Is having a single cat okay

emmilyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now I am living with my parents so my kitten Boone has the company of two other cats - one adult and one kitten his age. BUT within the next month I will be moving out and into my own apartment in another city for school and Boone will be coming with me.

I am already feeling guilty about keeping him as a single cat, I have always had pets in pairs.. But unfortunately I can't think of a way to make getting another kitten work. As a student who will barely be able to afford her apartment, paying to feed another cat (never mind vet bills) will be next to impossible..

I have entertained the idea of fostering for a local shelter who will pay for food for the foster cat, but am unsure if bringing new cats in and out of the house regularly would have a negative effect on Boone. (And that's even if my landlord will agree to it)

Thoughts?

heathernichelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do not think that you should feel bad about only having one cat. My kitty has lived both with and without other felines, and I believe he prefers to be by himself. He has never really enjoyed any of the other kitties that we have had, and usually ended up ignoring them completely. Anyway,  I think that as long as you provide him with a wide variety of toys so that he doesn't get bored, he will probably be fine.

However, I will say that I am in no way an expert and so if I am giving really bad advice I hope that my fellow TCS peers correct me.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
It depends on the cat.  My first cat was an 'only child'.  I had her for almost 18 years and she was fine--not only fine, but when I tried to bring in strays a couple of times. she let me know in no uncertain terms that she did NOT want to share her domain with any other cat.

If you make sure to spend time with him, and as @HeatherNichelle  says, you have toys and provide a good environment for him, he'll be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emmilyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies!

He definitely gets a ton of attention, he's my little shadow and is constantly following me around the house! He is definitely a spoiled baby.

He does have lots of toys but seems to ignore most of them. I'll have to make sure he has some good ones to keep him entertained while I'm
In school and he's alone. What do you suggest?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I always tell people about colored ping pong balls for kittens--when my cats were young, they used to spend tons of time entertaining themselves with those things!  The neon colored ones are good for YOU because you can see them easier and won't trip on them as easily.  

Here's a recent thread talking about toys for cats, maybe you can get some ideas here:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/286297/need-toy-ideas-for-cat-that-wants-human-play#post_3636348