Is Egg White Safe For Cats?

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello all,
Is it safe to sprinkle some cooked egg white on top of Tuna & Chicken wet food to encourage my kitty to eat her food that contains tuna?
:thanks:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fully cooked egg white is fine. You can also try crushed up treats.

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I give my cat a little bit of cooked egg white and raw yolk with every meal.
It's a very good low phosphorus protein that is also easily digested.
Tuna is not really a staple in our household, but we do use it as a treat food and they love it. They don't seem to like fresh fish, though... cats can be so weird.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She liked the egg white cooked but i couldn't trick her to eat it with the tuna. Lol

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to make sure, you do mean a tuna cat food right and not just plain canned tuna that humans eat right?

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just to make sure, you do mean a tuna cat food right and not just plain canned tuna that humans eat right?
Lol... yes, Tuna CAT FOOD NOT HUMAN :D
No human food for my kitty

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok just checking, and not that human food is bad either! Lots of people cook and or prepare their pet food themselves if you know what you are doing. I mean they are strict carnivores, and we eat meat, its all the same meat. I throw my cats a chuck of raw meat when I am making steak or chicken (before it is seasoned) or some egg or my one cat even loves a little milk when I have cereal. Just as long as they are eating their proper food as their main diet :)

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Something I used to use to tempt our cats when they had one of their not-so-favorite foods in front of them... a little sprinkle of parmesan cheese (real, grated, not the goofy powdery stuff).
Really?
Hmmm didn't know that one!!
I could try that too
Thanks

MaiMaiButterfly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Because of the level of mercury in tuna, it should be fed only as a treat and not a regular meal. Mercury levels build up quickly in cats because of their small size. My cat loved tuna cat food, but somewhere along the way I found this out, and had to stop giving it to her. Maybe it's a good thing your cat isn't a fan of tuna?

On the egg whites, if you are cooking them yourself versus buying powdered egg whites, cook them thoroughly until all the white is solid. Uncooked egg whites contain avidin which is a protein that binds to biotin making it unavailable.

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good to know!
Yes, I guess it is not such a bad thing that Skye doesn't like Tuna. The egg white... yes, I cooked it 100% before giving it to her but she still didn't eat the Tuna wet food ;).
If you don't mind me asking...
Today she hardly ate wet food ( she is very finicky about wet food) is it okay?
She eats her dry food and her activity level is normal... no changes at all other then just not eating all her wet food ( she just picked on it)
:thanks:

MaiMaiButterfly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is she? Is this a change in appetite, or just that she has grown up more used to dry food than wet food? Are you trying to transition her to wet food from dry food?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
It is "okay" that Skye only ate a little wet food if this does not become a habit and she gets enough calories every day. If Skye completelyl stops eating wet food you have a problem.

MaiMaiButterfly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think the general consensus is that wet food is better for your cat. I'm not a vet, but that's what I've read and have been told by my vets. But I think that they eat and get enough nutrition daily is paramount over what kind of food. Cats can be stubborn, and I remember trying to switch my cats from dry to wet. They would have rather not eaten than eat the wet food I put down, so dry food it was. I eventually had some luck with different brands of wet food.

With my senior CKD cat, we fed her whatever she would eat...even tuna. So bottom line, you can try to coax her to eat what you think she should eat, but ultimately the most important thing is that she eats.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old is she? Is this a change in appetite, or just that she has grown up more used to dry food than wet food? Are you trying to transition her to wet food from dry food?
She's 6 months. She's always been on wet and dry food butshe just today the 2 times I offered her wet food she just picked on it. She's active, sleeps normally, goes in her litter box normally too.
She changes her mind quite often on wet food so I have to give her something different every day but for some reason today didn't want much wet food

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is "okay" that Skye only ate a little wet food if this does not become a habit and she gets enough calories every day. If Skye completelyl stops eating wet food you have a problem.
Yes and that's what scares me that she would one day stop eating wet food even tho a few of veterinarian and vet tec have told me that only dry food is fine as long as she's drinking water or just to give her wet food once a day or even just some times as a treat... but I'm not comfortable with that idea, I rather her eating wet food every day

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Those vets obviously did not learn anything about the differences between kibbles and wet food in veterinary school. Unfortunately this is very common because the way they are taught feline nutrition is flawed.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll keep offering wet food to her every day (I won't stop). Her vet said to keep giving her wet food as much as she would like so that's what I'm doing. Some other vets say something else but I'm not a fan of that!!
I love this site! You guys really give good advice and make it so much easier to care for this fur barbies and I really THANK YOU AND THE SITE for that!!
:happycat::thanks:

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those vets obviously did not learn anything about the differences between kibbles and wet food in veterinary school. Unfortunately this is very common because the way they are taught feline nutrition is flawed.
Good morning,
Another morning of Skye eating little wet food .
I gave her a new flavor this morning (1/2 of 3 oz can of tiki cat ) she ate some of it.
Maybe I am doing something wrong? I give her wet in the morning, leave out some dry all day, wet in the evening and leave very little dry overnight, should I stop leaving some dry overnight?
Or the fact that she gets different flavor every day is wrong too?
A lot of pee during the day ( 4 to 6 times per day)
Poops once or twice a day.
I might be over reacting or over protective (sorry for that) but this is something in me... I've been ALWAYS like that when it comes to feeding children or animals. I have to make sure they are getting the right amount of nutrients ;)
Thank you for all your help and advice