Introductions—shy Resident And Sassy Kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great, thank you! I think I have had it pretty easy here. They're not bosom friends yet but otherwise seems like everything couldn't have gone smoother. Clove really wants to pounce on that fluffy tail now. She approaches Chilli a lot more frequently now and kind of skitters away with a huff-and-puff at the last second. Chilli just watches looking very amused. ;) I think the two of them sort of played together last night--there were a lot of fun, awkward zoomies!

Also had a funny moment where Chilli was coming down the stairs and Clove was going up. Clove of course felt very threatened on the lower step and was hissing and growling and swiping... Chilli looked kind of annoyed but was being very patient and trying to carefully step around her... kept getting chased and swatted by the kitten anyway but graciously didn't react... finally she did a huge leap and sailed high over the kitten who looked as though she'd seen her life flash before her eyes! :lol:

I think Chilli looks like a great horned owl here. :lol: Clove is like the little annoying mouse! If you look at this picture you'd feel so sorry for the poor, helpless kitten being tormented by the fluffy beast, but let me tell you it was quite the other way around!
IMG_4276.JPG

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Question: assuming everything continues as it’s been going, is it inevitable that Clove will submit to Chilli as the dominant cat? Or might she continue to resist and be a spitfire until she’s big enough to take charge instead? I’d say about half the time she behaves like the video I posted earlier—flopping on her side and acting humbled—but pretty often she fights back with a hiss or a swat and she usually gets away with making the last move. Sometimes she runs right up to Chilli, swipes at her face (sometimes hissing), and then runs away. Could that just be play, though? Chilli usually doesn’t react at all besides jumping back or looking startled for a second. She doesn’t swipe or hiss back but also doesn’t look stressed or flee. She honestly doesn’t seem to care much about Clove being nearby at all. Occasionally she’ll put her in her place or try to play with her, but otherwise she goes about her regular calm daily routine and is very patient about the little kitten constantly pouncing on her tail.

They have been playing fairly often. Not wrestling but just zoomies/chase and occasional pouncing. That’s why I wondered if the swiping could be a form of play, or if Clove is still trying to assert herself. Or maybe just kitten insanity and Chilli knows that. ;)

Chilli was the dominant cat when Chai was here, but Chai was the most submissive and lovestruck cat I’ve ever seen so that was pretty straightforward. With Clove I’m curious what will happen because she seems to have a fairly dominant personality. She loves growling at her toys and her food (and even me at first, when I would pick her up or handle her—I hissed at her a few times and that pretty much solved the problem though!).

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Clove running up to Chili is to initiate play. And for a while the game might be to simply get a reaction out of Chili. I think it is too early to try to figure out who will be dominant in the relationship. So fun though to watch it unfold.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
rosegold rosegold , I'm so sorry to hear about Chai. What an emotional roller coaster you had with that kitty. I'm sure she appreciate having a home where she was loved in those last months of her life.

It's been fun to share the story of Clove's integration with Chili. Thanks for sharing!

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Clove is still being QUITE hissy and bristly at Chilli. Now that her confidence has grown, she has even charged at and swatted at Chilli a few times. Chilli really doesn't seem to react much one way or the other. She either sits there and watches with mild curiosity or jumps a bit and walks away if startled.

This video is an exception, where Chilli actually jumped forward with a swat, but even still her discipline seems pretty mild. I guess that's fine, right?

Chilli isn't acting scared or upset at all in general--she's rolling around on the floor and slow blinking at the kitten most of the time. Still eating and playing normally and everything. I just want to make sure the kitten's behavior isn't stressing her.

Today Clove also has started trying to interact with Chilli for the first time by means of pouncing on her fluffy tail. Both times resulted in Chilli getting startled and spinning around with a swat, and Clove fleeing and growling and acting like she's being unfairly attacked. Chilli doesn't chase or pursue her and Clove comes back around in a few minutes.
That is all perfectly normal. Chilli is a very patient big sister.

They have almost identical marks below their noses !! Clove's is just a smaller version !

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add, today Clove briefly tried to cuddle with Chilli! She was already sleepy, jumped up next to her and started purring, and tried to inch closer. Sadly Chilli was suspicious and immediately left. :lol:
Leaving is a whole lot better than getting miffed and smacking wee Clove. You'd better tell Clove to cool her jets - that she's the newbie and smaller and needs to be polite. Not that it will make the slightest difference. Mine never listen.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chilli seems a bit depressed now that Clove has full run of the house. She’s hiding a lot and not eating that well and seems generally grumpy. If the kitten is absent, Chilli perks right up and wants to play and purr and enjoy treats, but if the kitten comes back she gets grumpy again and refuses to play, even if Clove isn’t directly focused on her. Chilli has high places to get away from the kitten if she wants but she seems to prefer to just go in the corner and grump until the kitten goes away. Any suggestions? It makes me sad to see her like this and of course I’m starting to worry since she’s not eating much.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update, slightly off topic from this thread... I’m going to take Chilli to the vet tomorrow as I believe she has some kind of mouth pain which is causing the hiding and not eating. :( I noticed she hasn’t been grooming quite as well either. When I offered her some boiled chicken, which she usually loves, she could only eat a little and kept picking it up and dropping it out of her mouth and shaking her head. Also heard an odd grinding sound when she was chewing. So we are off to the vet tomorrow... better safe than sorry. Poor baby.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update, slightly off topic from this thread... I’m going to take Chilli to the vet tomorrow as I believe she has some kind of mouth pain which is causing the hiding and not eating. :( I noticed she hasn’t been grooming quite as well either. When I offered her some boiled chicken, which she usually loves, she could only eat a little and kept picking it up and dropping it out of her mouth and shaking her head. Also heard an odd grinding sound when she was chewing. So we are off to the vet tomorrow... better safe than sorry. Poor baby.
Poor Chilli ! Sending her good thoughts. Give her time to herself by putting Clove in her "apartment". Don't feel guilty. Most babies won't have nap time unless they're forced to.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww...good thoughts for Chilli! I just had a root canal, so I can sympathize.