Invasion of ticks, due to get worse… remedies needed please?!

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello

where I live, ticks are mostly dormant between late October to mid/late April.

At the moment there are a few ticks found full and on the natural pathways my cats use throughout the house, not necessary our natural pathways, (like they jump halfway down the stairs onto furniture then the floor to run into kitchen, but we have to walk all the way down the stairs.) not sure why but my black youngest cat (not a year old yet) seems to get 10 times more than the others.

the first generation of my cats hardly ever got ticks, so we never really needed to worry too much, they may of had a few spikes here and there. But the youngsters (less than 2 year olds) seems to get loads.

our normal tick/flea medication doesn’t seem to effect the ticks, (kills fleas still great), the vet has given things to stop/kill them, but I think they are just collecting more than they should normally get.

i live right next to a wooded area, full of trees, bushes, vines etc, with a huge open field (not sure if it’s a green belt, or a nature reserve but the grass is only allowed to be cut twice per year, and that is just to stop people (mostly youngster) from setting it on fire when it starts to dry out.

Tick season will be high within a month, probably peaking June, then another high spike in august.

in a couple of vets around here, they state that we make a solution either made with lemon, salt, boric acid, washing up liquid, eucalyptus oil, rubbing alcohol, bleach, lavender oils... that we spray/rub onto the cats fur and any beds, carpets clothing etc. I don’t feel most of these are safe, some seem okay to do, so what do you do for a tick repellent for your cats and how effective are they, and how safe are they, would they effect behaviour if they don’t like the smell for example?

thank you