Is A Booster Vaccination Needed?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I've been talking to couple different vets about Tucker, prices for an xray and wellness exam and some bloodwork to make sure he's healthy and not showing any early signs of disease or illness and get him up to date on vaccines, he haven't been vaccinated since 8 months old, he's now 6 years old. Couple of vets told me, he would need a booster after initial vaccine for distemper and felv because he haven't been vaccinated in awhile. I'm wondering is the booster necessary? Or can I skip it?

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can do a titer test to see if he still has antibodies. That is what I do for my boy who doesn't tolerate combo vaccines. Rabies vaccines are a whole other story; it just saves so much trouble if he ever does bite someone, even a family member. If he's current on Rabies vac there will be no mandatory quarantine period and everyone can rest easy.

The titer test costs about as much as the vaccine so only you can decide if it's worth it. If you are trying to save money then Titer is not the way to go. If you are trying to avoid an overnight stay at a animal hospital because your cat has historically had adverse reactions to the vaccine then titering makes sense, done on the same schedule that the vaccines are done on.

6 years is way overdue. I'd probably just get the shots and titer next year. Just don't mess with rabies vacs. Those are vital.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about doing a tiger test but I need to save money. I want to get him and his brother up to date. I'm just curious if a booster is needed few weeks after the initial shots? The two girls been recently vaccinated against all core vaccines including rabies except felv at a low cost clinic, so i don't have to worry about them for while. But I'm going to try get them vaccinated for felv too, including the two brothers

One thing I'm confused about does the felv vaccine make them test positive?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I'm confused about does the felv vaccine make them test positive
Nope. That's the FIV vaccine, and it's not commonly used in the US.

The manufacturer's recommendation for the FVCRP shot says that adult cats with "unknown vaccine histories" should have a booster 3-4 weeks after the initial vaccine. If he had his kitten vaccines I don't think that's necessary. Up to you.

Most vets don't do x-rays for no reason. Is there a reason you want him to have x-rays? That's not normally part of a routine checkup.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also curious why your vet wants to xray your cat? I have noticed some vets will booster the vaccine if it hasn't been done in years or if no record exist of it having been done.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. That's the FIV vaccine, and it's not commonly used in the US.

The manufacturer's recommendation for the FVCRP shot says that adult cats with "unknown vaccine histories" should have a booster 3-4 weeks after the initial vaccine. If he had his kitten vaccines I don't think that's necessary. Up to you.

Most vets don't do x-rays for no reason. Is there a reason you want him to have x-rays? That's not normally part of a routine checkup.
Yeah that what I thought but a CVT told me and I quote "The feline leukemia vaccine is recommended for outdoor cats. We do recommend having him tested first prior to starting the vaccine. The test shows antibiotics to feline leukemia. If he were to be exposed to it prior to the vaccine, we would be unable to tell from a test in the future if he was positive from the vaccine or from previous exposure." I was just confused, maybe she got it mixed up with fiv?

the reason why I want a xray or whatever the vet recommends is because He has a slight limp since kitten because he got his toes frozen off but his limp seem have gotten worse plus he never want to jump on things like the deck rail or like my window, it high jump and he doesn't seem to want to jump it.(his brother have no problems jumping on things including the window or the deck rail) but yet again I don't remember him wanting to jump on things ever beside kittenhood so I just want to make sure he doesn't have arthritis.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah ok then the xray makes sense. That sounds like a good idea.

It does sound like they are mixing up the FIV and FeLV vaccines. And if she said it shows antibiotics and not antibodies then she really doesn't know.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also curious why your vet wants to xray your cat? I have noticed some vets will booster the vaccine if it hasn't been done in years or if no record exist of it having been done.
Just so we are clear, I haven't been to a vet yet, just asking around about prices and stuff

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a good idea to test the cat first though, I do recommend that. The test is a quick blood draw and it tests for FIV, FeLV and heartworm.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah I forgot about heartworm, there no treatment once they do get it, right? It going to be awhile before im able to bring him in but im not in a rush, he's seem healthy and all, he's a happy and content cat so I'm not worried about him being sick but I'm worried that he isn't up to date on his shots since he's a outdoor cat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He probably still has antibodies to FVCRP. And maybe rabies too, but legally he's not covered so I'd recommend getting him the rabies shot as soon as you can.

They're all spayed/neutered, right?

If you're comfortable giving vaccines, you can get the basic vaccines at a farm store and administer them yourself. It isn't legal for the owner to give the rabies vaccine in most states (not legally recognized), so they'll still need to see a vet/clinic for that. But if you want them to have the FeLV vaccine, that's a cheaper way to do it.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He probably still has antibodies to FVCRP. And maybe rabies too, but legally he's not covered so I'd recommend getting him the rabies shot as soon as you can.

They're all spayed/neutered, right?

If you're comfortable giving vaccines, you can get the basic vaccines at a farm store and administer them yourself. It isn't legal for the owner to give the rabies vaccine in most states (not legally recognized), so they'll still need to see a vet/clinic for that. But if you want them to have the FeLV vaccine, that's a cheaper way to do it.
Yeah they're all neutered and spayed, got them done at a low cost clinc.

I don't think it legal for stores in Minnesota to sell pet vaccines because when I look on online stores, it say it can't ship to MN or need a prescription. Plus when I look on runnings website under store availability, it says all their stores in Minnesota doesn't have it. I should be able to get vaccines from fleet farm in North Dakota though but they don't carry Felv vaccines. So it looks like I have to get the felv shot from a vet.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Asked a vet and they told me that vaccines can be only sold to vets in MN. Can't buy them in stores

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, yeah, I can't find anything about that law, but there are only 7 states listed that they can't be shipped to, and MN is one of them, so the vet is probably right. If you're close to the ND border you might be able to get them there. Here, Tractor Supply and Fleet Farm have cat vaccines for sure, it's kind of hit-or-miss with independent stores or smaller chains.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I live (Turkey) vets usually decide this based on the location and the cat's lifestyle. Like how common or rare that virus is around, if the cat interacts with other cats, etc

Which I think is the right way to go about any vaccine for cats.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, yeah, I can't find anything about that law, but there are only 7 states listed that they can't be shipped to, and MN is one of them, so the vet is probably right. If you're close to the ND border you might be able to get them there. Here, Tractor Supply and Fleet Farm have cat vaccines for sure, it's kind of hit-or-miss with independent stores or smaller chains.
Yeah I should be able to get some at fleet farm or tractor supply, but when I look on their websites, they don't carry felv vaccines. So it looks like I have to get it from a vet

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I live (Turkey) vets usually decide this based on the location and the cat's lifestyle. Like how common or rare that virus is around, if the cat interacts with other cats, etc

Which I think is the right way to go about any vaccine for cats.
What I've read and understand is that FVCRP is recommended for every cat and Felv is only recommended depending on whether or not they're outside and location. here most vets I've talk to recommend it because they're outside cats

So went to fleet farm and got the vaccines. they don't have felv tho but Everything went smooth and quick. they barely felt it, besides a small meow from Tucker. Now all I need to do get all my cats vaccinated for felv and get Tucker and gray up to date on rabies.