Introducing Two Kittens From Different Litters

HunterLee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I’m new to this forum and I’m happy to be here. I recently adopted an orange tabby kitten around 3.5 months old little over a week ago. He went through a period of separation anxiety as he had another kitten in his kennel at the animal shelter. Unfortunately I didn’t adopt that kitten ( she was gone the next day ). I decided to adopt another kitten who is around 2.5 months old beige colored orange to give my other kitten a playmate. I brought the other kitten into his safe room which more than likely smelled like my other kitten when he was in there, so I’m sure he’s acclimated to the smell. Let’s just say the two kittens are total opposites. The older is relaxed and enjoys lap naps and some play time. The younger is very energetic. The older hisses each time he hears the other kitten when he’s close and the littlest just wants to play. He’s even hissed at the younger’s blanket. Ive rubbed some towels with the younger kittens scent and placed it under the older’s food. If anyone has any tips to introducing these two little balls of love I’d be most appreciative! I know it takes time, so I’ll be as patient as possible and not rush anything.

Thanks,
Hunter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! The kittens are so young that I am surprised there would be much of an introduction process necessary, but it in this case it is apparently needed. Here are a some articles about introducing cats to one another. I even added one about introducing a kitten to an older cat, just in case there are tips that would apply, given the 'older' kitten is much more laid back than your 'younger' kitten. I hope they help!

Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, make sure that you put the older kitten in the safe room while allowing the younger one to roam the house for several hours a day. This will spread the scent of both kittens throughout the house,and increase the younger kitten's confidence in his new home. We tend to overlook how important this step is, but cats mark what is theirs. So having both scents everywhere will help your older kitten to understand that the younger one does belong there, too.

Some hissing is ok, so long as there are no attacks. They're discussing the rules of the road, that's all.

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My fiance adopted our two cats (before he met me) under very similar circumstances. He got one from the shelter and then 6 months later another one from the same shelter but different litter, both were kittens a little under a year at the time. He took great care to make sure they were introduced properly. They were kept apart for an entire week before allowed to meet and it was very gradual. He kept the new kitten in a closed room, and allowed the other one to sniff the door. They would paw each other under the door, etc. When they finally "met" they fought a little bit, but beyond that they were fine. I think the key is to just be patient with them. They are kittens and most likely they will adapt. As for having two cats with entirely different personalities, our cats are. I often wonder if they adapted to be that way, or if they just were born that way. Our tuxie (the one that came later) is lazy, but fearless, very food driven, mild mannered, would never hurt a fly and is pretty aloof when it comes to cuddling or attention. She however protects her sister and knows her sister is in control lol. Our ragdoll does not like to eat, is skittish, but very active and she loves to cuddle and can get temperamental. I often think they if both cats were exactly the same there would be more fighting, they compliment each other. And after almost 13 years they still have their moments where they fight, but overall they are perfect together.