Is 274 a concerning glucose level for a stressed cat?

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello!
Our 15 year old just got some blood work, and everything looked great, except that her glucose was high (274.) She was more stressed than usual during this vet visit (had to bring my two kids and she was stuck in the exam room with them while we waited.) The vet was worried about this blood glucose level, but I looked online and I guess an elevated glucose reading could have to do with stress? Just wondering if others out there have experience with this. She is a super healthy cat and doesn't have any symptoms of diabetes etc. Our regular vet closed unexpectedly and I don't have any of Tiny's old records, so I'm not sure if this is normal for her.

Thank you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The little I know its very high... s human vould try with an intensive work out, i dont know how you will get it to exercise without stressing it...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps this is surely mot normal for herr. May be stress related...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would re-test in a couple of weeks, no more than a month from now, to see if the reading is yet again high. Some vets will set up appointments in exam rooms away from the normal 'hustle-n-bustle' rooms for issues where stress is deemed to be a problem. Labs vary on how they record/range various elements of the blood work, so do you know what the range is for this lab that was used?

If the office recently shut down you can try calling, they might still have the files and could send them out - or have a referral number to call regarding past records. Sometimes another clinic will buy records from a closing one, call the closest ones and ask if they acquired the records. The closest clinics are going to be getting most of the patients so they might know. Some clinics can email records when they close, so you might check whatever email you gave them if you ever gave them one. Unfortunately, if neither of those things happen then the records are lost for good. Also, see link below if that can be of any help to you.

Lesson learned from this is that you always get copies of everything from a vet to keep for yourself. They are yours for free, and in cases like this one may come in handy down the road. I do it just so I can track my cat's results for myself.
Records Retention | American Veterinary Medical Association (avma.org)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! The reference range is 63-148. Thank you! Our vet closing was such a shock!