Is A Wax Melt Okay To Use Near Cats And, If So, What Brands Are Safe?

Christoki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I don't know if this is the right place to post, but I am just looking out for my babies.

A few years ago I got into wax melts as I love candles, but wanted something that matched my personal style and I wouldn't have to throw out once I'm done with it. So I been using a wax melt for a while now.

I got a cat last year and barely used it near him since there was nowhere safe to put it with him. Now that I've moved, I've been able to bust it out again. But I don't know if it's completely cat safe and what brands of melts are okay, as well as scents.

I am someone who exclusively uses bakery and fruit scents, like cinnamon buns or strawberries for example. Are those types of scents safe near cats and does brand matter?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
So my street cred is that I used to pour soy wax candles ;).
With that said, if you can find a manufacturer that uses non-toxic (**pure essential oils or vegetable based) fragrance oils, and non-gmo (ie; organic) soy wax or beeswax, you'll be golden.

How's your furbaby? can we have pictures? pleeze pleeze :cloud9:

**EDIT - nix, as in don't use, essential oils - cats' livers don't have the enzymes to metabolize toxins such as these.

Last edited:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know about all brands. I do know many essential oils are toxic to cats, and dogs by the way. I just don't, but thats my choice, better safe than sorry. I have a cat with mild asthma, and the first thing the vet had me do was get rid of any and all scented products in the home.

I think i would research any and all ingredients in the brands you look at, and how they specifically react with cats, before i used them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Christoki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
With that said, if you can find a manufacturer that uses non-toxic (**pure essential oils or vegetable based) fragrance oils, and non-gmo (ie; organic) soy wax or beeswax, you'll be golden.

**EDIT - nix, as in don't use, essential oils - cats' livers don't have the enzymes to metabolize toxins such as these.
20180619_191618.jpg
This is my new baby, Meja. 20180514_170712.jpg
And this is Bud.

Both older. Meja is 10 and Bud recently turned 12. Meja still getting used to the home, so I'm hoping she gets used to everything cause shes just a cuddle bug.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

Personally I would never use any of that stuff or a difuser One gets sensitive to such stuff once you have breathing problems (i.e. C.O.P.D.)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is kind of boring, and i do miss some of my sprays and wall flowers n such. But i have a husband with copd, a cat with Asthma. So we have a fragrance free home. I have gotten use to it, and am surprised at how some fragrances at work and other places bother me now. I have very few headaches now, but if im around a lot of perfume or fragrant products i get them. I have gotten use to my fragrance free home, and i think we are better of for it. But yea, kinda dull sometimes :rolleyes2:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One thing I came across in my research is that beeswax candles have a bit of a scent of honey, which could be rather lovely.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is kind of boring, and i do miss some of my sprays and wall flowers n such. But i have a husband with copd, a cat with Asthma. So we have a fragrance free home. I have gotten use to it, and am surprised at how some fragrances at work and other places bother me now. I have very few headaches now, but if im around a lot of perfume or fragrant products i get them. I have gotten use to my fragrance free home, and i think we are better of for it. But yea, kinda dull sometimes :rolleyes2:
Was at my Sisters for Christmas one time and she had several "scented" candles burning and it was stifling to me, I couldn't breathe. I put them out, which probably was rude but when she asked me about it I told her. She lays off that stuff now. People don;t stop to think but whatever that is you think smells nice is just another form of air pollution (IMO).

sorry if I am ranting, don't mean to but scents bother some people and I don't see how they are a healthy thing.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked up battery-powered flameless candles at a Ross on a whim one day. I expected them to be a bust. But the price was right for a gamble. I am surprised and impressed. They satisfy the ambiance of candlelight with none of the fire or fragrance hazards. Perhaps you can find a set you like.

Amazon.com : battery powered candles

Sadly, these won't make your environment smell like a bakery.