Introduction Issues......

my3grrlz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i read that there was a CORRECT way to introduce..but it is too late for that. what to do now?

i did feel that introducing them gradually at my home everyday/every couple of days would help them possibly be familiar with each other before bringing the kitten home. i did this for 3 weeks. i would bring her here..since she was originally living a few apts from us. at the time it seemed like a good idea. so far there are not any BAD events from us bringing her into our home almost a week ago. i kind of HAD TO bring her when i did becuz of not so safe issues in the home she was previously in. she was already weened and pretty much litter trained at the time as well.

what my issues are..as follows.........
my oldest, Bella..3 1/2 yrs old..has always had an issue with new cats, since she was with us for 1 yr by herself, so no surprise there. Bella seemed to be very upset about Sassy coming into our home. i did not use the correct introduction with them, as i was not aware of how to do it correctly, and Bella seemed to be VERY UPSET WITH ME for about 3 months..seriously. she didn't come up to me or let me pet her at all for that long. she would only go up to my daughter, and has always slept with Lana regularly anyway. she ONLY came to me when she was hungry. even to this day she will only come to me when she is hungry. she will allow me to pet her now, but that's it. maybe part of the problem there is that my husband and i didn't realize..til it was already happening for over a yr..that Lana would squeeze the heck out of Bella when she was a kitten, until a yr or so ago. she wanted Bella to STAY with her while she fell asleep. Lana once held her so tight that i needed help from my husband to get her arms open to rescue Bella..that was 1-2 yr ago sometime. ugh! i opened her arms while Rob pulled Bella away.
is there a way to get her to seem A LITTLE more affectionate..at all? i don't really let it bother me too much since i have Sassy as my affectionate kitty. i do try to play with her, but she is not very playful either. altho she hasn't been very affectionate or playful since she was about 9 months old..before Sassy came into our home.
in fact Sassy has never really liked Lana (our daughter). she runs from Lana and swats at her at times. she has always done that. Sassy and Bella do seem to play..not very often..but Sassy seems to have power since she is bigger. i hate when the bite at each other throats. i have found pieces of fur around once in a while when i come home from wherever i needed to go..but that has not happened for a good few months now. maybe that is calming down.
the issue with Bella and Ivee is this......
Bella will go up to Ivee on purpose and sit in front of her, a couple feet away, just to hiss at her..for nothing really. is it just that Bella is showing dominance?

as for the kitten......
Ivee is going to be 8 weeks old tomorrow. she is so funny. she just started chasing Bella and Sassy around. they don't fight..but the older 2 will stop and hiss to let Ivee know they are done with the chasing game. that isn't the problem. since i didn't introduce the 3 correctly they are having to deal however they can. Sassy seems to be letting Ivee get closer and closer every couple of days. Sassy also seems to be a little protector over Ivee at times..but then will turn around at times and will hiss then run from Ivee. is this normal? possibly play? or showing a bit of dominance too?

i know it will take time for them to accept Ivee. maybe i am just worrying for no reason?

Last edited:

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bella and Sassy's reaction to the kitten is very normal. They're just telling the little one the rules of the house. No need to worry.

As for Bella, let her be the cat she is. She has been traumatized by your daughter. Only time, your patience and love, may make Bella the cat she used to be. And even if she never returns to her former self, love her just the same and learn from this experience. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

my3grrlz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bella and Sassy's reaction to the kitten is very normal. They're just telling the little one the rules of the house. No need to worry.

As for Bella, let her be the cat she is. She has been traumatized by your daughter. Only time, your patience and love, may make Bella the cat she used to be. And even if she never returns to her former self, love her just the same and learn from this experience. 
i figured that it was normal to act this way towards the kitten. i guess i just worry too much. gotta give it some time.

seems like Sassy is accepting Ivee more today. they were actually sleeping under the bed together earlier. a few inches apart..but still together.

yeah..it actually breaks my heart that Bella was traumatized in that way. i feel so bad for her.
my poor Bella.

we tried to get our daughter to understand that what she was doing was not good for Bella. we even tried scaring her by tell her that she could SERIOUSY HURT BELLA by squeezing her so hard. we even told her that it wasn't fair to Bella if she needed to go potty or want some whatever or just want to stretch. nothing we told her or did would help her understand the severity. i still catch her..once in a while..hugging Bella tight enough that Bella can't get away. so she starts to MEOW a certain way and i know exactly why every time. so i go run to her rescue.