Is a Scottish straight a breed?

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our baby Belle is wonderful, her mum is a beautiful blue scottish fold and dad is a matching British shorthair but belle has missed the gene for folded ears (not that we care) so her passport calls her a scottish straight - is that really a breed or should she be called a British short hair? I would put a picture here but I haven't worked out how to yet :)

Paul

Kiev

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

Our baby Belle is wonderful, her mum is a beautiful blue scottish fold and dad is a matching British shorthair but belle has missed the gene for folded ears (not that we care) so her passport calls her a scottish straight - is that really a breed or should she be called a British short hair? I would put a picture here but I haven't worked out how to yet :)

Paul

Kiev
 Hi @Paul9856.

Here's the info on how to include a picture in a post.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Paul

Kiev
Yes, calling her Scottish straight is proper.   POSSIBLY scottish fold but with non folded ears.  It depends if she does carry the gene or not.  Im not sure of the exact genetics - is fold gene dominant or recessive? 

Sorry for the rant, anyways, Scottish straigh is a breed, the sister breed to folds, and used often to mix out the folds.  The British is the other breed often used for mixing out.

Thus, both these scottish breeds do have much british in them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Stefan

Thanks for that, my understanding is that the Fold is not a fully dominant gene but breeding a Scottish Fold to another Fold leads to genetic problems so a fold must ALWAYS be outcrossed if that is the right term and the breed of choice is normally the British shorthair. Now I am not a breeder nor do I know much about genetics but if I were I would be extremely wary of using a Scottish Straight as either Sire or Dam with a Scottish Fold, just my tupenny worth as we Brits say

Regards

Paul ( now a British shorthair myself thanks to the barbers :))

fishandbones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg I was watching Scottish fold at cats 101. Yours is so cute even if her ears don't fold. Belle is stunning!

pedro oliveira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys. First post! Yei!!!! :D

I havê a question, whata The difference between a british shorthair and a scottish straight?

They are very similar.... I havê been searching The web to learn what males them differ but still havê not found anything on this matter....

Thank you...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi guys. First post! Yei!!!!

I havê a question, whata The difference between a british shorthair and a scottish straight?

They are very similar.... I havê been searching The web to learn what males them differ but still havê not found anything on this matter....

Thank you...
I believe the scots carry often kilts and the english carry trousers.  

Also, the scots use plaids while the english uses umbrellas.     That is the most obvious difference.   :)

Joke aside. The differerence cant be big, as they are regularly incrossed, through the scottish fold if nothing else...

I have the impression scottish straigh are a little sleeker.  While the british of show quality shall be quite rounded

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I understand (which may not be entirely correct :tongue2:), Scottish Straights are from the same litters as Scottish Folds, just with straight ears. They need to be distinguished from Brits because most ethical breeders do not breed Straights to Folds, they only use British Shorthairs to breed to Folds, because Straights still carry the fold gene, which is lethal/crippling when doubled.

This seems to explain it well: http://www.vegasbrits.com/Scottish_fold_cats.html

Goatie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I hope someone can help me here.
If I got a kitten from the mix British short hair and Scottish fold that has straight ears, will he have the Osteochondrodysplasia genes?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I understand (which may not be entirely correct :), Scottish Straights are from the same litters as Scottish Folds, just with straight ears. They need to be distinguished from Brits because most ethical breeders do not breed Straights to Folds, they only use British Shorthairs to breed to Folds, because Straights still carry the fold gene, which is lethal/crippling when doubled.
Willowy, I know this is an old post, but straight eared Scottish kittens do not carry the folded-ear gene, as it is a dominant gene. Unfortunately, however, researchers have found that the folded-ear gene can cause osteochondrodysplasia even when heterozygous (only one copy of the gene) :(

Some breeders are now focusing on just breeding Scottish Straights, because it doesn't have the risk of osteochondrodysplasia, and it is in every other respect the same adorable cat as the Fold, it just doesn't have the folded ears. Scottish Straights are accepted for show in some associations, for example TICA.
Scottish Straight Introduction

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I remember reading that there was new research on them. Really kind of opens an ethical can of worms :/.

Goatie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply. I'm getting a mainecoon/Bengal and Scottish fold/British short hair mix kitten. Do you think the cross is ok?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm confused! Do you mean that you are getting one kitten with 4 different breeds combined? Or two kittens with two breeds combined in each kitten?

Are these actual breeds mixed together, or just someone's guesses from what the kittens look like?

Goatie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_1389.JPG
Yes it's confusing when I first saw the post. It's 4 combined breeds. Mummy is Bengal Mix Mainecoon. Daddy is British Shorthair Mix Scottish fold.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You do not need to worry about Scottish Fold osteochondrodysplasia because the kitten doesn't have folded ears.

However, if a breeder is combining all these breeds on purpose, they are not a legitimate breeder and I would stay far away from them, no matter how cute the kitten might look.