Introducing two new cats to each other and household

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I lost both of my cats this year, and I am preparing to adopt two new ones. I am hoping to get a bonded pair, but I may need to get two cats who do not know each other.

I successfully introduced my younger cat to my older cat a number of years ago, but have never introduced two brand new cats.

Wonder if anyone has and if you have any suggestions?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get two kittens = guarrantied friendship regardless of introduction process. You can get already bonded kittens if you like, but it really doesn't make much difference because any two kittens will become friends. If you want adults, then sure, a bonded pair is much easier. Failing that, cats under two years of age tend to do pretty well meeting new cats. Age is probably the biggest predictor, with activity level a close second. Inactive cats don't tend to do well with active cats (which is obviously a part of the age issue).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think I want kittens.

I wonder how cats that are both 5-ish would do? I know...lots of factors, including their activity level, personality, etc...Just thinking out loud.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I want kittens.

I wonder how cats that are both 5-ish would do? I know...lots of factors, including their activity level, personality, etc...Just thinking out loud.
Could be easy and go great, or be a difficult intro. Might be besties quickly, or never get to true friendship. Even if you try hard to match personality/activity levels, its always going to be a roll of the dice. You won't know till you know. If I had a 5 year old, certainly I wouldn't hesitate to take in another five year old owned by a relative or whatever, but its probably not something I would personally plan on/set out to do, not when there are surely two x two year olds out there looking for homes, and the odds of friendship are much better for that combo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, ArtNJ! Yes, I'm hoping to get the 2 yo bonded pair. Just trying to think ahead, in case.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, with a bonded pair age obviously doesnt really matter to how they get along, since you already know they get along, but with strangers to each other 2 x 1-2 y.o.s. is the easiest intro if you want adults and want a very good chance that they will be friends. Of course, they might be active enough to tire you out, but better that than taking the chance that two stanger older cats will never like each other. Cats, on average, just seem to get less adaptible as they age.

Good luck!