Is always hungry a symptom of sickness?

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there

my cat is always hungry. She always wants food. This has recently happened with the cold weather/season change. She wasn’t like this during the summer, so could have been a decent health development. Is always hungry a symptom of some other culprit besides hunger? She is 10 lbs and gets 200 calories a day. And she gets treats. She’ll literally have her dinner meal (5pm) and dinner snack (6pm) and by 7pm she’ll beat clanging her food bowl licking it dry (when it was already dry). Is wanting to eat a symptom of boredom and I’m misinterpreting?

thoughts? Should I try to go to the vet? Run some test?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
It could be. My cat started acting hungry all the time and it turned out she's hyperthyroid. How old is your kitty?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s 3.5; 6 months ago she had somewhat high creatinine results (I think it was that, chronic kidney disease one) but then the 2nd test it was normal level so vet said check back in 6 months (which would be now…)

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be - I had a 10 year old cat who was hungry all the time and it ended up being intestinal lymphoma. She also had other symptoms - vomiting, losing weight, so your cat probably doesn't have that if she doesn't have those symptoms . However, if it is enough to seem odd to you or a change from her normal behavior, it might be worth a visit. Maybe also try a few extra play sessions to check out the boredom theory