Introducing New Timid Cat

tamu708

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I adopted a shy five year old male cat who I named Yunis one month ago.  He was found abandoned after his family had moved.  He was originally placed in a shelter but couldn't handle the stress.  He was then moved into a foster home and had been there for about a week when I adopted him.  He is also front declawed (I don't understand how anyone can have a cat declawed).

The first week he was home, I kept him in his own bedroom (safe room).  He seemed to get comfortable around me fairly quickly although he would still startle when hearing a loud noise and run behind the bed.  The second week I did the scent swapping thing with him and the two resident cats Sandra and Basil (Sanra is 17 and Basil 12).  The two resident cats don't seem to be interested.  The third week, I would lock up the Sandra and Basil and let Yunis explore the house.  He is very curious about exploring and doesn't hide when let out.  This fourth week I have put up a gate and left the door open so they can see each other.  I have played with them and given treats on opposite sides of the gate.  

I have noticed more hissing and growling from the new cat Yunis.  Him and Basil, who is also male, will sniff each other's noses against the gate, then Yunis will growl and slap the gate.  Sandra and Yunis have hissed as well.  

Yunis is very sweet with me and will purr and sleep with me on the bed.

My question is if I am doing this correctly?  When should I start letting them meet without the gate for short periods of time.  I am worried that Yunis will end up showing signs of aggression.  Is it normal for the new cat to be hissing and growling more than the resident cats?  

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing everything right.  One thing I would suggest is if there is any hissing or growling I would go back to the step when everyone was happy & stay there until you feel you can more ahead again. Maybe switch sites more often so the new cat get the lay of the land & more time to smell the others around the house before letting them see each other.  Also,   before the baby gate I would feed them on opposite sides of the door with the door closed.  This associates good things while everyone is together.  I have also heard that a brief look the first couple times is enough rather than letting them have time to do anything.  You can increase the time they see each other slowly.  Some cats require a lot more time than others.  Good luck & let us know how it is going!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamu708

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I played with Basil and Yunis on either side of the gate today.  Both enjoyed playing and neither hissed or growled.  I gave them both treats afterwards as a reward.  We had also just had a thunderstorm and Yunis was terrified.  When he saw Basil on the other side of the gate he came out and seemed more at ease.  At least I think he did.  I don't want to jinx it.  Hopefully, I can continue this back and forth play with this positive outcome.  I'm also continuing to lock up Sandra and Basil and let Yunis explore the house.

I'm now concerned with Sandra and Yunis getting along.  He is in a bedroom upstairs and she mostly stays downstairs.  The first time she saw Yunis both hissed.  But the second time she didn't seem interested in him.  I'm hoping that's a good sign.