Introducing The Father To The Kittens, Help

Calicat1289

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey guys,

My cat Cali recently gave birth (2days ago) to 5 beautiful kittens. As she is a house cat and my other cat is also a house cat he is of course the father. I am just unsure of how to let him meet the babies I have tried to a little and he hissed at them from afar which has made me cautious to introduce him at all now, any advise would be appreciated.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not let him anywhere near the mother cat until about a month after he is neutered. He can immediately get her pregnant again and you don't want another accident to happen! He could even harm the babies to get to her. Please neuter him and spay her when the kittens are weaned. Do you have homes lined up for the babies yet?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes if he isnt spontaneously caretaking, and he is mostly afraid, there is no big point with introducing them early.

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
isn't it dangerous for the babies, to have a male cat come near?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. After all what is the advantage of having him around mom? Mom wants it quiet & safe for her babies.

I vote neuter him now and keep him away from mom/kittens until the kittens are 6 weeks old ....... & then see how he does ...... while keeping a very close eye on him! If he shows any signs of aggression separate him until the kittens are adopted out (or try again in a couple of weeks if you are keeping the kittens.) ..... however adorable kitten pictures are always appreciated by us on this website.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Calicat1289

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would not let him anywhere near the mother cat until about a month after he is neutered. He can immediately get her pregnant again and you don't want another accident to happen! He could even harm the babies to get to her. Please neuter him and spay her when the kittens are weaned. Do you have homes lined up for the babies yet?

He was actually neutered just before she must have fallen pregnant which is why I was a bit shocked when I noticed she was getting fatter, I don't have homes yet I was will probably look into this in a few more weeks, just struggling with the introduction at moment, with him always being there as they are house cats:(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Calicat1289

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree. After all what is the advantage of having him around mom? Mom wants it quiet & safe for her babies.

I vote neuter him now and keep him away from mom/kittens until the kittens are 6 weeks old ....... & then see how he does ...... while keeping a very close eye on him! If he shows any signs of aggression separate him until the kittens are adopted out (or try again in a couple of weeks if you are keeping the kittens.) ..... however adorable kitten pictures are always appreciated by us on this website.
I know its just hard to keep them apart when both of them are hosue cats and are always around one another and when the kittens want to begin walking around I feel as though I will be more paranoid because he wont know what they are :(

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens will need to be contained to a single kitten-proof room at first, and should stay away from your male until you are confident that they are safe. You have time.

Please be sure to keep them with mom until they are at least 10-12 weeks old. They should be vaccinated, dewormed, and ideally fixed before they are rehomed.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was actually neutered just before she must have fallen pregnant which is why I was a bit shocked when I noticed she was getting fatter.
Yes, as you found out, males can sire litters for a few weeks after they are neutered... this happens fairly frequently (and I don't know why veterinarians don't warn people about it more often!) At this point, he shouldn't be able to get her pregnant again, but it is still preferable to keep him and all other cats away from mom and kittens, ideally until the kittens are old enough to have had a couple of rounds of vaccinations.