Introductions - exhausted

everything_is_political

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, just reaching out in case someone’s gone through something similar and has kind words/advice to offer. Haven’t slept properly/rested much in the last 10 days so please be gentle.

My partner and I have had a neutered male kitten since September last year. He’s now 10 months old and is the sweetest, most gentle little fella.
10 days ago, we got a second kitten who is only 10 weeks old (thus not neutered).

We live in a one bedroom apartment and are doing the slow intro approach. The resident kitten has access to most of the house, and the wee one has mostly been in his basecamp until 2 days ago. We’ve done the whole feeding close to the door, playing under the door, scent/sight swap, short intro with play and treats and so far it’s all going sort of alright. No hissing or growling, a few licks when they’re eating, chasing, etc but we always cut the session short when the resident cat goes for the kitten’s throat, chases him relentlessly, or pins him down for too long. Some sessions are shorter than others and the most they’ve been together has been 1hr and a half.

My partner and I have had to sleep apart all this time because the resident cat has separation anxiety and we simply cannot leave the kitten alone all night because he’s too young. I know people’s opinions can diverge on this but please know we’ve tried leaving the resident cat alone gradually (and all that’s recommended) to no avail. He once had to spend time alone at the hospital and hurt himself/had to be given relaxing drugs.

On top of all this, the kitten has had a bad tummy since arriving and is peeing everywhere. (Vet is involved).

I’m really just looking for people who have experienced something similar, who were exhausted, whose resident cat was at the kitten’s throat at any given opportunity... and now they’re ok.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I can safely say almost ALL of us have been where you are..... cats are young and will eventually become buddies, these things just all take time. rough play cAN injure a young kitten that is still small, so you are right in not letting it happen over long. The older kitten will eventually get his back and learn that it hurts what he does. 8 days of separation is pushing the limit, these introductions usually take months, not days. Since they are so young, it should be a little easier. The peeing kitten should be confined to a smaller area to be near a litter box until his medical issue is addressed. Make sure there are plenty of litterboxes around until both are a year old and then think of eliminating some. Get a good eNZYME cat urine cleaner to clean the messes and spray on areas that can't be easily cleaned, theses actually eliminate odors, not just clean them. The thing I always look for in cat introductions is that if the kitten getting hurt actually comes back after briefly running away, everything is normal. a kitten that is truly getting hurt will hide at the approach of the bully and will remain so. if this is happening they will have to be separated again and introductions restarted. kittens 'fighting' often sound like they are killing each other, swats, screams, wrestling matches, growling, and hissing is normal. I, myself, would break them apart too if the little one seems to get the worst of it, get a kickeroo on Amazon to throw towards the bully, or any small toy he really likes, to distract him maybe. or scoop him up, say NO loudly and give him a 5 minute time out alone in a closed room. no longer or they forget why they are being banished and just get scared. I hope others come on with ideas, I know this is a bad time, just keep thinking and saying like any new parent, 'this too, will pass".

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, just reaching out in case someone’s gone through something similar and has kind words/advice to offer. Haven’t slept properly/rested much in the last 10 days so please be gentle.

My partner and I have had a neutered male kitten since September last year. He’s now 10 months old and is the sweetest, most gentle little fella.
10 days ago, we got a second kitten who is only 10 weeks old (thus not neutered).

We live in a one bedroom apartment and are doing the slow intro approach. The resident kitten has access to most of the house, and the wee one has mostly been in his basecamp until 2 days ago. We’ve done the whole feeding close to the door, playing under the door, scent/sight swap, short intro with play and treats and so far it’s all going sort of alright. No hissing or growling, a few licks when they’re eating, chasing, etc but we always cut the session short when the resident cat goes for the kitten’s throat, chases him relentlessly, or pins him down for too long. Some sessions are shorter than others and the most they’ve been together has been 1hr and a half.

My partner and I have had to sleep apart all this time because the resident cat has separation anxiety and we simply cannot leave the kitten alone all night because he’s too young. I know people’s opinions can diverge on this but please know we’ve tried leaving the resident cat alone gradually (and all that’s recommended) to no avail. He once had to spend time alone at the hospital and hurt himself/had to be given relaxing drugs.

On top of all this, the kitten has had a bad tummy since arriving and is peeing everywhere. (Vet is involved).

I’m really just looking for people who have experienced something similar, who were exhausted, whose resident cat was at the kitten’s throat at any given opportunity... and now they’re ok.
di and bob is correct. Almost everyone has been there.

I will say, you are doing GREAT!!! The fact they have been together for 1hr and a half tells me they will eventually be just fine. Just keep up the great work. I am not reading any warring signs/issues that will cause problems.

Keep reassuring the resident cat, build his confidence (Play, Food, Height and Love), keep him on a routine to let him know everything is fine, keep giving him as much territory as possible. Let him know everything is fine, he will be well taken care of and the new kitten is not a threat (physical, food, water, litter, territory, etc).

di and bob gives excellent advice.

I know it is exhausting, frustrating, etc but you are doing a great job and I think you are already seeing solid results and will continue to see great progress. The cats are in great hands and that is really the key.

Hang in there, you'll look back soon with two happy cats and happy humans.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
10 days may seem like forever in this situation, but it really isn't that long for them to get used to each other. As others have said, you're doing everything right and it sounds like things are moving along pretty well! Hang in there.