Is Cat Conspiring Against My Vacation?

MJO12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do cats read minds? Do they scheme solely for their own needs? I have been hesitant about taking a vacation, as the two alley cats I adopted are afraid of everyone but me. The other two cats are ok -- one I share with his owners, and the other I share with my cat-loving neighbors. But I worry about leaving my PTSD alley cats with my family. Two weeks ago I decided to take a six day trip. That was on a Monday. On Tuesday, my oldest alley cat did something unusual. He sat on my lap for 20 minutes, staring into my eyes and purring. Of course, I talked to him and brushed him -- at first. Then I began to worry. How can I leave his cat to go on a trip?. He is afraid of everyone but me. He will stay outside because I am not here instead of coming into the house -- in the cold and rain (it is August). What if there is a hurricane or a bad storm? I could come back and find my precious cat dead. So I decided to put off the trip. The cat has not sat on my lap again since that night. Is it possible or am I seeing plots where there aren't any. He's a cat, for Pete's sake!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well cats do take on our emotions. You were probably busy worrying about the trip, what to pack, how the cats will be, etc. So your worry could have been picked up by your feral. I see it all the time. I think he was trying to comfort you as he sensed you were stressed about leaving them. Cats are more caring than I think many people realize. Then when you stopped worrying and felt and acted like you always do he wasn't as worried. I think he wanted to be there for you as much as you wanted to be there for him. Pretty special bond!!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL No they don't conspire .... though one of my cats gets stressed when I start packing my suitcase. I agree with Calicosrpecial, cats sense our emotions. I would suggest introducing a helper slowly during feeding time with your ally cats. That way in a couple of months (and defiantly by Christmas) they will be OK being fed by your helper if you ever need to travel or get sick,

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M MJO12 - there's really no need to go anywhere; having cats is almost exactly the same as being on vacation - the only difference is that except for the white sand, you have kitty litter; rather than the spray of the waves, you have cats sneezing in your face, and instead of the aroma of fresh Tilapia grilled on an open fire, you have Fancy Feast.

There... now don't you just feel silly for wasting all that travel planning time?