Introduction To Visiting Dog

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our two cats get along really well (our 9-year-old was introducted to our 5-year-old, feral rescue, about two years ago). We have a friend from out of town who visits every few months, and at her last visit (two months ago), she brought her very sweet, newly rescued, 4-year-old dog (a terrier/poodle mix, as far as she can tell). We kept our cats in the bedroom (where they're used to being) for safety, knowing that terriers often chase cats and may injure them. We're all trying to figure out if it's wise to introduce them all to each other and, if so, how to do it. The problem is that this dog will be a random visitor, with no continuity, so no time to do a long, calm introduction. I'm looking advice on: 1) is it reasonable to try to introduce them and, 2) if so, how to do it as calmly and effectively as possible. It doesn't seem fair to keep them shut up in a room for a 48-hour stretch of time. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Here are my two cents worth - I have something similar, although additionally my big boy HATES dogs so maybe I shouldn't call this similar.

In any case, two dogs come by every now and then, for a few hours to sometimes overnight, with a relative. I have to remove EVERY thing cat related; litter boxes, toys, food and water...and the cat. I'm perfectly fine with keeping him contained away from the dogs (shelties) because we tried it a couple of times with the cat out while the dogs were here.

Turns out in his case it was just too stressful for him. One time I recall in particular, the relative was thinking of having Poppy "teach" one of the dogs about cats (I'm still not absolutely sure what she expected). I stepped in the moment I saw what was going on, picked up Poppy to remove him, and his heart was pounding. With that background, he's now just fine in his room, door closed and all the things he needs for that time.

My thinking is either to have your friend not bring the dog, contain the cats for that little bit of time, or try crating the dog while the cats roam, or crate the cats while the dog roams, and see what happens. If you aren't comfortable with what you're seeing, banish the dog or keep the cats contained :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much -- this is very helpful!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Here are my two cents worth - I have something similar, although additionally my big boy HATES dogs so maybe I shouldn't call this similar.

In any case, two dogs come by every now and then, for a few hours to sometimes overnight, with a relative. I have to remove EVERY thing cat related; litter boxes, toys, food and water...and the cat. I'm perfectly fine with keeping him contained away from the dogs (shelties) because we tried it a couple of times with the cat out while the dogs were here.

Turns out in his case it was just too stressful for him. One time I recall in particular, the relative was thinking of having Poppy "teach" one of the dogs about cats (I'm still not absolutely sure what she expected). I stepped in the moment I saw what was going on, picked up Poppy to remove him, and his heart was pounding. With that background, he's now just fine in his room, door closed and all the things he needs for that time.

My thinking is either to have your friend not bring the dog, contain the cats for that little bit of time, or try crating the dog while the cats roam, or crate the cats while the dog roams, and see what happens. If you aren't comfortable with what you're seeing, banish the dog or keep the cats contained :)
Agreed with everything you said Furballsmom Furballsmom , as usual!
I would definitely make it a rule that the dog is caged or confined in some way for some of the time. At least at night so the cats can roam if they choose and everyone gets "free time."
If the cats know there's a dog and voluntarily stay in that room for 48 hours, that's one thing, but the visitor should be courteous and be willing to keep their dog in such a way that the cats aren't scared. (The dog may be fine with cats, does the new owner know anything about the dogs history or if he was cat tested at the shelter?)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, the owner knows about the dog's history and, in fact, the dog lives with a cat and gets along with the cat very well. I think that your idea to have the dog be confined to the bedroom that my friend is staying in, while the cats can roam at will at night, is a great solution. My friend is flexible, has a cat (as noted above), and is very open to this. Thanks!