Is anyone’s cat stressed out during this lockdown due to Coronavirus?

Lemonsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

We’re new here, have read a few posts and decided to join. Lemon is a year old, she’s a total sweetheart. We’ve all been home since Friday due to working from home and online learning. Lemons behavior is normal, except for vomiting twice in the past two days and soft stools. Her appetite is normal. I was wondering if anyone else’s cat seems stressed since being home?
21A73D57-4CFA-4F13-A1FF-1132972ABDD1.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!! We're so glad you're here ❤

She looks like a sweetheart!

I've read a few members commenting that their cats are having adjustment issues, what with the changes in everything and in everyone's schedules.

Try to be as relaxed as you can, she may be picking up on your emotions. Yoga, meditation, chamomile tea, whatever works for you :)

For her, try cat music, playing with her, possibly calming products might help, and if she doesn't improve, give your vet a call.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lemonsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for replying! Yes, we’ve been so worried these past few days. I’ll work on my stress and emotions being all over the place at least for her sake. I’ll definitely try those methods and keep an eye on her, see how it goes. Thank you again and for the warm welcome :wave3:

Steph42q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

We’re new here, have read a few posts and decided to join. Lemon is a year old, she’s a total sweetheart. We’ve all been home since Friday due to working from home and online learning. Lemons behavior is normal, except for vomiting twice in the past two days and soft stools. Her appetite is normal. I was wondering if anyone else’s cat seems stressed since being home?View attachment 327725
Kiernan is a mercurial cat to begin with, and it's been in overdrive the past few weeks. She's been constantly going back and forth between being playful and goofy to hissy and growly. Part of it is that my kitten EJ is 10 months old, so their dynamic is changing as he's entering adulthood. But I know she can sense my stress and that is also playing a huge part in it. I've been focusing on calming myself down and having several play sessions a day with her, which seems to help. EJ is completely unbothered by all of this and keeps looking for creative new ways to be in the middle of everything.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is loving this personally, but it's common for change, even a "good" change, to cause stress in cats. Establishing and sticking to a consistent routine could help. (They say that will help our mental health too, although I'm personally terrible at it.)

Also, a probiotic helps manage gastrointestinal symptoms. I use L. acidophilus for my cat, although her issues are not anxiety-related, but my parents also use it for their anxious dogs and it really helps their diarrhea.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Olive and Gohan are acting normally, but my fiancé works from home normally so their routine is pretty normal. Olive has been extra agitated because of the onset of spring - she tends to howl at windows begging to get out which is driving us a little crazy. We are playing with her more and that seems to help a little.

Unfortunately we can’t open the windows for this reason and that’s making the humans a little extra stir crazy ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lemonsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is loving this personally, but it's common for change, even a "good" change, to cause stress in cats. Establishing and sticking to a consistent routine could help. (They say that will help our mental health too, although I'm personally terrible at it.)

Also, a probiotic helps manage gastrointestinal symptoms. I use L. acidophilus for my cat, although her issues are not anxiety-related, but my parents also use it for their anxious dogs and it really helps their diarrhea.
I have heard about probiotics but wasn’t sure what was good for cats, I’m going to look into that!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard about probiotics but wasn’t sure what was good for cats, I’m going to look into that!
Yep! Personally I use PB8 Nutrition Now, because it's relatively cheap but still works well. You can open and sprinkle half a capsule on their food twice a day (or more---hard to overdose). My cat also loves the gelatin capsule so she gets that as a treat. I do keep mine refrigerated because it lasts longer that way.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We're retired, so our routine hasn't changed much, but I think social distancing/the contact ban has confused Mowgli. We get a regular delivery of frozen food every few weeks, and Mowgli has bonded with the young woman who makes it. He was upset this week because she didn't come in and make a fuss over him. He sat in the kitchen window and whined as she drove off. He can see our main street from the living room window and back balcony and loves to people watch, especially during rush hours. There's been so little vehicular and foot traffic the past two weeks that he's spending less and less time looking for it. In normal times we watch very little TV, generally just 2 news broadcasts. With all the Covid-19 news, the TV has been on about an hour longer every day, and the first few days he looked at us like, "Why aren't you turning the TV off now like you usually do?". TV time = cuddle on the sofa with mom time, so he doesn't mind, but he was obviously aware of the change.