Is Big, Black Spot Around Her Nose An Infection?

Zsuzsanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has this big black area on the bridge of her nose, I'm worried if it's infection?
IMG-20180922-WA0005.jpg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Orange cats frequently develop dark freckles on their nose, lips, even in their mouths as they age. It's called lentigo and is a perfectly normal condition due to genetics :agree: Kind of like how fair skinned people develop freckles across their face as they get older. You can show the picture to the vet if you're worried but most likely he / she will tell you that it's nothing to worry about.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Z Zsuzsanna - That doesn't look like any lentigo or freckles I've seen before - how long has that darkened area been there on the nose? Have you had time to check with your vet since making your first post here?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zsuzsanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, it looks more serious. I got an appointment with the vet so she is going there today. The black area seems to be growing and I thuth there might be a cut under her nose, but it's difficult to see. She eats and sleeps well but imI happy that a vet is going to check her out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zsuzsanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. The vet didn't know what it is, the black crust came off and it's raw flash now. She got two injections and antiflammatory medicine. She will be back to the vet tomorrow for a check up. It can be allergy, fungus, virus, bacteria....anything basically. Or autoimmune disorder.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Zsuzsanna.

Your account of the Vet visit disturbs me. How would you describe the age of this Vet....an older person, a middle-aged person or a younger person?

Did anyone else look at her?

This "black crust".....was it sent to a laboratory for examination/testing?

How did it come off?

Exactly what were the "injections" she was given? ....the names should be on your bill/receipt.

Exactly what is the name of the "antiflammatory medicine"......do you have this at home?

When you go back, without raising suspicion, try to find out how long this Vet has been practicing.....you know, something like 'So....how long have you been doing this...?' "Chat them up" a little.

And, one more thing.....it's never a good idea to make really important decisions in a hurry and without giving ourselves time to carefully think things out and talk the issue through with someone else, someone who isn't really 'caught up' in the situation....someone who can give us a balanced opinion. Sometimes it's also advisable to get another medical opinion for some things.

Where, very generally, are you located?

OK - do post when you're back!