Introduction Gone Wrong

sjoh197

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I joined this site mostly because of our "new" cat cupcake. She was a stray cat outside that I was feeding in the hospital parking lot next to our apartment. Eventually she got inside (I have absolutely no idea how that happened) and went to the vet. She had a massive flea infestation, skin infection, broken tail, and smashed in teeth.

We already had two cats, latte and melya, who are both large long-haired calico cats who do not like the new cat. I have had many cats and have never had real trouble introducing them. We kept cupcake in her own separate room for a month while her infection cleared, and then did slow introductions through the door, used food and treats, gave the big cats extra attention and love... etc. I bought a feliway diffuser. I put all of the litterboxes in easy to access places, and everyone has their own food bowls so there's no competition. We even did introductions all over again because it didn't work the first time. But the big kitties still gang up on the small cat and the small cat just flops down on the ground and cowers.

We've had to split our apartment in half with the big kitties on one side, and the little kitty on the other side. Now that she has had surgery, we will keep them separated until she heals, because I can't risk them hurting her. But once she is better, we would like to try again. Any off the wall advice would be appreciated :)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people have had luck with a baby gate and feeding one cat on either side so they associate each other with food. Have to tried This?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sjoh197

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We did something similar the first time, and one of the big kitties would eat there, because she was food driven, but the other would just wait. The hissing would resume immediately after the food was gone. The vet suggested feeding them in different areas so that the little kitty wouldn't be seen as "competition". We tried this too... but nothing changed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sjoh197

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, but I'm more concerned that the little kitty cowers and slinks around. She will just fall down and let them hit her. This can't be a good dynamic. When we didn't have them separated, they would strategically corner her together and not let her leave.