Introductions of Two Kittens to Two Adults

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Quick question for you all ...

Short back story first.  We have 3yr old & 2yr old neutered males who, after their proper introductions at 19mos & 3.5mos old, are just thick as thieves.  We are about to interview for a job that would not only keep us in the town we would love to live in (after RVing the country for the past 4yrs) but it would also provide us a 3bdrm house to live in for a minimum of 5yrs, possibly 10yrs.

I would like a couple more cats.  Two more precocious rescue kittens.  And the hubby has agreed that if everything works out with the job, he would have no issue with one or two more as he has been totally smitten with our current two boys since we rescued them.

My questions:  Would it be more prudent to adopt one new kitten at a time and, of course, follow the proper introductions?  Or could two kittens (and at this point I would locally shelter rescue) be successfully introduced to our boys?  And would kittens - from a different litter be better than from the same litter i.e., bond with themselves since they know each other rather than bond with the rest of the family?

Reason being - there are presently 2 orange tabby male brothers that are 10wks old at our local shelter and that got me to thinking about it all
...  Granted these two tabbies may be adopted by the time things fall into place for us, but if the opportunity arose again within the next year I would really love to hear others experiences so I would know ahead of time if it's even feasible.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tend to think a pair of kittens tends to work best, as they can entertain each other rather than bugging the adults too much. I wouldn't say they had to be littermates, but in this situation I really would want them to know each other first...otherwise you have kitten-to-kitten introductions AND kittens-cats introductions...way too complicated for my brain to cope with 

I'll post some introduction links below, but I'd just like to make one other point : your current cats will have a massive upheaval just with the move. The kindest thing would be to let them settle in to their new house before adding to the family. Yes, I know that means a little wait, but I always work from the principal the your first duty HAS to be to the animals you already own. Just my 

[article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide  [/article][article="29726"]Introducing Cats To Cats  [/article][article="29658"]The Multi Cat Household  [/article][article="32804"]How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home  [/article]

kellie roberts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input Columbine!  Much appreciated.

We have discussed a waiting period of at least 6mos (but a year would not hurt my feelings) to let us all adjust to moving into 1100+ sq ft from our 300sq ft RV before adopting. 

I'm glad to hear your thoughts on kittens from the same litter as keeping themselves occupied until the older boys get used to their presence.  Luckily the house would be 3 bdrm (to isolate the new ones first to properly introduce them) as well as having a huge breezeway I plan on catifying to the max as a playroom for everyone at the right time.

kellie roberts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure how that just used my facebook login to reply .. but it's still me :)

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with Columbine and would also encourage you to adopt either sibling or 2 kittens known to get along really well. This will likely make for a smoother transition/integration for all involved.

And, don't worry, a pair of bonded kittens won't just keep to each other, they'll want to interact with you too!

I have currently have three 4-yr-old (2 boys are littermates, the girl is about 2 weeks younger) and all have been raised together since they were 4 wks and 2 wks old respectively. They get along beautifully with each other, and my 6 yr old brother/sister pair. All are affectionate with each other; but, are also VERY demanding of my attention...especially the 3 younger ones.