Introducing Newly bought 2 YR old cat to my 5 month old kitten.

la flame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So i just bought a sweet 2 year old adult cat who has 4 cats in his home and noticed that he was having trouble keeping up with all 4. I also bought the cat because she was the friendliest cat ive ever encountered in my life. She is also Spayed. I will be bringing her to my home soon.

the thing is, I also have a 5-month-old kitten who has been living with me since 2 months old and is already used to her routine life as well. she is getting spayed in a few weeks as well.

I read a lot about introducing a kitten into an adult cat's home but never where an adult cat is being introduced into a kitten's home. I was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and if the process differs from any other circumstance.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's our article about the process, in case you hadn't seen it... How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – Cat Articles

The process is pretty much the same when the new cat is older. SHE will be the one in the seclusion area. Generally, it is fairly easy to introduce kittens to female cats, even when those cats are spayed. Not always, but generally. Just take it slow, and if problems arise, we'll deal with them as they come!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

la flame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's our article about the process, in case you hadn't seen it... How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – Cat Articles

The process is pretty much the same when the new cat is older. SHE will be the one in the seclusion area. Generally, it is fairly easy to introduce kittens to female cats, even when those cats are spayed. Not always, but generally. Just take it slow, and if problems arise, we'll deal with them as they come!
im looking forward to it. im optimistic it will be a smooth transition. they are both friendly cats

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience bringing an adult cat into a home with a kitten is a little easier than visa versa. A kitten isnt quite as territorial about their home as an adult would be. But the adult cat still needs plenty of time to get used to their new surroundings before meeting the kitten, so keeping the adult in a separate room until they feel relaxed and confident in their surroundings is important. The rest of the introduction will likely go smoothly but you still need to take it slowly and judge each cats reaction as you proceed. I think because they are both young they will be buddies and playmates pretty quickly.