Is broccoli bad for cats to eat?

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have searched the internet the answer is NO. Broccoli is not bad for cats to eat.

BUT!  I dont trust the answer.

The number one reason sites said broccoli is not harmful is because broccoli is not on any list of bad plants/foods for Cats.   That is NOT reassuring. Perhaps it just has not been added.

My former shelter cat seems to want to nibble on it.

Last edited:

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I have searched the internet the answer is NO. Broccoli is not bad for cats to eat.

BUT!  I dont trust the answer.

The number one reason sites said broccoli is not harmful is because broccoli is not on any list of bad plants/foods for Cats.   That is NOT reassuring. Perhaps it just has not been added.

My former shelter cat seems to want to nibble on it.
Well, broccoli is a common enough food that I would think if there was serious harm from it, someone would know by now. All the results I'm getting are saying it's non-toxic to cats. Lots of veggies are non-toxic to cats, actually. I generally don't worry if a naughty kitty gets to my dinner plate unless there was garlic on it.

Eating veggies is not beneficial to cats as a part of their diet, because they're obligate carnivores. Cats can't really break down things like that, especially if the vegetable is raw. They may simply throw it back up, like cat grass.

That's not caused by some sort of sensitivity, per se. It's just the automatic reaction of some cat's stomachs to things their bodies can't break down.

In other words, I wouldn't be concerned if you cat steals a sprig of your broccoli. It's sort of like a human trying to eat hay. It's not gonna hurt you, but it's not gonna do anything for you either.

Last edited: