Is A Complete Dry Food Diet Okay For My 6 Month Old Kitten?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ariel2611

Proud Mommy to Ariel and Snowy :-)
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long will 2.5kg of purizon dry last? James 1.5kg is supposed to last approx 1 month and it costs £8.50 a month...
Columbine Columbine

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok. The Purizon Kitten dry is £5.38 per kg if you get the 6.5kg bag, or £5 per kg if you get the offer of 2x6.5kg. James Wellbeloved is £5.66 per kg is you get the saver pack. That's how the Purizon is cheaper. Plus, Purizon is a higher energy food, so you need to feed less of it per meal I can't give you specific weight per feed as I don't know how big your girl is, but check the feeding guidelines for each food. For example, I think 80g of the James Wellbeloved kitten would be equal to 60g of the Purizon. If you tell me what amount you're feeding now, I can probably help you more. Approx kitten weight helps too ;)

When you move into adult foods, things change. Then, James Wellbeloved is significantly cheaper per kg (as low as £3.45/kg vs Purizon's £5/kg). Applaws is a bit cheaper, starting at £4.27/kg depending on flavour. In the Adult foods, all three brands are similar calories and therefore similar feeding quantities. It does get very confusing.

I actually feed my guys Porta 21 Feline Finest. I think it's better than the James Wellbeloved and, at £3-4/kg (depending on variety) is just cheaper than the James Wellbeloved. You are buying big bags though (I get the 10kg ones), but you can keep it in a well sealed container or even bag some up to freeze to keep it fresh. I went with the Porta 21 Cat's Heaven because it's a lower calorie food that's still good quality (my girl is on steroids so her weight can be an issue ;)). Not so great for your needs, as you'd be feeding significantly more of it, but great for my needs. This is a great example of why you need to work out how much you're feeding of each food before you can accurately compare costs/prices.

Another fractionally cheaper option is Purely from Pets at Home. That looks pretty much on a level with James Wellbeloved, is fed at the same quantities, but is £3.50 a kg for smaller 4kg bags (to get that same price with James Wellbeloved you'd be buying 10kg sacks - smaller bags are often easier for single cat households). Just trying to give you options here ;)

Sorry for such a slow response - I'm researching things for you as I type :winkcat:

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
:yeah: What @Furballsmom said :agree:

That all looks good to me :thumbsup: When you transition onto adult dry food, consider switching to Purzion or Applaws adult - they're a little cheaper and better quality. By all means let her tummy settle for now. I'd use maybe 3/4 of what you have, then transition onto one of the other two dry foods over the course of a few weeks. James Wellbeloved isn't a bad food. I just think there are better out there, and it's overpriced for the ingredients used. I have a friend who feeds James Wellbeloved to her girl, and she's thriving on it. Definitely don't feel bad about feeding it. I'm just giving you my personal opinions ;)

I'm so glad I was able to help you :D
If I fed her a 50/50 diet of bozita adult 370g and purizon adult what would be the daily , monthly and yearly calculations ?

I think you're getting confused by labels. The 4% chicken refers to that meat only, not the total meat content. The foods I listed are all high meat foods - they're just from a mix of different meats. The 4% listing refers to the flavour/variety only ;) (like a strawberry yogurt might be 4% strawberries). I hope that makes sense :)

Yes, exactly. The kitten Bozita you ordered will last her 2 days, not one. The big 370g packs will do 4 meals...just keep it in the fridge to preserve it (or even freeze half for defrosting at a later date. Just be sure to label it clearly).
The big 370g will do 4 meals which is 2 days if I feed her a 50/50 diet.
How much will it cost to feed her the 370g if I do 50/50 of wet and dry?

You said 370g lasts 4 meals / 185g for 2 meals or one days worth of wet food.
Which means that 6 packs of bozita will last me 12 days...?

How much 50/50 meals will I get out of the 370g bozita pack?

Sorry just very confused lol!

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok. The Purizon Kitten dry is £5.38 per kg if you get the 6.5kg bag, or £5 per kg if you get the offer of 2x6.5kg. James Wellbeloved is £5.66 per kg is you get the saver pack. That's how the Purizon is cheaper. Plus, Purizon is a higher energy food, so you need to feed less of it per meal I can't give you specific weight per feed as I don't know how big your girl is, but check the feeding guidelines for each food. For example, I think 80g of the James Wellbeloved kitten would be equal to 60g of the Purizon. If you tell me what amount you're feeding now, I can probably help you more. Approx kitten weight helps too ;)

When you move into adult foods, things change. Then, James Wellbeloved is significantly cheaper per kg (as low as £3.45/kg vs Purizon's £5/kg). Applaws is a bit cheaper, starting at £4.27/kg depending on flavour. In the Adult foods, all three brands are similar calories and therefore similar feeding quantities. It does get very confusing.

I actually feed my guys Porta 21 Feline Finest. I think it's better than the James Wellbeloved and, at £3-4/kg (depending on variety) is just cheaper than the James Wellbeloved. You are buying big bags though (I get the 10kg ones), but you can keep it in a well sealed container or even bag some up to freeze to keep it fresh. I went with the Porta 21 Cat's Heaven because it's a lower calorie food that's still good quality (my girl is on steroids so her weight can be an issue ;)). Not so great for your needs, as you'd be feeding significantly more of it, but great for my needs. This is a great example of why you need to work out how much you're feeding of each food before you can accurately compare costs/prices.

Another fractionally cheaper option is Purely from Pets at Home. That looks pretty much on a level with James Wellbeloved, is fed at the same quantities, but is £3.50 a kg for smaller 4kg bags (to get that same price with James Wellbeloved you'd be buying 10kg sacks - smaller bags are often easier for single cat households). Just trying to give you options here ;)

Sorry for such a slow response - I'm researching things for you as I type :winkcat:
My kitten is approx 3kg at 6 months maybe more around about that though...
Won't a bigger bag go stale?

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise

No need to apologise you have been ever so helpful !!! I don't know what I'd do without you lol! I'd be going even more crazier ! Lol

The James wellbeloved adult is £9 for 2 kg compared to purizon which is £18 for 2.5kg!
Am I doing my calculations wrong again!?

Purizon is £7.20 per KG for 2.5kg
James is £4.50 per KG for 4kg

I'm so confused lol! I'm so dumb at math!

Bozita wet: I will be feeding her how much again?
Should I feed her a quarter each day meaning one pack (out of 6 ) will last 4 days
Should I feed her a 50/50 or stay with my 3 dry meals and one wet? What do you think is better price wise?

Is James a good food?
Can I just stay with that?
If I stay with that for now money wise is that okay as like you said it is cheaper than purizon . ...?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok. Purizon kitten, if you got the 2x6.5kg offer, would cost just over 16p/day to feed. Bozita would cost you just over 57p/day to feed (yes, 6 packs = 12 days of food). That's a total of 74p/day (rounding up) and £5.18 a week. As she grows, she will eat slightly more (i.e. a 4kg kitten needs more than a 3kg kitten), but it will start to level off once she hits a year old. It works out at £269 a year. If anything, it'll be less once she's on adult dry food as that's cheaper than the kitten food ;)

Stick with James Wellbeloved and Bozita, but take advantage of the saver packs for the best value...or feed Purely from Pets at home as your dry food (getting the 4kg bags), as you can get a comparable food and price point but in a smaller bag format. Does that simplify things for you?

ETA - this plan should mean that you'll definitely be in budget food wise, even when she's full grown :)

Vikingsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I fed my first cat James Wellbeloved. There's a reason for the name - my cat absolutely loved that food too. Are you in the UK? I haven't seen it since moving to the US.

Personally, I've always mixed it up. Dry food daily - I always have dry food out (Hills Science), with some wet food in the mornings every to every other day. I started doing this many years ago, when I realized my cat back then didn't like drinking water. I even mixed a bit of warm water into his wet food as he loved drinking the gravy/broth so that's how I knew he was getting enough water. Strangely enough, he loved dirty rain puddle water, and flower pot rain water - basically anything that wasn't fresh water. (Cats...)

And although none of my cats ever caught a UTI, I have just stuck with feeding wet food as well, just to switch things up for the furry freeloaders. As long as it's high quality! (I look for high protein, Blue Wilderness is a good brand). Viking loves any wet food with mackerel in it, so I think he deserves having a varied diet. It's a tiny bit more messy than dry food, and doesn't do a lot of good for his breath (especially trying to clean my face), but it makes him happy, so that makes me happy. Happy cat - happy life!

Hi,
So I recently transitioned my 6 month old kitten to the 'James Wellbeloved' Complete dry kitten food in Turkey flavour from her 50/50 original diet of both.

I did this because on the rubbish original wet food she was on (Whiskas wet & dry) her poop was softer and stinkier which was not good and her coat was dull etc.

So I asked my vets who said that a high quality complete dry food (such as James wellbeloved) is better for cats because it does not have as much additives (etc) or E-numbers like wet food has.

My vet said that as long as she is a good water drinker that that may be better for her health wise. So I ordered a trial pack and since Tuesday she has been eating it and is now only on that. Her poop is back to normal (she had dihorrea when I transitioned her to a canned food) and is not too hard nor soft. It does not smell near as much as it did on whiskas which is also fab!

I wanted your opinions/ advice as cat lovers ...

What do you feed your cats / kittens?
Are those who feed their cats dry okay health wise?

I will be 100% be giving her occasional wet food as a treat alongside homemade food that cats are allowed to eat such as cooked scrambled eggs, chicken, pumpkin etc.

I am also going to be ordering a water fountain for her which will be upstairs ( where she is most of the time) and she will have her usual food and water bowl downstairs. She does drink plenty of water from her water bowl too...

What do you think?
Will she be okay health wise on a complete dry cat food diet?

Thanks to all in advance :-)

Vikingsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, and I forgot to mention that Viking has always had solid poops with this diet. Even with wet food mixed into it. Not gonna go as far as saying his poop doesn't stink, but I know the difference between stinky poop and "normal" smelly poops. He has normal smelly poops! But his poops are solid, and even if they smelled horrific I wouldnt really know because the pellets cover the smell within seconds.

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise

Please check these calculations ... are they correct ?

50/50 diet

Bozita: £6 for 6

370g- about 4 days (50g for both meals each day-100g for two wet meals a day) = £1

£1 = 4 days
£7.50 =30 days

£7.50 - 1 month
£90 - 1 year

James wellbeloved 50/50
2000g = £9 - 40 days

£9 - 40 days
£82.12 - 365 days
50g with wet food every day!

Purizon 50/50 diet

2500g = £18
2500g - 50 days

£18 - 50 days
£131.40 -365 days
On a 50/50 diet

James wellbeloved + Bozita:

£82.12 + £90 = £172.12

Purizon + Bozita:

£131.40 + £90 = £221.40for

Last edited:

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok. Purizon kitten, if you got the 2x6.5kg offer, would cost just over 16p/day to feed. Bozita would cost you just over 57p/day to feed (yes, 6 packs = 12 days of food). That's a total of 74p/day (rounding up) and £5.18 a week. As she grows, she will eat slightly more (i.e. a 4kg kitten needs more than a 3kg kitten), but it will start to level off once she hits a year old. It works out at £269 a year. If anything, it'll be less once she's on adult dry food as that's cheaper than the kitten food ;)

Stick with James Wellbeloved and Bozita, but take advantage of the saver packs for the best value...or feed Purely from Pets at home as your dry food (getting the 4kg bags), as you can get a comparable food and price point but in a smaller bag format. Does that simplify things for you?

ETA - this plan should mean that you'll definitely be in budget food wise, even when she's full grown :)
If I feed her adult purizon + bozita what does it work out to yearly ? Please. Thanks
She's 6 months old, approx 3kg

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok. Purizon kitten, if you got the 2x6.5kg offer, would cost just over 16p/day to feed. Bozita would cost you just over 57p/day to feed (yes, 6 packs = 12 days of food). That's a total of 74p/day (rounding up) and £5.18 a week. As she grows, she will eat slightly more (i.e. a 4kg kitten needs more than a 3kg kitten), but it will start to level off once she hits a year old. It works out at £269 a year. If anything, it'll be less once she's on adult dry food as that's cheaper than the kitten food ;))

This is with bozita + purizon ? That's weird .. I calculated bozita & purizon to equalling £221.40 according to the feeding guidelines of 50g a day and with bozita 100g a day - 1 370g box will last approx 4 days..

Stick with James Wellbeloved and Bozita, but take advantage of the saver packs for the best value...

Okay... james wellbeloved & bozita ..

or feed Purely from Pets at home as your dry food (getting the 4kg bags), as you can get a comparable food and price point but in a smaller bag format. Does that simplify things for you?

??? Never mind lol!

On both...
bozita & James OR bozita & purizon ?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lol no worries. To clarify, budget is for James Wellbeloved or Purely (pets at home) and Bozita.

There's been so much talk around this now I'm not surprised your head is spinning. I know mine is :dizzy: :lol:

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise

Bozita wet :
4 days - 1 pack
30 days - 8 packs
( £12 a month - you can't get individual packs)
£12 - month
£144 - year (some left over each month)... does that make sense? So my pricing of approx £144 every year for wet

&

James wellbeloved dry:
£9 every month/ approx £82.12 every year for dry

Total: approx less than £230 = UNDER BUDGET

PURIZON + BOZITA:
Approx £132 a year + approx £144 a year =
= approx under £280 / UNDER BUDGET

Right????????
Please check!!!

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol no worries. To clarify, budget is for James Wellbeloved or Purely (pets at home) and Bozita.

There's been so much talk around this now I'm not surprised your head is spinning. I know mine is :dizzy: :lol:
My head is too!
I'm so so so very sorry! I trust you and I'm so happy that it is YOU advising me right now... I am SOOO thankfull!!!

Can you clarify if my calculations for bozita + James dry are right ( in budget or not)
AND
If my calculations for bozita & purizon are right (in budget of £300 a year based on her age and weight )...

???
I'm so very sorry !
Please do forgive me for my stupidity lol!.

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise

My calculations for bozita and James are much lower than yours.. mine for both is approx under £175 for both ... feeding 50g of James a day and a quarter of 370g of bozita wet a day twice

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Ariel2611 Ariel2611 Columbine has really been trying to help you, but you need to ease up a bit. You have directed 5 messages at her in the past half hour and when she doesn't respond right away you send more. :lol: You were doing the same with Neo_23. We have a lot of members here that are very helpful but please don't wear them out. :) If you do, they may stop being quite so helpful. ;)

ETA - make it 7 messages.

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
When you are free Columbine Columbine then you can answer my billion and one questions IF you want to regarding the prices of all of them....

Untill then I will continue to feed her dry James only... is that okay?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm back. James Wellbeloved kitten works out at 23p a day or £82.68 a year.

Zooplus has a special offer on Purizon right now, making it cost just over 16p a day or £58.40 a year...but you're buying 6.5kg bags vs 1.5kg bags.

• Purizon (current offer) = £266.45 a year.
  • James Wellbeloved KITTEN = £290.73 a year.
  • James Wellbeloved/Purely ADULT = £269 a year (rounding up a touch to allow for increased weight and therefore higher food needs).
I hope that makes sense now. I've done the best I can for you anyway ;)