Is A Little Drooling Normal?

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've recently noticed that Charlie has been drooling a little. Its nothing excessive but there is definitely a little drool coming from his mouth at times. Is it normal? We've never noticed it with him until recently and none of our other cats have ever done this. Theres nothing in his mouth, we checked and his teeth appear to be fine there is no redness.

A little about Charlie, he is a 7 year old neutered male. He is strictly an indoor cat. He is eating and drinking normally. He did have some teeth issues when he was a kitten but he has been fine since. He is a very easily stressed cat so I don't want to take him to the vet unless it is 100% necessary. He goes for his yearly checkup and needles in August.

Is a little drool normal?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm not a vet but with no redness visible, and since he's eating the same, you're probably ok. --If there is lip smacking that could indicate nausea.
My Big Guy has always drooled, bad teeth, good teeth, stress, no stress, doesn't seem to matter. I have to wash windows every couple weeks since he presses his muzzle against the glass looking for feral cats, squirrels, people, dogs, birds LOL
In any case, there have been several thread discussions just lately about drooling cats and mostly it seems to be normal. Just keep an eye on things and peek in his mouth every now and then just to be sure.
If you wanted to, aside from the drooling but for his stress, you could look into calming products such as collars, treats, diffusers, - vetriscience and pet naturals as well as only natural pet and Lambert vet supply are some products and places to look, there are a lot of different ingredients so there may be something that helps him.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am no vet either, but I completely agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom . A little drool from time to time can be perfectly normal. My senior inside cat, Roo is hypersensitive to anything in the environment. If I'm cleaning it can bring on a little drool, if he is stressed it brings it on. Even an intense purring session will bring on the drool and dribble. Just keep an eye on the mouth and I think you'll be good. :)

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There isn't any lump or bump under his chin is there? To be just on the safe side, I'm going to be the odd one out and suggest you take him to the Vet. The reason I say this is because my older cat started doing that and I thought nothing of it, teeth looked good, eating fine, etc. And come to find he has cancer. I don't mean to scare you but I'd rather you get him checked out by vet and ease the worry of your mind.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he is eating normally and seem happy, I wouldn't worry too much. I have had "droolers" before. Sometimes they ended up having early grade dental disease, but I never bothered to have their teeth cleaned or extracted and they were fine. 7 years old would be about the start of gum issues, etc.

However, if he stops eating normally or loses weight, I would take to vet.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ehhh despite if he is eating normally and seems happy, we all know cats do any and everything to hide their discomfort or that anything is wrong.... if the drooling suddenly started, and he is otherwise seeming fine (eating and not nauseous), at 7 years old, I would take him to the vet and have his teeth/gums checked/. When is the LAST time he was at the vet? Has he had a dental cleaning before?

EDIT: Totally missed that his next check up is in August... he is probably fine until then. If it gets worse I would take him in sooner. Other then rabies vaccine, I would be much much more interested in saving a little extra up for bloodwork, maybe a dental in the future depending what the vet thinks. Especially since he had dental issues when he was younger. What kind of dental issues did he have?

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats drools a bit whenever he's all happy from a good petting session. I asked the Vet about it and he said some cats drool from stimulation like that. Have you noticed a pattern on when it happens?