Is DaBird addictive for cats?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Having read so many positive posts about DaBird since coming on this site I finally decided to treat Mouse and ordered one last week (with replacement bird bits as I've seen photos in other posts).   It was expensive but I figured with so many positive comments DaBird was worth at try.  Well, it arrived yesterday and after 10 minutes playing hide and seek around the flat pack cardboard wrapping with the boy I decided it was time to put DaBird together.  Before I'd even got the pieces assembled he was after it.

I haven't seen Mouse like this since he was a little kitten, he was hilarious.  He'd leap, pounce, head roll, skid, and run himself ragged until he was laying on the floor panting for breath, then minutes later he'd be back up running again.  After half and hour I wrapped it up in the original bag and hid it under the sofa. For a few minutes I had a very chilled, happy cat laying stretched out on the floor, but then he was digging away trying to get DaBird out of its hiding place. He could not be distracted with anything.  I gave in and let him have another half hour session, and then last night he had another session before bed. I'm sure he was exhausted but went wild for it again.  I've even had to clear the floor in the sitting room because a fully grown cat throwing himself round at high speed is pretty hazardous!

Today it is was straight back to digging under the sofa trying to get at DaBird as soon as Mouse was back in the sitting room. No playing with other toys.  He was instantly perked up and waiting as I got DaBird out, and chased until he dropped yet again.  Half an hour of short bursts seems to be my 2 1/2 year old's limit.  It is certainly going to help reduce the little belly he's been developing of late!  

I am very happy that my boy is so enthusiastic about his new toy, and looks so happy and relaxed after his DaBird sessions. However,  I am wondering how everyone copes with this constant craving that cats seem to have once they have got the taste for DaBird?  And does it fade with time? When will I be able to rotate it with something else?  Is there some secret kitty-crack substance painted on the feathers that cats can't do without?  I now have a pile of other toys that he seems to have forgotten about.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish my kitty liked the $8 I spent on Da Bird. Like you, I thought there's a decent chance my cat will like it. I take it out and he'd bat it for a minute or two, and then lose interest. I usually had to "rile" him up by prodding him with it, but it's clear that he isn't really taken by it.

A snake-string on the other hand, he'll play with for the entire play session (usually about 30 minutes before he decides he's had enough). 

You could keep the bird away for a bit (a week?) and try to engage him with other toys. As much as my cat likes the snake string, I'm afraid he'll get bored, so I usually give him that to play with for up to 3 consecutive days, then I switch out something else.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I think we need a DaBird anonymous thread here.. one of mine goes crazy for it too! That and the Cat Dancer.

I have to hide it in the closet where they can't see it. Sometimes I'd have to put the cat in another room, then hide DaBird!

This thread reminds me.. I need to replace the whole thing.. the string's all frayed and about to break with one more play! lol.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think we need a DaBird anonymous thread here.. one of mine goes crazy for it too! That and the Cat Dancer.

I have to hide it in the closet where they can't see it. Sometimes I'd have to put the cat in another room, then hide DaBird!

This thread reminds me.. I need to replace the whole thing.. the string's all frayed and about to break with one more play! lol.
I also need to replace mine.  I also have had to hide it- my place is on top of the refrigerator.  I have to put it there when they are not looking though or else they go crazy trying to climb the fridge.

One of mine in particular LOVES it.

Honestly, you just have to set limits that work for you. I play with my cats with it either until they get tired or (more often) until I do.  They usually do want more, but I don't believe a stressed unhappy owner is the way to an unhappy cat, so they just have to accept that when I am done, I am done and they will get to play with it again soon.  I do make sure they have other (rotating) toys available at all times and they of course also play fight with one another, so I don't feel too guilty about limiting their time.  They lived with life before da bird, and they can live with just one da bird session per day too 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If we do, then we also need a Laser Pointer Chasers Anonymous, too. Sugar knows the sound of the pointer and will come running if I even bump it. It is on a keychain.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If we do, then we also need a Laser Pointer Chasers Anonymous, too. Sugar knows the sound of the pointer and will come running if I even bump it. It is on a keychain.
My cats are addicted to both.  They don't discriminate.  My chubby cat is less interested in actually trying to chase  the laser pointer though- he is happy to watch it go back and forth for literally 15 to 20 minutes at a time before giving one big dramatic pounce, sure that this will be the time he finally gets it.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Blah. Jed is super playful, is an ankle-mugger, and gets all marble-eyed when I bring out the snake toy, and yet he has ZERO interest in laser pointers. Every time I shine it near him, he'll track it with his eyes and then look at me and go, "Why? I can't ever catch it anyway, what's the point?"

What a jerk. :p

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I fear I may be doomed.
 Mouse usually leaps up at the sound of the laser key chain too,  he goes through phases of killing a fleece snake wand toy, and spends a fair amount of time attacking his Catit ball circuit and killing a large catnip rat among other things, but now.....   he will look longingly at DaBird, or where I have stashed DaBird, or attempt to squeeze under the sofa where Da Bird has been stored when not in use, and of course when I give in he will chase after DaBird.   

It is good to see him look so happy, and zonk out completely exhausted rather than bored but gee, what hard work.  I need something I don't have to keep moving!  

I did order another toy at the same time but that's not arrived yet so hopefully he will be just as keen on that and I can rotate every few days without too many painful withdrawal symptoms.   It's another chase toy but it's battery operated (can't remember the name of it).

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes one for all of them!  
  My Mother shakes the laser pointer to call her cats in when they are outside!   Mine react the same!

I have to keep Da Bird up in a closet.  Noodles goes so nuts for it Mooch rarely gets a chance with it!  Last Sunday I came home and found our Cat Dancer in the kitchen.  I thought that was weird because I didn't remember seeing it in the food cabinet.  Then I went into the foyer and noticed I'd left out the box of extra toys and they'd knocked it over to open it!  I also have extra toys in the coat closet I keep Da Bird in.  They try to raid that every chance they get!