Is a male adult cat a good idea?

Lucy&Petra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an almost 1 year old cat and a 2 year old cat, both females. They've only lived together for two months so they're still learning to get along. They're not that rough with one another, and they do sometimes play chase, but I would say they are not quite buddies. That may change over time or it may not.

In the meantime, I do want to get a third cat. However, I don't have the energy for a kitten, so that's not an option. Based on the temperaments of my two current female cats, I actually think a friendly adult male would be the right mix for my two female cats. The 1 year old is very friendly and playful, she gets nervous around the 2 year old. The 2 year old is also friendly, somewhat playful but better at lounging, but she does sometimes randomly lash out of the 1 year old (probably a few things going on there). In any event I think a third friend might give each of the girls another cat to play with instead of them only having each other.

Any opinions or insights on this? Thanks!!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats get less adaptible as they age. In very general terms, kittens will always befriend other cats if they can, and cats under two have an excellent chance. Cats above 8, the chances arent particularly great, your more looking at toleration. In between, who knows. The % odds is a spectrum as they age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lucy&Petra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is generally true, I agree. I guess what you're saying is if I'd like to get a male cat but don't want a kitten then maybe a 1-2 year old is a good idea. Which is a fair point, thank you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Males are usually more laid back and tolerant in my opinion. Females are the manners teachers, the limit setters, and are very intolerant of others in their territory. you would be better off with a neutered male, I agree.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is generally true, I agree. I guess what you're saying is if I'd like to get a male cat but don't want a kitten then maybe a 1-2 year old is a good idea. Which is a fair point, thank you.
...well, from an odds of friendship point of view yes, but there isnt always much difference between a 1.5 year old and a kitten in terms of activity and crazyness. I'd probably look at a cat 2-4 that is in a home, not a shelter, where you are getting a reliable report of its behavior/personality. Might be hard to find.

Lucy&Petra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two great cat rescue organizations I've adopted from so I'll return to them - they foster cats in homes and so you generally get a pretty good sense of the cat's personality. Thank you both for your perspectives!

Lucy&Petra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Males are usually more laid back and tolerant in my opinion. Females are the manners teachers, the limit setters, and are very intolerant of others in their territory. you would be better off with a neutered male, I agree.
I so agree with this by the way!!