Is Grass Litter Safe?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to try corn litter and then got scared when i heard that cats can become ill from the mould in litter.

is there any risks involved with grass litter?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
In my opinion it’s one of the “safest” out there.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My vet uses it (grass litter) for his cats. He advises against the corn-based litters because of the mold issues. I’ve been using grass clumping litter since last summer, that and clumping wood (Okocat). My cats use both with no problems.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet uses it (grass litter) for his cats. He advises against the corn-based litters because of the mold issues. I’ve been using grass clumping litter since last summer, that and clumping wood (Okocat). My cats use both with no problems.
I think I also remember reading on Dr. P.'s site that wheat and corn litters are actually bigger allergens and have more dust than clay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you for responding! i just bought some today. hopefully my cats will like it =)

I think I also remember reading on Dr. P.'s site that wheat and corn litters are actually bigger allergens and have more dust than clay.
0_0 thanks for the info. i had considered using those before i learned about the grass litter.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
thank you for responding! i just bought some today. hopefully my cats will like it =)
Mine didn’t like it right away. It’s very lightweight, and they tend to sink in it. And I tried to cheat and do it all at once. I have three boxes, and I dumped one and filled it with grass litter. No. They weren’t having any of it. Stepped in it once or twice, looked shocked, held up their feet, jumped out, and refused to try it again. What was I thinking? :)

So I backed up and did the changeover from veeery slowly, much more slowly than the 50/50 for one week the bag recommended. Now all three boxes have grass litter, and they have absolutely no problem with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine didn’t like it right away. It’s very lightweight, and they tend to sink in it. And I tried to cheat and do it all at once. I have three boxes, and I dumped one and filled it with grass litter. No. They weren’t having any of it. Stepped in it once or twice, looked shocked, held up their feet, jumped out, and refused to try it again. What was I thinking? :)

So I backed up and did the changeover from veeery slowly, much more slowly than the 50/50 for one week the bag recommended. Now all three boxes have grass litter, and they have absolutely no problem with it.
lol oh no i just put the litter in one box. i'll have to watch to see if they get upset.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used grass litter for several years now, love it. My cats did take a few weeks to get use to it, no problem now.
I also like Littermaid walnut litter that i get from walmart. I often mix a bag of each per litterbox. The walnut is a bit heavier and seems to keep down the tracking with the grass litter. But the grass clumps the best, so i mix and get the best of both worlds :)