After a couple months of bing fed 2 small meals a day, he went down to 8 lbs! Today, I still feed all of my cats two small meals a day, and they are all fit and healthy. I think free feeding is the major culprit for fat cats. Most cats will overeat if given the chance. Your cat may protest and act frantic when he's not getting as much food as he wants, but that's because he's addicted and uses food as a comfort. You must be firm and consistant though, and if you are, he will soon be content with a reasonably sized breakfast and dinner. This is not always the case, but usually, a good weight for a domestic mixed breed cat is between 6-10 lbs. You shoudl adjust your cat's portions according to what you think he needs to maintain a proper weight.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittysback

What a beautiful kitty!
Very long whiskers (like 7 or 8 inches across)
Stumpy feet with tufts of fur between toes
Tail as long as the body
Persians can have all of these features and so can DLH and NFO for that matter. I don't know what this program was spinning when they said all this.
I guess I breed MCO's not Persians (in term's of the tabby M)

ETA look at my exotic girl in my siggy with her tabby M

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Scatt Cat

He's just a really, really fat mixed breed kitty! He's quite handsome. I would recommend putting him on a serious diet though. Fat cats can develop early arthritis, diabetes and other serious conditions, especially as they age. My cat used to weigh close t0 16 lbs. until I found out how unhealthy he was. The vet confirmed that he had heart problems, and I cold turkeyed him. After a couple months of bing fed 2 small meals a day, he went down to 8 lbs! Today, I still feed all of my cats two small meals a day, and they are all fit and healthy. I think free feeding is the major culprit for fat cats. Most cats will overeat if given the chance. Your cat may protest and act frantic when he's not getting as much food as he wants, but that's because he's addicted and uses food as a comfort. You must be firm and consistant though, and if you are, he will soon be content with a reasonably sized breakfast and dinner. This is not always the case, but usually, a good weight for a domestic mixed breed cat is between 6-10 lbs. You shoudl adjust your cat's portions according to what you think he needs to maintain a proper weight.
Sorry to hijack the thread here, but...

I hope you did that under a vet's advice/managment and took the weight off really, really slooooowly... because fat cats (or any cat for that matter) if they suddenly get less than a certain percentage of their "normal" food intake in a day can quickly develop Hepatic Lipidosis or Fatty Liver Disease and that can be FATAL. Never EVER put a cat on a crash diet.Or starve a cat. Fat cats are more susceptible to the disease. Ask your vet. I know someone who just lost a cat to this.

Read member Grogs' threads/posts on getting his cat, Tiny, down to a healthy weight.

A good weight depends on the cat's frame, too... and breed. Maine Coons for instance are BIG cats with BIG frames. Friends of ours have a male who weighs 18-20 lbs and he is NOT FAT in the LEAST.

I don't disagree about free feeding and overeating, though. It can definitely lead to problems. Best for a cat though, is several smaller meals, which mimics how they eat in the wild. This is according to MY vet.