Is anyone looking at Mars at night?

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bumping this back up top, since this is the week it is brightest and closest!

Mars is so bright, we've seen him a few times in the past week or so. Wish I had a telescope, I read on CNN this AM that if you have even an amateur scope, you can see the Martian polar ice cap this week.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had a "Mars" party last Saturday night and got a lot of our city friends to come out to the country to view it without the light pollution. Folks brought 2 telescopes for viewing and we all had fun. Of course most of our friends spent more time playing with Muddy, Koko, Scarlett and Stumpy than viewing Mars, and who can blame them?

Someone did report that Mars will glow either yellowish or reddish depending on where the dust storms are on the planet. If it glows yellowish, the dust storms are in the atmosphere. If reddish, the dust storms on closer to the planet. We haven't confirmed this, but it made sense.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I walked outside last night, and it was the first thing I saw in the sky. Spectacular!

In case you missed it, keep an eye on the History Channel this week for their latest documentary on th history of NASA's Mission Control, called "Failure is Not an Option". I watched it on Sunday night, and then tuned in for a live chat with former NASA Flight Director Gene Krantz. When they reran it last night, it was folllowed by a show on space shuttle Columbia and one on Mars.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mars was spectacular last night from my front doorstep! Mike found his old telescope and we sat outside, propping it on each other's shoulder (he couldn't find the stand) and took a good long look at this phenomena.