Is Alnutrin (for bone-in-meat grind) suitable for a cat with digestive issues, hairballs, inflammati

catforce6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm about to start transitioning my 6 cats to a raw diet after years of eating canned Fancy Feast (Chicken Pate & Chunky Chicken), as well as a bit of dry Purina Beyond for a snack/treat. I know the dry food is bad, and I know the canned isn't much better, so I've been looking forward to getting them transitioned to a species appropriate raw diet. I've been doing research for almost a year, and have read info from many sources, including Dr. Lisa Pierson's website (catinfo.org), which is the recipe I ultimately decided to try. BUT, instead of buying all the nutrients separately, I decided to buy Alnutrin for Bone in Meat Grinds from Hare Today, which is also where I purchased my Ground Rabbit with Bone/Organs. I also bought chicken thighs from Whole Foods, which I will de-bone, and then grind to add to the rabbit (so I can dilute the 15% bone content of the rabbit, as Dr. Pierson suggests. I plan to add Iceland Pure Sardine Anchovy Oil too. 

I have everything ready, and was planning to make my first batch tomorrow so I could start the transition (which I planned to complete over 3 - 4 weeks). After that, all canned and dry food will be done. I've already begun reducing their dry food intake, but 2 of my cats were addicted to it when I found them, and it was a challenge to get them to eat anything else. I did succeed in transitioning them to canned, but never completely removed the dry food. I feel confident about the transition to raw for 5 of my 6 cats, but I do worry about my 8 year old calico, Callie.

Callie's been with my family for almost 4 years now, and prior to that she was neglected and abused. She only weighed 5 pounds when I met her, but she quickly went to the extreme opposite and became a a bit overweight. But even before she was overweight, I noticed that she had digestive issues. She would suffer from hairballs often, and she would have digestive problems that caused symptoms of abdominal pain, followed by retching/vomiting (but not always a hairball, and sometimes just liquid), I took her to her vet, and we found out she had a lot of inflammation. She was also diagnosed with arthritis. The vet gave her a round of stem-cell treatment in 2014 (shots directly into her joints, and also an IV course throughout her body), and the results were amazing. Her digestive issues were reduced significantly, and she went from suffering from her "stomach episodes" 3 times a week, to about once every 3 months. (She started running and jumping again too - her joint cartilage was literally rejuvenating.) When the "episodes" started increasing in frequency about 14 months later, the vet gave her another round of stem-cells in Oct. 2015 (He harvested enough the first time so that we have have extra in cryogenic storage; general anesthesia was only used the first time). The digestive issues improved even better with the second round, and she has been doing great.  But, even now, eating certain things always induce an "episode". She can't take the daily supplement the other 5 cats were taking (Vetri Science Multi-Supplement with New Zealand Green Muscle - now discontinued, and unavailable), and she can't have the Lysine Chews either. It's gotten to the point were I'm scared to try anything new with her in fear that it will cause her to suffer pain. 

Now, on the eve of starting the transition to a raw diet - which my vet and I both think could be a great option for Callie (and all the cats), I read something that said Alnutrin may not be good for cats with Callie's problems. I'm panicking. I don't know if I should proceed with the raw diet w/Alnutrin, or wait and purchase the nutrients separately. Is it the egg ingredient in the Alnutrin that would be the problem? I just don;t know and I would really appreciate some advice. My cats are everything to me. I don't think the other 5 will have any significant issues because they don't have the problems Callie suffers from, but I have to make sure my Callie is ok. I'm willing to make a recipe adjustment for Callie's meals if I have to, but I want to start the transitioning with all of them at the same time.

I was going to make the recipe tomorrow (Fri 8/5), and start the transition process at dinner, but I am going to wait to see if I get some helpful advice before I make it. I've been so excited about switching my cats to a healthy raw diet, and now I'm worried that I might hurt my Callie. I know the canned food (which took forever to get her to enjoy) and the dry food isn't healthy for her. And even though she has been doing well for now, she's getting older.  I want her to live as long as possible, and I know a raw diet can help avoid common health problems seen in cats on a terrible diet. 

Any info about my question would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and consideration,

P.S. I included 2 photos of my special Callie

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard there was any reason to not use Alnutrin with an IBD cat. Someone says egg is a problem?? What is believed to be the problem with egg and IBD??? I would think Alnutrin would be one of the better supplement mixes to use for a cat with any problem because it is one of the "cleaner" ones. Meaning it contains the nutrients needed for the food to meet AAFCO recommendations., Nothing more, nothing less.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catforce6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've never heard there was any reason to not use Alnutrin with an IBD cat. Someone says egg is a problem?? What is believed to be the problem with egg and IBD??? I would think Alnutrin would be one of the better supplement mixes to use for a cat with any problem because it is one of the "cleaner" ones. Meaning it contains the nutrients needed for the food to meet AAFCO recommendations., Nothing more, nothing less.
Thanks for your reply. I did actually read that egg could cause an IBD cat to become symptomatic, but the source was simply a comment on a different forum, so I wanted to get some more opinions. I'm not sure if it's the egg itself that can supposedly be problematic, or if it's the egg yolk powder ingredient in Alnutrin for Bone-in-Meat. I just don't want to cause my sensitive cat to suffer, so when I read that comment about egg, I became worried. Thank you for letting me know that you haven't heard of Alnutrin or egg causing problems with IBD cats. If it was a problem, I could buy the nutrients separately and leave the egg out entirely, but I would like to be able to use the Alnutrin I already have.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of that either CatForce6 - of eggs inducing symptoms in an IBD cat, particularly egg yolk as used in raw diets.

"Dried egg product", however, as utilized in some canned foods, is an ingredient of questionable origin but I wouldn't worry about the egg yolk powder in Alnutrin or other premixes for homemade raw or homemade cooked unless your Callie is known to have an intolerance or sensitivity to eggs.

I personally have to avoid eggs - at least chicken eggs, duck eggs might be an option, for my male cat who tested high positive for an egg allergy (scratched his neck raw with lesions, I was feeding Rad Cat and also using a premix that contained eggs for homemade raw).

I don't see any reason why you can't carry on with the new diet and use Alnutrin.

Congratulations on making the decision to transition your kitties to a more bioappropriate diet -- fortunate kitties, good luck. :)

Last edited:

catforce6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've never heard of that either CatForce6 - of eggs inducing symptoms in an IBD cat, particularly egg yolk as used in raw diets.

"Dried egg product", however, as utilized in some canned foods, is an ingredient of questionable origin but I wouldn't worry about the egg yolk powder in Alnutrin or other premixes for homemade raw or homemade cooked unless your Callie is known to have an intolerance or sensitivity to eggs.

I personally have to avoid eggs - at least chicken eggs, duck eggs might be an option, for my male cat who tested high positive for an egg allergy (scratched his neck raw with lesions, I was feeding Rad Cat and also using a premix that contained eggs for homemade raw).

I don't see any reason why you can't carry on with the new diet and use Alnutrin.

Congratulations on making the decision to transition your kitties to a more bioappropriate diet -- fortunate kitties, good luck. :)
Thank you so much for reaffirming what mschauer said in the first response to my question. I have researched this topic as much as I could today (while trying to accomplish a hundred other other things too), and I can't find any supporting evidence about the egg powder causing problems in cats that don't have a specific allergy, like yours does to chicken. With that lack of supporting evidence, and the replies I've received here, I've decided to go ahead and begin the transition with the Alnutrin. Callie does have sensitivities to many different foods, but chicken is actually one of the only things she handles really well. Hopefully that will translate to eggs being ok for her too.

I did delay starting the diet today, but I'm going to start it tomorrow. I'll post an update of how goes for Callie, and my other kitties too. I'm sure I'll think of more questions as I proceed with this new diet, so I'm really glad I found this site that is filled with knowledgeable cat lovers who are happy to share their personal experience and wisdom. Thank you!

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't find any supporting evidence about the egg powder causing problems in cats that don't have a specific allergy, like yours does to chicken. With that lack of supporting evidence, and the replies I've received here, I've decided to go ahead and begin the transition with the Alnutrin.
My cat is allergic to eggs, not to chicken - they are different proteins.

Good luck, I'm sure all will go well!

catforce6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for clarifying that, LisaMarie12. I was thinking chicken and eggs were similar somehow. I know you said that you can't feed chicken eggs to your cat, but duck eggs might be an option, and I guess I got confused. Now that you say that they are different proteins, I feel pretty stupid, because obviously you're correct. I have a lot to learn about raw feeding, and I'm preoccupied with worry because my cats are trying it for the first time today. If my intention to help them caused harm instead, I would never forgive myself. But I'm hoping and praying for good results, and your positive thoughts are definitely appreciated. Thank you

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are all learning, don't feel stupid, I've mostly done commercial raw with just a little homemade, made easy with a premix although the latter is on hold right now.

Just take a deep breath and go slowly, it will all be fine. Transition slowly as you would if you were introducing any type of new processed food. Maybe just start with half a teaspoon of raw today and gradually work up to it. 

No need to worry, premixes make getting the proper supplementation right, as long as you are measuring correctly. Assuming you have a digital scale or you know how many pound(s) of meat you are working with per scoop of Alnutrin.

There's no rush either, if any kitty happens to refuse the raw, just keep trying. Some cats take to raw immediately and others need a little time.  You'll be fine. :)

Last edited: