Is a papillon a good dog with cats?

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree Milk maid.  I said that few posts ago.  If it turns to adoption great but hopefully the shelter will have a trainer on staff and a social/obiedience class for the dogs from the shelter.  Also it would be volunteering for the kids in we help pets out cause so many have no homes and one is found we give the dog back not a string of failed adoptions.

Take your time.  There will always be animals in need :(  Good luck whatever route you go to you and your family.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is a dog that needs a temporary home (we live in oil boom country) that I have considered.

I guess the reason I have been hesitant to foster is because my youngest cat was supposed to be a foster and I totally failed at that and she is now a permanent family member.
I guess fostering a dog and finding that it was the perfect fit and adopting it wouldn't be the end of the world either now would it ;-)

If and when I do get a new dog I know at least 2 things. It will not be a puppy and it will be known to be good with children, cats, and other dogs.

Pete is still doing great with his new family. He is much loved and has more space to run and be a terrier. I miss him, I loved him and I hope he has a long and happy life there. I think finding him the best home for him that so happened to be someone I knew and I get updates is nice.

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was just thinking how this time last year I was brought these two tiny one week old eyes still shut kittens. It was heartbreaking that one died (I think that's another reason I don't want to foster). But I planned my every waking moment around what little mojo needed. Raising a kitten and watching her grow was totally rewarding. And now she is one and beautiful and well adjusted. I love her :-)

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well a foster to adopt would be ideal for you and many others.  You need to step back and see the best life for the pet which you have done in the past!  I think it may be easier to have a dog a few days/weeks and know that there are plenty of homes that can give any dog a PERFECT 10 home. If you are it GREAT but if not you give it the best you can till that perfect home comes along and keep that dog happy and content instead of being in a shelter.

Bottle babies are so different then pups/kittens or dogs/cats.  Even with the best of care some are just not meant to make it and will die.  And in alot of cases there are issues you don't know about or dont know until its to late(the mother was bred many times or was really starved, rejected litter due to medical reasons

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
If you are really intent on getting another dog if you feel Pete isn't a good match, I'd highly recommend finding a shelter that fully analyzes the dog's personality and run the dog through test, and matches the dog with what the potential owner requires. If the shelter tests the dog with other animals, kids, cats and other things, they SHOULD know if the dog is a right fit for you. TAKE YOUR TIME in seeking a dog and try not to impulse again, lol.  I'd also recommend seeking an older dog that's past its puppy stage, and potentially 'proven' to be good with cats by the shelter. I put 'proven' in quotes because you really never know how the dog is and no shelter can guarentee the tests will match you perfectly.

good luck with whatever you decide.

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are really intent on getting another dog if you feel Pete isn't a good match, I'd highly recommend finding a shelter that fully analyzes the dog's personality and run the dog through test, and matches the dog with what the potential owner requires. If the shelter tests the dog with other animals, kids, cats and other things, they SHOULD know if the dog is a right fit for you. TAKE YOUR TIME in seeking a dog and try not to impulse again, lol.  I'd also recommend seeking an older dog that's past its puppy stage, and potentially 'proven' to be good with cats by the shelter. I put 'proven' in quotes because you really never know how the dog is and no shelter can guarentee the tests will match you perfectly.

good luck with whatever you decide.
Thank you and that is exactly what I plan on doing and in fact am waiting on an application right now.